C4 Forums | Control4

Budget Friendly Amp for Multi-zone Audio

I wonder if anyone has any good experiences they would share integrating a low cost (i.e. $200 retail) two zone amp with C4 for very basic multi room audio. The primary audio application I'm looking at here is streaming mp3's to either or both of two rooms - a main room with an HC-300, the A/V equipment and speakers, and a second room having only speakers.

(I understand that using C4 switches/amps is the best practice for multi zone audio distribution if the $ is there. However, for this very basic application, a $1k plus audio switch, etc., just seems like overkill.)

Thanks,

Cliff

Take a look at Rotel. They have a great range of low cost power amps. www.rotel.com.

Some 2 channel (which you can loop) and some say 6 channel..

The real beauty of them is some of the range has auto signal sensing. So when the music signal arrives at the rca input on the amp, the amp switches on.

This makes them incredibly easy to integrate into any multiroom system as you don't need 12V trigger control (though most have that as well).

I thoroughly recommend these amps (and NO I'm a customer not a dealer).

Take a look at Rotel. They have a great range of low cost power amps. www.rotel.com.

Some 2 channel (which you can loop) and some say 6 channel..

The real beauty of them is some of the range has auto signal sensing. So when the music signal arrives at the rca input on the amp, the amp switches on.

This makes them incredibly easy to integrate into any multiroom system as you don't need 12V trigger control (though most have that as well).

I thoroughly recommend these amps (and NO I'm a customer not a dealer).

Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm not mistaken, I would have to use the 6 channel amp in conjunction with some form of switch in order to have control over zone output, yes? Ideally, I would like to have a single low cost switch/amplifier for this project.

Thanks,

Cliff

For just 2 zones you could just get a cheap multizone receiver...

I wouldn't. This would rear the nasty head of using a multizone receiver for more than one zone and would not yield desireable results.

thecodeman - this warning has come up several times before, but I don't fully understand the exact problem one would encounter trying to use a multizone receiver for the application i describe. can i trouble you to elaborate?

thanks,

cliff

The problem is typically that multi-zone receivers don't handle all the cases that a true AV switch would handle, they typically have holes in the protocol, so there are limitations (there has to be audio on in Z1 for Z2 to operate, or the power management doesn't work -- if you turn off zone 1 and someone was listening in zone 2, the whole receiver shuts off, etc.)

I don't have a full list of limitations, but it makes it nearly impossible to make a fully reliable driver to control it as if it were two independent zones of audio.

Because of these (and others I have not listed) limitations, many dealers will shy away from 2-zone setups using receivers.

RyanE

The problem is typically that multi-zone receivers don't handle all the cases that a true AV switch would handle, they typically have holes in the protocol, so there are limitations (there has to be audio on in Z1 for Z2 to operate, or the power management doesn't work -- if you turn off zone 1 and someone was listening in zone 2, the whole receiver shuts off, etc.)

I don't have a full list of limitations, but it makes it nearly impossible to make a fully reliable driver to control it as if it were two independent zones of audio.

Because of these (and others I have not listed) limitations, many dealers will shy away from 2-zone setups using receivers.

RyanE

ok, thanks, that makes sense.

Sorry but I have to disagree on the whole 'don't use zone 2' concept... but it won't be a budget receiver.

I have this Pioneer VSX-05 serving zone 2 to the C4 amp over an audio balun from the rca outputs. It runs 4 out of the 5 sources to the C4 amp, and it works like a charm. A quality piece with discrete ir codes is a wonderful thing.

Picture014.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Pics taken from this thread... http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3039 (<<<shameless plug :) )

There are exceptions to every rule.

There are without a doubt receivers that have a full Zone 2 codeset and work fine.

There are a *LOT* more that don't. For that reason, Control4 typically recommends that dealers not 'sell' that feature.

RyanE

The primary audio application I'm looking at here is streaming mp3's to either or both of two rooms - a main room with an HC-300, the A/V equipment and speakers, and a second room having only speakers.

The HC-300 has two audio outs. You could use one for the main room connected to an A/V receiver and the second to an amp. The A/V receiver would control the volumne in the main room and the HC-300 would control the volumne in the second room having only speakers.

I would look at the Parasound Zamp for about $350; over your budget but a great amp.

• 2 months later...

From what i hear, Integra receivers have the best Zone2 control.

I've talked to several integrators that have done many and they say it works great.

But yea...$200 isnt gonna get you an integra :)

Why not just run the 2nd audio out from the hc300 into an amp for the 2nd room? does it need to be more complex than that? The 300 will stream your music and handle volume control.

Archived