C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Right, I understand that - but I still don't understand what you were saying in your last post

Sorry, I don't understand what you are having an issue with. Can you say what you are confused about?

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

Nevermind, it's okay

Ok.

Its likely that when you pulled the camera and cable out you pulled and disconnected anything that was potentially connected to that barrel connector on the cable.

If you put new ends on the cable you may possibly be ok, but there is still a chance that this old cable has an issue somewhere along the distance so you might want to be mentally prepared for needing to run a new cable.

I don't really think there was anything plugged into that barrel end - like you mentioned, I think the installer took the wires from that and plugged it into the camera via that green plug

So, to tie things up, I either need to re-terminate one or both ends of the CAT5 and/or check on the status of that green plug

Either way, it's something that will have to wait for my installer to come out and take a look at I'm afraid

Thanks again to everybody for the help

I'm going to go ahead and mount that camera back up on the exterior wall just so it can prevent that CAT5 from being exposed to the elements

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Ok.

Its likely that when you pulled the camera and cable out you pulled and disconnected anything that was potentially connected to that barrel connector on the cable.

If you put new ends on the cable you may possibly be ok, but there is still a chance that this old cable has an issue somewhere along the distance so you might want to be mentally prepared for needing to run a new cable.

part thats missing for me is why the POE switch port for this camera was turned off?   Unless the OP did it, then I dont see how it use to be powered by the switch and then strangely went off (basically the only port on the switch being off from his pic).   Unless the OP turned off the port intentionally, then the camera could not have been powered previously with the 12v power panel also unplugged.   Strange.

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Forget the green connector and the other dangly round thing. Those are both ends of the same wires.

If you want to use the camera in the interim,  i bet you can keep the POE on the port off, then find the 12v 2 wire cable plugged into the power panel you found and plug the panel back in.   If the green plug is unplugged in the back of the other cameras (but in the camera not working), then you should be able to power up the panel and it work again but personally i would disconnnect the non relevant 12v cable from the power panel and leave only the one for the camera in question.  

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I hadn't messed with the POE control panel so it must have been left off by my installer for a reason

But the camera worked before so there would no way that could happen with also the power panel unplugged.

On 6/17/2020 at 11:45 AM, pinkoos said:

The particular camera feed has been dead for several months

So did it every function? The above suggests that if functioned and then did not function.

4 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I hadn't messed with the POE control panel so it must have been left off by my installer for a reason

See above. If its always been dead that would have been an important things to point out in this thread.

14 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Maybe the siamese cables are just tied into the house's main electrical lines in the attic? I don't know

thats not possible.   Its 12v so it needs to be linked to a 12v transformer.   As mentioned previously,  could be a wall wart or a panel.   Since you found the panel and it was already unplugged,  then it must not have been on unless someone turned it off a couple of months ago

6 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Maybe the siamese cables are just tied into the house's main electrical lines in the attic? I don't know

Since that is disconnected and hanging there it is not connected anywhere. If you need to be totally sure so you understand you can check it with a mutimeter. Maybe you don't understand that this is the power connector to the green plug just a few feet down the cable.

image.png.a8475f33c852457136ea142ea2eb4c25.png

I thought the wires in the green plug are spliced off that barrel connector

Barrel connector was probably used for the analog cams to provide power

But, with the IP cams, if POE was not working, the only option was to get the wires off the barrel connector and connect them to the camera via the green plug

Is that right?

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

This thread is like a murder mystery.

Lol, indeed,  and you learn a new clue every 20 posts ! :)   I think we should all just pitch in a donate the $150 needed for a new cable drop :)

I would have liked it better if you said that this was like a ‘good’ murder mystery 

Seriously thanks to everybody for all the help

i think it’s time to lay this one to rest 

I’ll post an update if my dealer ever makes it out to look into the issue

Until then.....

6 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I would have liked it better if you said that this was like a ‘good’ murder mystery 

Seriously thanks to everybody for all the help

i think it’s time to lay this one to rest 

I’ll post an update if my dealer ever makes it out to look into the issue

Until then.....

Good luck!  seriously i would just spend $150 to get a new cable run cat6 and you can google and find someone to do it.   Dont even need your dealer.

POE will not work at the camera location, IF your tester shows that you are missing pins 3 and 4.  Internet and POE requires all 4 pairs of wire.  If anything is missing/shorted it won't work.

Your laptop received internet at the camera location probably because it negotiated at 10 or 100 mb.  Most NIC cards nowadays auto-detect available speeds.

Just dealt with a customer with same situation.  Customer installed cable to new area and hooked up gigabit switch.  Does not get a gigabit uplink.  Told him to re-terminate his wire because gigabit requires all 4 pairs for full speed.  Problem solved.

I ran a speedtest when I had the laptop connected outside and I was getting about 90

Our Comcast package is rated at 175 I believe - I consistently get anywhere between 150 and 200 inside the house over ethernet and wifi

3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I ran a speedtest when I had the laptop connected outside and I was getting about 90

Our Comcast package is rated at 175 I believe - I consistently get anywhere between 150 and 200 inside the house over ethernet and wifi

You are all over the place with this topic. Just understand that the tester isn't lying to you and you have a problem. We assume you were using the tester correctly and following the directions. Things like plugging it in all the way etc. Speed testing means totally nothing and its a needless distraction from just simply correcting the issue.

If  you doubt your tests just use the tester again and follow the directions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.