C4 Forums | Control4

Solution to mirror phone to vertical TV?

Ok, I've been tasked with this for a while and thought the Samsung Sero was going to save me from having to cobble something together. It's looking like the Sero wont be something you can wall mount so I'm off looking for another solution.

This is for the wife in the kitchen. I need a portrait mode TV or a TV that is mounted vertically. I then need to mirror her Samsung S10 and S20 to the TV so she can show whatever in portrait mode. I'm guessing that is mostly the browser, texts, pictures and not really casting things like Netflix. I'd also like to be able to tile up to 3 sources on the TV to make it useful for other than mirroring, but portrait phone mirroring is key. Honestly, this seemed like such and obvious thing people might want to do that I was surprised that there weren't a handful of simple solutions.

For a hardware solution I've found this through google-fu

http://www.link-mi.com/products/Video Wall Controller/916144457843.html

So you take a casting dongle like a chrome cast and it looks like this scaler/processor helps you rotate and crop.

I'm hopeful I might be able to do the same with something like VideoStorm, but I might need someone experienced in VS to tell me if I can do it using a Shield or if I need a VRX. I actually thought this was the way to solve this need a couple of years ago before I put the task on the backlog.

At the moment I'd like to use a Samsung The Frame 65" mounted vertically for the display to achieve the look the wife would prefer. Its going to look like a picture frame flush to the wall. I'd prefer not to use some of the sign displays meant for vertical mounting. The Frame ticks the aesthetics box required for the location.

Anyone have a solution for the main objective? Mirror an android phone in portrait mode to a TV in portrait mode at the best resolution possible?

VS should be able to handle this if you have the sources available. I would use chrome-cast shield or similar device for casting and make sure you have good wifi. However no way to orient the samsung frame photos so that aspect of the tv will likely be useless. 

Also talk with future automation Im sure they could get you a mount that will rotate the tv if you have the horizontal space.

11 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

VS should be able to handle this if you have the sources available. I would use chrome-cast shield or similar device for casting and make sure you have good wifi. However no way to orient the samsung frame photos so that aspect of the tv will likely be useless. 

Also talk with future automation Im sure they could get you a mount that will rotate the tv if you have the horizontal space.

Yea, I figured I'd have to give up on the Frame picture service unless I used only custom images meant for the rotated view. Not the end of the world.

The wall location is one that would support a vertical portrait mode for a larger TV. Visually, its good for the 65 vertical. To get a horizontal tv to fit there in order to support physical rotation the tv would have to be a 43. That size would be a little underwhelming for the use case. Believe me I ran through that scenario so its a good thought.

So can the Nvidia Shield running VS do the 90 rotation in the software? I'm assuming I can't make the Shield display in portrait mode. I don't think it can do that. I'm assuming I have to make VS rotate everything 90. I'm hoping I'm just blind to a simple solution.

Just now, Matt Lowe said:

I would probably use a VRX040 at the tv and what ever the sources are the vrx will handle the rotation for you. the shield tv cannot do this natively. from what i know at least.

Thanks. Helpful to know the Shield probably can't do it. I assumed as much, but was hopeful.

I found maybe another hardware solution:

http://www.ckoair.com/English/Product/9436204221.html

Cheaper at least...

Have you thought of a Monitor instead of a TV? Lots of screens used in shops are portrait, then perhaps link to a digital signage system? Only putting an idea out there.
Andy.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Have you thought of a Monitor instead of a TV? Lots of screens used in shops are portrait, then perhaps link to a digital signage system? Only putting an idea out there.
Andy.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Yes, Absolutely. I went through the pros and cons for a monitor. One of the reason I mentioned above that I'd rather not use a display made for signage. The intended location is a kitchen in a home. The wife would prefer something with a more refined appearance and I agree. That eliminates most all displays, but especially signage displays. The other consideration is that the location in on an isle or narrow spot at the end of the island so whatever needs to hug the wall. Due to the structure if that wall I also cannot recess the display. Plumbing in the wall. Those Frame TV's have a pretty small projection and they don't leave a gap at the wall where you could potentially catch some clothing etc when walking by.

Have you thought about purchasing sheet panels that match your kitchen cabinets to frame a commercial monitor??  I've done that before and it turned out well.  The "wall" was only 5" off the exterior wall, had extra pull-out vertical drawers for papers/mail/etc.  Looked good if you ask me.  Installed on an inwall mount so you could push the TV in about 2" to access the clips that released the frame around the TV.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Have you thought about purchasing sheet panels that match your kitchen cabinets to frame a commercial monitor??  I've done that before and it turned out well.  The "wall" was only 5" off the exterior wall, had extra pull-out vertical drawers for papers/mail/etc.  Looked good if you ask me.  Installed on an inwall mount so you could push the TV in about 2" to access the clips that released the frame around the TV.

It would be nice if there was this kind of option. Realistically, due to the location and generally the layout of the kitchen and walls the TV needs to float on the wall. It's an open concept kitchen with 12' ceilings. Any cabinetry on this wall would look out of place.

I feel like I can get so a solution with one of these Frame tv's. There has to be a simple solution out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.