C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI 8X8 switcher?

Sorry folks - I am new to the Forum and have searched (perhaps poorly) for information on:

What type of HDMI 8x8 (or 6x6) switcher is out there that works with C4? I am just looking to have a dealer get involved with the overall design, and am trying to understand possible solutions ahead of time.

Building a new house and figure this is the time to future proof the video part with HDMI cabling. Farthest run would be about 50 feet.

There must be some tried and tested quality switchers that have been installed that people are happy with?

Many thanks for any leads/links.

Steve

As of right now, HDMI switching is extremely expensive. You could run 2 CAT6 cables to each TV location and use component video for now and still have the cabling available for the future.

HDMI Matrix Switchers: Gefen has a 8x8 solution for $2500 and Videostorm has a 4x4 for $1400.

We're not using HDMI on any of our installs at this point in time. Too expensive, too many bugs (hdcp handshakes), and no real gain over component and digital coax. At some point, yes, we will switch but until then IMO the technology needs to mature a bit, as far as distribution is concerned.

As lippavisual said, you can use cat5/6 baluns for component. This is currently how we're doing it in most jobs with the Neopro Concord.

I'm also looking at this big time. See my post: Ticking ALL the High Def video 1080p "boxes"

The problem with component now is that if you want to switch to Bluray, all the players I have found won't upscale to 1080 over component. The darn manufacturers are trying to "lock" everyone in to HDMI. So you are stuck with all your DVD's playing at a LOWER native resolution. Am I right???

The problem with HDMI (other than cost) is said to be reliability..particularly over long lengths...though I have no actual personal experience. Also what do you do about (your recently purchased) surround amp that has no HDMI!!!

...So I'm also yet to decide what to do

I've considered the Purelink AV hx6600, though this seems real expensive

I have also found a switch system that does both HDMI and component...which seems the best of both worlds..take a look at the Videostorm gear. The HMX44 has discrete digital out...which solves the "no HDMI" input to the surround amp issue. You can also apparently connect it back into their older CMX component gear. Let me know what you think. My idea is to use HDMI over short runs into my new full High def displays (in the family area) and use component into the older gear over longer runs(bedroom/study) . But I haven't seen it, or don't know if there is a C4 driver for this entire setup. (they have one for the CMX) I'd love to know if any one is using it. Mr Codeman...have you done this?? Could this dual setup be controlled with C4? I'll email their support and see what they say....

I'm finding this a real hard decision...laying out a lot of (soon to be) redundant cabling and gear can be real expensive..particularly with all the balun connections and all. Yeh I know you can pull conduit, but it sure would be great if there was a robust HDMI solution out there....

The problem with component now is that if you want to switch to Bluray, all the players I have found won't upscale to 1080 over component. The darn manufacturers are trying to "lock" everyone in to HDMI. So you are stuck with all your DVD's playing at a LOWER native resolution. Am I right???

For me, it doesnt matter. Now matter how high you "upscale", the source is still always 480p dvd. Some expensive scalers/upconverters, do this very well. Most do not. I'd rather view the DVDs at their native resloution, without a lot of signal mickey-mousing. So really, as long as its not worse than 480p... YMMV though.

I have also found a switch system that does both HDMI and component...which seems the best of both worlds..take a look at the Videostorm gear. The HMX44 has discrete digital out...which solves the "no HDMI" input to the surround amp issue. You can also apparently connect it back into their older CMX component gear. Let me know what you think. My idea is to use HDMI over short runs into my new full High def displays (in the family area) and use component into the older gear over longer runs(bedroom/study) . But I haven't seen it, or don't know if there is a C4 driver for this entire setup. (they have one for the CMX) I'd love to know if any one is using it. Mr Codeman...have you done this?? Could this dual setup be controlled with C4? I'll email there support and see what they say....

I'm finding this a real hard decision...laying out a lot of (soon to be) redundant cabling and gear can be real expensive..particularly with all the balun connections and all. Yeh I know you can pull conduit, but it sure would be great if there was a robust HDMI solution out there....

You could do this with the switch, you just have to make sure you have component and HDMI hooked up for your sources, as nothing will downconvert from HDMI to component without breaking HDCP, and that's not exactly what Hollywood had in mind.

Your life would be easier, in my opinion, if you used a switch that used baluns and cat5 cables, that way should something else come along, you simply change out the baluns and dont have to worry about cables. Plus, cat5 is much cheaper - at home depot, it's $100 for 1000' as an example. The only difference is the cost is higher vs regular component switching, but I havent compared it to an HDMI solution directly as far as costs go.

They're not paying me to sell it, but NeoPro makes the Concord that will transmit 1080p over 2 hdmi cables up to 1000'. Yes, it's "only" component and digital coax, but when the time comes for HDMI, simply replace the switch and your baluns and dont worry about the cables.

This switch does have RS232 drivers and we have used them, in fact just installed one myself two weeks ago in Austin. Pick your dealer's brain and see what they think.

For 'future proofing" I would go with Cat6, as I'm reading that is what it will take for 1440p HDMI baluns to fly.

As for up-converting players, it's this guy right here>>> http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=xd-e500

I have put in about a dozen or so of these and they are amazing. At Cedia last year they had it set up playing a standard DVD side by side with a BluRay player, and it was REALLY hard to see a difference.

Thanks for the input.

I have to buy a lot of the components on each end (TVs, Blueray/amps etc) and figured this was time to go all HDMI. I will try to make pulling future HDMI cable easy (using conduit etc) and hopefully something will come along that will work. In the meantime, two Cat6 to each TV may be the answer while the house is being built.

Thanks again.

I have a 4 in 1 HDMI switcher at each one of my locations and that’s as far as I’d string HDMI. I’d never run long runs again!!!! again!!! :)

You learn once and then never make the mistake again…

LOL! Hey I was drinking!

But really, for an $80 player, that's it IMO. I've had clients notice the diff too, and thank me for it.

I hated to sell my HD DVD players. That was the best feature besides the awesome HD picture - the superior upconversion of SD DVDs.

• 2 weeks later...

That is just a 4x1 switcher, not an 8x8 matrix switch.

Regarding upconversion of DVDs... Ive found that using moderate motion enhancement on my 120Hz Sony TV does wonders more than any upconverting players. It really sharpens the edges and makes everything look much higher quality.

Archived