C4 Forums | Control4

Video Distribution

Hi

I've been following some threads on C4 and video distribution which has led me to look a little further into how this might work for my upcoming install.

As the HC300 doesn't have capability to distribute video (without some other product eg Netgear EVA8000), I am trying to work out how I will be able to distribute video to a couple of zones in my setup.

I will have a networked computer as well as a 1TB NAS drive, where I intend to keep all of my DVDs, so that I can browse via control4 (with cover art) and play them.

I don't have an EVA8000 (or equivalent) on my equipment list, so am trying to work out (for myself - before I annoy my dealer again..) how this might work.

The only way I can see it working on my current set up would be using a media player on a PC or using the PS3 to play the video. Will this work? Does anyone have any comment on whether this will work well? Can I still browse via C4 with cover art if I use these solutions?

Anyone got a comment on whether I will be able to stream simultaneous movies from the PC/hard drive or PS3?

Thanks

If you want to browse digital media using the built in C4 GUI, you need the netgear EVA8000 or EVA9150.

With regards to being able to stream simultaneous movies from the PC/Hard drive that is not a problem, but you will need one video player (EVA8000 or EVA9150) for each stream.

I would not buy the EVA8000, I would buy the EVA9150. That is what I use at my house and it rocks! I got mine from buy.com for $395 including two day shipping, and that was the day it came out. Maybe the price has dropped slightly in the last 60 days.

Just one more thing - If I was to go with one Netgear EVA9150 to start with, am I right in assuming that the video could be distributed via that Netgear to any TV (ie it is not tied to one home controller) and if anyone else wanted to access video then they could still use the PS3 to distribute (except that I guess there migt be issues if both movies were being accessed from the same hard drive).

Am I right?

ILOVEC4 wrote:

"And yes, anyone can access the EVA9150 as long as it is connected to an A/V Matrix switch."

Can you suggest which A/V Matrix switches are being used out there. I'm new to C4 and planning to buy a system, but video distribution has me concerned. My dealer is suggesting that I need to have a C4 controller at every TV location and everything I've read on the forum leads me to believe otherwise. I'd like to use a HDMI matrix switch if I can find one out there that is affordable. I've already installed dual CAT 6 runs to the TV locations. I'm using HDMI extenders from Tripp Lite and they work fine when I connect a source to the other end...no run is over 60 feet.

Thanks.

I don't think there is a good HDMI matrix switch out there right now, due to HDCP handshake issues.

Your best bet you be to get a switch that allows you to use baluns. If you look around here you can see a couple of threads referencing Zektor switches, and those look awesome.

A lot of people use KNOX, or Key Digital. I personally use a Shinybow switch. It is component video and L/R audio.

I also use one Navigator and run it through my matrix switch as well as opposed to a controller at each TV. The controller at each TV is recommend because of processing power, as well as the fact that if two people try to access the on screen GUI at a time, you will have issues. My wife and I don't use the on screen GUI that much, my kids are too little, and so we have never had an issue.

Edit to fix typo.

We also have had a pretty good track record with the Neopro cat5 matrix switches as well as all neopro switches, but are looking at trying out the new Zektor cat5 units.

one problem ive found with the neopro cat5 system is interference from dimmers (control4 and non control4) -- it may well be a grounding issue or noise on the ac line (or through the cat5) ... just one house where this is an issue

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely look into these suggestions. Does anyone know anything about the Gefen HDMI matrix switches? Hopefully they will solve the problems with HDCP handshaking soon.

Ray, part of the reason that virtually all manufacturers of HDMI switches have issues is that they are forced to design their product to follow the guidelines of DRM. Silicon Image owns the HDMI spec and Intel owns the HDCP license. All manufactures have to pay $5-10K per year to Silicon Image and $15K to Intel annually plus a per unit royalty fee just to be able to produce a problematic design.

We have heard a number of dealers say that the Crestron Digital Media product works really well, if you have $20-40K for a switch that does everything and converts everything. Mind you, that is for the switch alone. I'm no Crestron fan as we compete against them every day with a much better product in the component matrix switch world. I'm not looking to disparage a competitor, so I am just going to alert you that Gefen is the one that I hear about most commonly as having problems with failures out of the box and in the field after running for a while. If you need to stay in HDMI I would continue to get recommendations for a different manufacturer.

If possible I would avoid HDMI distribution for now. If you select a premium component matrix switch you will have a great, reliable result. Other than Blu Ray and other certain combinations, a high quality component signal, such as ours that can transmit up to 450mhz bandwidith, will provide a crystal clear image.

Good luck in your selection and project.

if you want to use hdmi, just use hdfury2's on all the hdmi to convert to component 1080p w/ no hdcp issues .. the gefen works no better or worse than most other hdmi switchers -- in other words it is a crap shoot

Wow! I really appreciate all these excellent responses. Sounds like I need to go with a CAT5/6 matrix switch for right now, that way I can use the cable runs that are already there. I considered going for the RapidRun cabling solution with its flexibility, but it is too expensive compared to CAT5/6.

Jeff at Zektor, thanks for the explanation as to why HDMI, HDCP and DRM are pains in the butt ... singularly and collectively :-) I will definitely give your product a good look.

ILoveC4, I thought you wanted to talk network engineering for a second with the reference to DHCP handshaking, but I came to my senses when you edited your post ;-) I'm a network engineer by day (routing, switching, security, VoIP, wireless) I can't wait until all this stuff is IP and network protocol based!

we distribute bluray all the time over cat5 , with or without using component matrix switchers ..

the sony and neopro switchers support 1080p over component - though not all flat panels do ..

Is there signal quality loss ?

Some - specially really long runs ... but not noticeable on normal runs ..

many Pioneers, Sonys and Samsungs will support 1080p over component -- no panasonics do.

since the PS3, Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player (may be the new models also?), and Xbox360 (prior to the inclusion of HDMI) can all do 1080p over component - look for models that support those ... PS3 forums are a good clue - as the plasma/lcd specs don't always list it.

Just an FYI, Zektor's bandwidth is 450mhz for video. The other manufacturers mentioned here have bandwidth of only 120mhz. If you can get a source to pass component HD up to 1080p or 1440p for that matter, we can pass it with ease. Good luck with your project.

Jeff

Archived