C4 Forums | Control4

Echo integration

Tokead

Question

I've just bought an Echo Dot, and I've linked it with my 4Sight account and can control the lights and volume. I'd like to use it to turn on music and perhaps wake up scenes. Can I do any of that in HE, or do I need a dealer?

What does the Epic Driver add that C4 doesn't? I don't have heat or blinds, only music, lighting and video in multi-zones, so I'm not looking for anything over the top.

The Dot is going in my daughter's room, where she has a speakerpoint. It's not set to local; can I plug the echo into it and have it play through her speakers? Also, if I bought another one, could I plug it into my amp or HC800 and have it stream through the house?

Thanks,

Toke

2 answers to this question

There are numerous posts on the Epic Driver versus the Native driver. The main two advantages (over the native Voice Scenes) Driver are:

1. No need for 4sight - although I’ve never understood how a serious C4 user manages without 4sight (but that is another discussion); and,

2. It reacts significantly (at least in my part of the world) faster than the native driver as it does not need to go out to external servers to respond to the commands.

I don’t use the  active Voice Scenes Driver, so there may be other advantages that I am missing (for instance, I don’t think it has a SET command but may be wrong).  I use the native C4 driver for most lighting control as it is so easy to set up and the Epic driver for almost everything else (as it is fast). I use the Chowmain IFTTT driver for commands with reserved words.  I believe that you can now get round this with Alexa routines (but have not tried as routines are currently only available on the Alexa iOS and Android apps and not on the web version... I cannot access the app as it is not available in the South African App Store).

Archived