C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge Network Equipment

RoadRacer22

Looking to replace my problematic Unifi network environment.

nothing to crazy and quite a small a simplistic network.

My equipment list would be:

Rk1 Router

SX24 Switch

SX24P switch

3x WK2 AP

Pakedge PDU

Does anybody have any feedback on the above, a few companies that I have reached out to have recommenced Cisco or Ruckus but I Simply Dont have the budget for those systems.

Any Feedback would be great.

8 minutes ago, SouthernSmarthome said:

Buy ruckus on amazon. They blow away pakedge.
Switches are ok but ubiquity or Cisco are better again check amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to get away from unifi, while it can be great it has to many silly "beta" issues e.g a comma in my vpn password triggers a payload error.

Mikrotik HapAC or RB3011 ($75/$175) router

Ruckus R510 unleashed from Amazon (~$360 each)

then whatever switch you’re comfortable with.  Personally, I’d rather the Araknis 48 port with POE, than the 2-24 ports you listed above.

All of this would come much lower than what you’ve listed and the WiFi would be the best in the biz. 

then whatever switch you’re comfortable with.  Personally, I’d rather the Araknis 48 port with POE, than the 2-24 ports you listed above.

All of this would come much lower than what you’ve listed and the WiFi would be the best in the biz. 

Love mikrotik, it is the only router I’ll use. Just not for the novice. From a purely functional standpoint though it’s damn hard to beat them as they can do more than arakins, pakedge & Luxul put together.

While I’m not a huge araknis fan i agree that a single 48 port switch is a better way to go.

Their switches are the only araknis product I use.  Readily available and priced decently.
Cisco left a bad taste in my mouth about 14 years ago, so I try to stay clear.
Edgeswitches are very nice too, although more of a PITA to setup. 

Oh yeah I’ve tried araknis (as well as pakedge and Luxul) AP’s and router and for what they cost vs performance it’s a joke.
Araknis, packedge and Luxul as far as I’m concerned are products for people that need IT but don’t understand IT. Same goes for meraki.
Cisco switch’s have been solid as have edge switch’s.

For my new house I’ve purchased the Pakedge Router and WAP’s. I know I got those some WAP’s, the router may be a different model - I got the one with built in 7 port switch.

I too am coming from a less than stellar experience with UniFi WAP’s. For switches, I have 2 Luxul 24 port switches - one that is PoE (surveillance, WAP’s and Just Add Power) and one that is not. They’re both going to be completely full, so a larger switch may be in my future.

I’ll be able to speak to performance in 3 weeks or so once I’ve moved in and got settled. 

On 9/21/2019 at 3:14 PM, SouthernSmarthome said:

Ubiquity is not unifi. Ubiquity has some serious switches

Ive used both ubiquiti and UniFi and no issues for 3 years now with the sole exception of sometimes quirkiness with doorbird SIP integration...  the pakedge stuff looks very nice though but it seems you are tied to dealer integration for cloud access(?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.