C4 Forums | Control4

DaHua camera Help

rf9000

All,

I’m looking to do 8-10 outdoor cameras with DVR/NVR. I would like the cameras to have great Day and night vision, be powered by POE or POE+, and have that Starvis feature that I see others mention. I also would like them to be either 6MP or 8MP. Can y’all please recommend certain model numbers of cameras that would work best along with the best recording DVR/NVR? Preferably the best stuff that will also work within C4. Thanks for your time and the help

2 hours ago, rf9000 said:

All,

I’m looking to do 8-10 outdoor cameras with DVR/NVR. I would like the cameras to have great Day and night vision, be powered by POE or POE+, and have that Starvis feature that I see others mention. I also would like them to be either 6MP or 8MP. Can y’all please recommend certain model numbers of cameras that would work best along with the best recording DVR/NVR? Preferably the best stuff that will also work within C4. Thanks for your time and the help

6-8MP cameras won't have the best night vision.  You more than likely don't need 6-8MP to achieve what you want.  The Dahua cams you are referencing come in 2 and 4MP varieties.  You should do some research over at ipcamtalk.com.

Thanks to all for the replies. Ok, so this may sound like a stupid question, but say I had 8 Dahua cameras all running POE from a Dahua N54B3P Series NVR. Would the cameras all connect directly into the NVR and then the NVR connects to the network switch? I'm just trying to get an understanding. In my last setup, I had cameras but didn't have them recording so the POE cameras just plugged directly into the network switch. Lastly, if my assumption is correct, does the NVR connect to the network switch via just one Cat6 cable?

26 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You can do it either way

So I can connect all cameras directly to the switch and then have the NVR connected to the switch and it can record the cameras? There has to be a smoother way to do it. is there one way that works better than the other?

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That works as long as the switch is poe

Lets me ask you this. If you were installing a new system with NVR and cameras, which method would you prefer?:

1. NVR with POE that cameras connect directly to, NVR then connected to switch

2. NVR without POE, cameras connect to POE switch, NVR connects to POE switch

Personally I’m not a one size fits all person. I’d get an agnostic NVR like blue iris, synology or security spy.   Then get the required specific IP cameras for the job.  Make sure your switch is PoE if you want a cleaner install or get injectors (they make a rack mounted Midspan injector if you have enough cameras)

Lets me ask you this. If you were installing a new system with NVR and cameras, which method would you prefer?:

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:
2 hours ago, rf9000 said:

I have done some quick counting, do you still recommend this when now I’m  going to need about 70+ POE connections?

20 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

I have done some quick counting, do you still recommend this when now I’m  going to need about 70+ POE connections?

70+ PoE connections? Sounds awesome! I’m curious what you’re doing that is occupying all those. Likely cheaper to get big switches and mid-span PoE injectors but you’ll have to do that math. 

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I mean you can do whatever you want...but in my house I don't use NVR switch ports

Are there any dummy POE switches? I mean ones that just provide power? I’m installing about 14 Echo Dots in hidden dummy speakers in ceiling. Was running two Cat6a cables to each, one for conversion to 3.5mm and one for conversion to power them. The ones used for power really don’t need to be part of the network so just wondering if there is a POE device made that can just power them?

2 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

70+ PoE connections? Sounds awesome! I’m curious what you’re doing that is occupying all those. Likely cheaper to get big switches and mid-span PoE injectors but you’ll have to do that math. 

Echos, cameras, touch screens, blinds, access points

Echos, cameras, touch screens, blinds, access points

Nice! All my touchscreens are tabletops so I’m not tied down in location and I went with battery powered blinds.

My only PoE devices are WAP’s IP cams. You may very well need 4 or 5 24 port PoE switches to handle all that. It’s likely to be both noisy and hot, so make sure you or your integrator plans accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Nice! All my touchscreens are tabletops so I’m not tied down in location and I went with battery powered blinds.

My only PoE devices are WAP’s IP cams. You may very well need 4 or 5 24 port PoE switches to handle all that. It’s likely to be both noisy and hot, so make sure you or your integrator plans accordingly.

I might need that many. In a situation like this, what switches would you recommend? And this may be a dumb question, but can POE+ switches be only used with POE+ devices? Or can any POE devices be used with POE+ switch?

I might need that many. In a situation like this, what switches would you recommend? And this may be a dumb question, but can POE+ switches be only used with POE+ devices? Or can any POE devices be used with POE+ switch?

PoE+ can handle PoE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.