C4 Forums | Control4

EA5 Requesting System Password?

23 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

But in all seriousness, define a developer and not doing the work?

In C4's case, you would think the engineers aren't heavily involved in the beta testing process (as in spending 8 or more hours a day literally sitting there using the system) - but focused on recreating and fixing reported issues (in other words, fix issues, not find them)

Developer and tester are different roles in a software development process. Sure, in small companies these roles are often covered by the same people, but actually they shouldn´t. (i´m not talking about a small company/one-man shop)

So you're saying any and every iOS and android app developer must test on each iteration of the base OS on each possible hardware?

No, i´m not saying that. You should define reasonable test environments. For instance, focus on major OS versions or leave different hardware out of scope when it´s just too diverse out there. At least you should have the main working environments covered.
What exactly is "reasonable" depends on the resources you have and what goal you want to achieve with the process.
For C4, "reasonable" should of course cover both packages "Pro" and "HE".

If you're taling about this issue with HE, then yeah, they should probably have a laptop or 4,5 lying around to check basic functions like this - but again keep in mind that ComposerHE is NOT different software for 99% from ComposerPRO, so intense testing of every aspect of HE is redundant because those components are identical to PRO already.

That´s the whole point about regression testing: you test functionality that has well worked in the past to find out if it´s broken in the new build.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Because they are not Control4

Because every Sonos device and every iPhone of their respective generation is the same, singular device whereas custom systems like C4 are dependent on many more variables

Because they are not a dealer installed product

And I also mean that you are not, cannot be, aware of what is already involved in C4's beta process. So you are making assumptions on what is or is not done already.

All I hear is because they are not Control 4 

So simple to Sort - But people stuck in there ways 

Not making assumptions - Just pointing out other people use end users as Beta Testers 

Q - What is wrong with a end user testing software on HE ?

A - Because we are Control4 and We are Scared of End Users !!

9 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No company has perfect test cases and wonders like this lead to new test cases that will be fixed for next time

Mitch I agree and things do go wrong - But this was a classic - It would have been spotted in less than 20 Secs of a End User starting up HE 

Great its sorted out and to be honest its only properly effected a few people - But it most flag up issues with Testing ?

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

All I hear is because they are not Control 4 

So simple to Sort - But people stuck in there ways 

Not making assumptions - Just pointing out other people use end users as Beta Testers 

Q - What is wrong with a end user testing software on HE ?

A - Because we are Control4 and We are Scared of End Users !!

So all you hear is what you want to hear.

Well that's one way of ending a discussion.

Watching the install of the new version, it looks like one of the last steps is to generate a security certificate.  My guess is that they missed that step in the previous iteration and that was causing the problems.  In any event - we're up and running now.  This is a new arena for Composer, running independent versions of the software from the OS Management on the Control4 hub, so some growing pains are to be expected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.