C4 Forums | Control4

z-wave

hello,

This might seem dummy for me to ask but, can I run both networks at the same time from EA1 running 2.10.6? all I have installed is zigbee, wonder if I could add some z-wave devices, like locks, tats and maybe some switches. 

19 hours ago, C4BeLL0 said:

hello,

This might seem dummy for me to ask but, can I run both networks at the same time from EA1 running 2.10.6? all I have installed is zigbee, wonder if I could add some z-wave devices, like locks, tats and maybe some switches. 

A Vera controller with zwave devices paired to it can be integrated into control4.  Not all devices but quite a large list.  It's a learning curve to set up. You will lose sleep as you'll spend more than quadruple the time to setup everything twice.  Once into the Vera and once into c4.  It's pretty reliable once you're all set up.

The c4 zwave dongle can only integrate a small list of wave devices but its less time consuming to set up and certainly better than nothing.

Nothing integrates better than c4 native zigbee devices. Just an fyi.  You'll get the best experience and integration is much less time consuming.  The zigbee mesh you end up creating in c4 benefits you with reliable 2 way communication and great coverage as you reach to further ends of the house by adding more zigbee (repeating) devices.

If you have Z-Wave light switches, and you don’t want/can’t use C4 switches, Vera is your best option for integration. Unless something has changed, C4 Z-wave module/dongle doesn’t support Z-wave light switches. 

I have a house full of cheap GE zwave switches, and thanks to Ari (chopedogg88), they all are well integrated. I wouldn’t do it again, though. Can’t beat native C4 switches/dimmers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 9:30 AM, Elvis said:

If you have Z-Wave light switches, and you don’t want/can’t use C4 switches, Vera is your best option for integration. Unless something has changed, C4 Z-wave module/dongle doesn’t support Z-wave light switches. 

I have a house full of cheap GE zwave switches, and thanks to Ari (chopedogg88), they all are well integrated. I wouldn’t do it again, though. Can’t beat native C4 switches/dimmers. 

I am at the point where I am considering light switches to use and GE was one of the options. Choices are GE Zwave/Control4/Lutron RadioRa2. Can you share your experience and why you would not want to do this again?

Didn’t see it on your list but consider Lutron Castea switches/dimmers with a Smart Bridge Pro. Inexpensive and very easy to integrate in C4.  Most of my upstairs had LC switches and dimmers for the last few years and they have worked flawlessly.  Big plus is that you can use Pico remotes in your project.  The biggest downside is some event limitations (e.g. no double tap support, have to program directly against light level) and there is a slight delay in AL scenes with mixed LC/C4 devices, but until I needed double tap and LED control those were minor inconveniences given the massive cost difference between C4 switches/dimmers and the Lutron Castea ones.

23 minutes ago, aag said:

I am at the point where I am considering light switches to use and GE was one of the options. Choices are GE Zwave/Control4/Lutron RadioRa2. Can you share your experience and why you would not want to do this again?

I have had a couple of switches fail. I had issues keeping a plug paired. But the main thing is Vera. This is by far the best choice for integrating these GE/Z-Wave switches, but now you have to set everything up in Vera and then integrate it. I was retrofitting a house and I the cost of replacing all the switches at once was a big factor in my decision. If I had it to do over again, I would have not tried to do it all at once and just bought the switches a few at a time and eventually I would have had the house done. I guess you can get anything engraved, but the C4 engraving that I've seen is top notch. We had three areas in the house (and we lived there 4+ years) and we never could remember what switch did what. Would've been perfect for  engraved C4 switches. 

There is another reason if you plan on using Josh's Homebridge appliance so you have homekit compatibility, you have yet another layer and the GE fan controls can be an issue via homekit. Not an issue with C4 directly but if you tell Siri to turn on the fan, it will likely come on at 100%.

I have since sold that home. An unexpected plus was that I'm leaving the $100 Vera controller and the GE/Zwave switches and they still have a smart home with automated lights, fans, etc.

Right now we are living in our lake cabin, which will likely turn into a guest house. I am going to experiment with Lutron Caseta with a smartbridge pro. This natively supports homekit and Ari says it integrates very well. I'll know first hand in a month or so. If we built tomorrow and I had to decide soon, it would be C4 or Elan. (Know nothing about Elan, but my local dealer, also my brother-in-law, installs a bunch of it around here.)

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys, 

We just released FlexBox-Z which is alternative solution to Vera hub with closer integration to C4. FlexBox is a Z-Wave bridge designed and build to work with Control4. It allows to connect any Z-Wave device and configure the entire Z-Wave system right in the Composer with out a need for 3rd party Apps. The FlexBox-Z connects to C4 via LAN or WLAN and can be powered by 5V power supply or PoE. Let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.