C4 Forums | Control4

Programming keypad LEDs to turn on/off when lights change

zaphod

Can someone point me to a best practice on how to do this.  There are a myriad of ways and sometimes I run into troubles.

For example, how should you trigger the changing of an LED?  When Device Variable Light_State changes?  When the Light event Level Changes?

And what is the difference between LED Button Events and Color Settings?

This is when the keypad button is not bound to a light, but when you just use programming.

What I want to do is similar to what happens when you have a keypad button bond to a dimmer.  When the light is off the LED will be off or one colour, say blue.  But when the light turns on the LED should change to another colour, say green.  And the LED on the keypad should follow the status of the light, whether the light is turned on by that button or whether it is turned on in some other fashion.

just bind the light connection to the button you want to use(top/bottom/toggle). then make sure the keypad button to checked to follow connection. set your color for on/off.. now I have manual programming to change led to red if garage door is open, tricky part is when setting it back because of light on or off state.. Mine works great.. programming a kp to follow lighting scenes I use set current LED state when scene is invoked/ becomes active..

Hope this helps

On 1/31/2020 at 12:52 PM, zaphod said:

What I want to do is similar to what happens when you have a keypad button bond to a dimmer.  When the light is off the LED will be off or one colour, say blue.  But when the light turns on the LED should change to another colour, say green.  And the LED on the keypad should follow the status of the light, whether the light is turned on by that button or whether it is turned on in some other fashion.

this can be programmed you the light events and based off that with conditionals you can change the current led color on the button in questions. As other have stated this is very easily done with a binding but you must have pro for this. 

3 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

this can be programmed you the light events and based off that with conditionals you can change the current led color on the button in questions. As other have stated this is very easily done with a binding but you must have pro for this. 

3 hours ago, tdougray said:

Ha that’s me but in reverse 🤣🤣

anything other than black for off is weird!!! 

9 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

anything other than black for off is weird!!! 

If you don't have engraved buttons with backlighting enabled, then it can in certain situations be useful for the button LEDs to be lit whether the load is on or off ot make it easy to find the keypad and identify the button layout in the dark. Red for Off and Blue for On works for me.

12 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

If you don't have engraved buttons with backlighting enabled, then it can in certain situations be useful for the button LEDs to be lit whether the load is on or off ot make it easy to find the keypad and identify the button layout in the dark.

Exactly, see not that much of a weirdo!

well maybe a little on colour selection 🤣

On 1/31/2020 at 7:52 PM, zaphod said:

Zaphod, just to follow up on this with further clarification, what you describe is merely changing what the on/off colour is for the LEDs. This can be set at the start of programming a project and all keypads added will assume this configuration, or for keypads already in the project you just need to change it on a per keypad basis. No other drivers are required for this, it is a basic function of keypad programming within Composer Pro.

See examples below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgul0pdptgjmwke/Screenshot 2020-02-08 11.10.51.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws4hcomoa16bode/Screenshot 2020-02-08 11.11.58.png?dl=0

7 hours ago, Crustyloafer said:

If you don't have engraved buttons with backlighting enabled, then it can in certain situations be useful for the button LEDs to be lit whether the load is on or off ot make it easy to find the keypad and identify the button layout in the dark. Red for Off and Blue for On works for me.

I have engravings on everything and even change the backlight for engravings to colors to indicate the state of my home or garage door. Maybe im cheap  and just want to save the electricty cost of running leds when the light is off haha.

2 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

I have engravings on everything and even change the backlight for engravings to colors to indicate the state of my home or garage door. Maybe im cheap  and just want to save the electricty cost of running leds when the light is off haha.

I will be getting engraved buttons soon, but I keep putting it off as I don't want to spend money on engravings only to decide afterwards I want to change what the button does. I'm a serial tinkerer so there is always that risk.

8 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

I will be getting engraved buttons soon, but I keep putting it off as I don't want to spend money on engravings only to decide afterwards I want to change what the button does. I'm a serial tinkerer so there is always that risk.

I have the same problem so went with as generic as buttons as i could and just program what i want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.