C4 Forums | Control4

Pool

uhh what problems are you having with jandy driver? i have multiple clients with the jandy driver and it works 100% of the time and controls their entire pool and spa just fine.

On the GUI:

Lights - works fine

Pump - works fine

Heater - works fine

Aux1 - works fine (I use it for a Polaris Cleaner)

Programming with variables:

Lights: State is not followed therefore you can't program effectively' date=' can only toggle but not discrete on/off

Pump - State not followed therefore you can't program effectively and the on/off is not functional.

Heater -State not followed and the on/off is not functional.

Aux1 - State not followed ......on/off not functional.

Because programming is not possible (due to the variables not working ) you have to use the GUI. So that precludes true automation. Human intervention is necessary. I can't turn on/off the lights with programming, turn on/off the pump, turn on/off the heater, turn on/off the aux1, etc. unless I use the GUI.

Without the variables, no true automation is possible. I already had a Jandy interface so adding the C4 GUI didn't give me much advantage (except that the GUI is available in multiple rooms).

Besides programming, this makes adding the pool to a light scene impossible. Light scenes [u']could be used in 4sight to "trick" C4 into running scripts such as turning on the heater, cleaner, pump, etc. but only if the variables are following the state of those devices. So, the true advantage of home automation is not possible with the Jandy Driver. You can't use 4sight and that means you can't manipulate the pool equipment when you're away from home.

We even tried (for a few hours) to create work around scripts to try and follow the state and SET the variables but this did not pan out.

i have many homes programmed to turn on and off lights, heaters, water falls, landscape lights etc etc from 6 button keypads which are all tied to a jandy panel and they all work fine

there is no 4 sight support which is more than known so you cant really complain about that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin,

Setting up a 6 button to emulate the Jandy Control panel is not automation. It is no better than the Jandy panel. Human intervention is required. It is not automation.

You can program the lights to turn on/off but it is not discrete. You will have to look at the pool to know if the lights are on or off and then decide to hit the button. If the Jandy control panel is used to turn on the lights then C4 programming doesn't know if the lights are on or off. My dealer and I have tried this in a few different ways. The OFF command and the ON command are both toggles. That's because the state of the light is not followed. You can send an OFF command to turn the lights ON if they were not already on and vice versa.

If you turn on the pump using the Jandy panel and then use a C4 button to turn it off (or vice versa), you will have to hit the C4 button twice to turn off the pump. That's because it doesn't follow the state of the pump correctly.

My dealer and I have noted several similar problems with the driver.

I don't doubt that you can set up a 6 button to do these things but you would have to instruct your end users not to use the Jandy panel at all. Secondly, you would have to have them look at the pool to know if the lights are on or off before deciding whether to push a C4 button to change it's state to what they want.

The variables do not work. We tried this in several ways and so real automation is not possible.

When I get some time I will list an exhaustive review of the problems we've encountered. Your approach of using a 6 button is simple but that's not any better than simply using the Jandy control panel. We wanted true automation. Schedules, Light scenes, even controls based on weather forecasts. And of course, the 4sight issue is know (now it is) but my dealer did not know anything about that when he recommended that I use Jandy equipment. I wanted to control the pool from an off-site location but cannot.

More to follow next week as I'll be away until then. Your comments (and assistance) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Our pool is in as of last fall (started late)... and shortly the pool company will come back to finish the plumbing and I think we're looking at a Hayward P4 controller... to which we can hopefully add the Goldline serial interface. To MERCEDES... I would be very happy if you are willing to share your program!

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been able to integrate the Pentair system into their C4 system?

I have the same question. It sounds like there is a driver for it, but I haven't been able to get any details on how it operates. Does anyone have this setup?

• 3 months later...
Anyone ever find something that works well yet?!

I didn't end up getting any info on Pentair integration. I haven't got mine hooked up to Control4 yet, but I will report back when we get it hooked up and try out the integration. If it doesn't work I may have someone write a driver. Are there any other Pentair people out there? Maybe we can split the cost of getting a proper driver written?

Here are some screenshots for the Pentair control. I have not implemented this into my system yet but hope to sometime. I am not sure about the funtionality of the driver yet. Has anyone else tried this yet?

Thanks tekdoc! I was wondering how the programming would work and this definitely sheds some light. I was also curious how the aux circuits would be hooked up and can see that you can set them up easily and name them. Much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to those of you who might be interested. My C4 system is now successfully controlling my Pentair system.

To do it, you need an Intellitouch panel and an "Intellitouch i-Link Protocol Interface Adapter" (RS-232 interface).

My dealer loaded the driver into my system, then I just trigger programming events off Custom Buttons. So on our Kitchen MTS, I have custom buttons for

Waterfall On/Off

Spa On/Off

Pool Lights On/Off

It looks like you can also set the temp and control pump on/off but I haven't done anything with that yet.

What is missing in the driver (and is clearly possible from the interface) is 2-way control. So what I don't know is how I can "pull" the current temp of the pool or spa and have it displayed on the C4 GUI. I take it that would require some custom programming?

Strange_brew are you using the driver that I showed in my prior post or another driver? I still haven't done anything with my system but hope to soon. I would also like to see the pool temp displayed so I can decide if the heater should be turned on.

Strange_brew are you using the driver that I showed in my prior post or another driver? I still haven't done anything with my system but hope to soon. I would also like to see the pool temp displayed so I can decide if the heater should be turned on.

I'm using the same driver as you had in your post.

The driver doesn't have the ability to display temp - at least from what I can tell - but the Pentair interface clearly has that capability (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/i-LinkUG.pdf)

Someone just needs to write a decent driver that uses the query commands to pull back and display temp's.

I'm using the same driver as you had in your post.

The driver doesn't have the ability to display temp - at least from what I can tell - but the Pentair interface clearly has that capability (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/i-LinkUG.pdf)

Someone just needs to write a decent driver that uses the query commands to pull back and display temp's.

I take back my earlier comment. The C4 driver does have the ability to display the pool, spa and outside air temps, but only from ComposerHE. I'm not sure how I can pull this information into an oncscreen display (see attached). Does anyone know how that could be done?

• 4 weeks later...
Inquire with AlanChow.

He is the driver wizard' date=' and may be available for hire.[/quote']

Will do, thanks! Assuming he is interested, any other Pentair owners out there interested in cost-sharing?

Any update on this? i am also interested in this driver.

• 3 months later...

What I've heard from my dealer is that C4 is significantly improving pool integration in an upcoming release. I was going to wait and see what that is like before pursuing the independent driver route. Early Feb in Toronto is not exactly pool weather anyway ;)

• 4 weeks later...
What I've heard from my dealer is that C4 is significantly improving pool integration in an upcoming release. I was going to wait and see what that is like before pursuing the independent driver route. Early Feb in Toronto is not exactly pool weather anyway ;)

It seems March is coming - and it's time to start thinking about pool configuration.

Do u mean release 2.1 of Control4 system? Can u ask your dealer for more information about it ;) ?

^^

I don't understand what you are saying? this thread is about two different two way pool control systems. (pentair and Jandy), In 2006 we had none.

During 2.0 rollout it was made clear that the pool drivers would only work on pre 2.0 navigators, and that the next big release the were going to try to address this.

I have not seen the beta, but we will have to wait to find out if they made it better or just made it the same amount of controls.

Brent

Archived