C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge Question

ILoveC4

So, for my new place I'm contemplating switching from a PFSense router and Ubiquity WAP's to Pakedge. Looking at the RK-1 and 3 of the WK-2 WAP's. Can anyone speak to whether they think this will be an improvement, a lateral move or a step backwards?

In my current home wireless performance isn't awesome, but I also like incredibly close to a commercial office complex and at my house can pickup well over 100 different wireless networks. I'm thinking getting away from all that noise will help, but I'm also realizing the gear I have is 9+ years old. Would love any feedback/real world experience anyone has with Pakedge.

Surely a commercial office is better than a high density residential neighborhood like mine in NYC. All the network administrator know to use 1-6-11 and narrowing 5G and all the equipment is less likely to be noisy.

Idiots with WiFi on the wrong channels making noise for everyone are the bane of NYC.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

So, for my new place I'm contemplating switching from a PFSense router and Ubiquity WAP's to Pakedge. Looking at the RK-1 and 3 of the WK-2 WAP's. Can anyone speak to whether they think this will be an improvement, a lateral move or a step backwards?

In my current home wireless performance isn't awesome, but I also like incredibly close to a commercial office complex and at my house can pickup well over 100 different wireless networks. I'm thinking getting away from all that noise will help, but I'm also realizing the gear I have is 9+ years old. Would love any feedback/real world experience anyone has with Pakedge.

Why are you contemplating switching?  Are you having issues?

You may also want to look at Araknis which should be fully supported now as well.  Not sure what the price difference between Pakedge and Araknis is.

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

You may also want to look at Araknis which should be fully supported now as well.  Not sure what the price difference between Pakedge and Araknis is.

Yeah, I can look at Araknis too. I’ve got my WAP’s installed in places that aren’t easily accessible and considering their age I think I’m just going to leave them. 

Performance as I mentioned, isn’t amazing. Could be due to outside factors. I’ll get a price quote on the Pakedge stuff and then make a decision. I don’t love the difficulty level associated with certain things in PFSense. 

When I first installed the  NK1 it was with the understanding that it would route the traffic / handoffs of the waps, I quickly learned the NK1 does nothing but provide a central management interface for the access points and nothing else. I found myself always just logging into the individual WX/WK waps anyway so the NK1 did nothing for me

These days I am using Araknis and the AP range was much greater. We had to lower the signals in some of them close to the EA controllers running Zigbee

11 hours ago, Cartnj said:

When I first installed the  NK1 it was with the understanding that it would route the traffic / handoffs of the waps, I quickly learned the NK1 does nothing but provide a central management interface for the access points and nothing else. I found myself always just logging into the individual WX/WK waps anyway so the NK1 did nothing for me

These days I am using Araknis and the AP range was much greater. We had to lower the signals in some of them close to the EA controllers running Zigbee

Do you prefer Araknis to Pakedge?

On 9/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, LollerAgent said:

I can fully support the Araknis point here, we have installed both and we prefer Araknis IMHO

On 9/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, lippavisual said:

Take the money you would spend on Pakedge and buy some Ruckus R510’s Unleashed on amazon.

Well worth the money and performance will be much better than anything else you’d buy. 

I'll repeat this again.  Pakedge and Araknis are OEM'd product with there own software flavor.

Spend the same money on the best, proven, wireless products in the business: Ruckus

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

I'll repeat this again.  Pakedge and Araknis are OEM'd product with there own software flavor.

Spend the same money on the best, proven, wireless products in the business: Ruckus

I can acquire Pakedge and Araknis products far cheaper than I can acquire Ruckus stuff. I'm sure it's great, but I'm looking at significantly higher level of investment than with these 2 product lines/brands...if I can make one of those 2 work that would be my preference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.