C4 Forums | Control4

SSHing into director

Just a random thought. The director is where all project data etc is stored right?

doesnt that mean if you SSHd into it and dug deep enough you could theoretically modify settings with ssh? Even composer pro ones?

obviously not going to try this, but just a thought I had :) 

Just a random thought. The director is where all project data etc is stored right?
doesnt that mean if you SSHd into it and dug deep enough you could theoretically modify settings with ssh? Even composer pro ones?
obviously not going to try this, but just a thought I had  
Yes. Highly unsupported and likely to break things.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

obviously not going to try this, but just a thought I had :) 

Yes, you could t0tally c0ntr0l your system this way.

Actually there can be good reasons to ssh in - this is probably the quickest way to reboot a controller if you aren't already running Composer on your PC.

Also a good way to reboot a C4 controller from OSes like Linux and OSX.

i use SSH for this most of the time. given i lock down my network pretty hard, i have a jumphost that's SSH only (cert-based) into my home network from external, from there i can jump to whatever i need: NAS, switchgear, PDUs, and of course the controllers. 

that being said, my root password has been changed on the project/controllers. 

2 hours ago, crazybuppie said:

I can't say anything about "supported", but that works fine.

And I am guessing that is what is used by the driver(s) that reboot your controller.  It has to be better than just cutting power to the controller.

Archived