C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Switch

johnnyboy

Question

I have a new TV with only 2 HDMI ports set up as follows with an EA controller: (i) Port 1 is used for cable box; and (ii) port 2 is used for a Roku. That leaves me with no port for on-screen for the EA1 controller. So I bought an HDMI switch (Kinivo 301 with auto switch) and set it up as follows: (i) HDMI Port 2 of TV stayed Roku (Roku will not activate an auto switch); (ii) HDMI Port 2 on TV is the output from the switch; (iii) HDMI port 1 on switch is cable box and (iv) HDMI port 2 on switch is EA1 controller.

I was hoping the Knivo switch would auto switch between the cable box and EA1 controller. That would give me an effective 3 HDMI ports on a 2 port TV.  This set up passes through the cable box signal  to the TV, but does not appear to pass through the EA1 signal if there even is one. And the manual switch on the Knivo will switch to the EA1 port, but once there will not even manually switch back to the cable box port.

1. Do I need my dealer to program the EA1 to emit an HDMI signal or is that "hot" without programming?

2. Does anyone know if the EA1 HDMI signal will auto switch an HDMI switch?

3. Any suggestions for another work around?

BTW, the new TV is a 32" Samsung Frame which I need for decor and it cannot get bigger because of space limits. Larger frames have 4 HDMI ports.

5 answers to this question

First off yes, you have to have programming creating a video path and set the navigator endpoint for the EA1.  Second you need a driver in the project for that HDMI switch no matter how you are controlling it.  I don't know anything about the Knivo but the best way to do this is get an HDMI switch that works and has a driver.  There are lots of options out there. 

3 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

First off yes, you have to have programming creating a video path and set the navigator endpoint for the EA1.  Second you need a driver in the project for that HDMI switch no matter how you are controlling it.  I don't know anything about the Knivo but the best way to do this is get an HDMI switch that works and has a driver.  There are lots of options out there. 

Thanks, I suspected I needed programming from my dealer. How do I go about finding a switch that has a C4 driver or is that something the dealer will know?

Its been a while, but I had a problem with my purchase of a small form Samsung Frame TV. I found out it only had two HDMI input ports (the larger frame TV's have 4 HDMI input ports). That meant I could only have two the following three: (i) C4 OSD; (ii) Xfinity cable or ()iii) Roku. Of course, I could get by without the C4 OSD but did not like it. So I used one input for cable and the other for Roku.

My dealer fixed this problem. He left my cable box HDMI out connected direct to one of the Tv's two HDMI inputs. He ran the C4 controller HDMI output and the Roku HDMI output to an HDMI switch. The output from ther swicth then wenty to the second HDMI input on the Tv. He set up a driver that selects the correct HDMI output from the switch depending on whether I push the C4 red button or push the Roku button. The switch now automatically selects C4 OSD or Roku depending on which selection I make on the remote.

Greaqt job by Patrick at Entertainment Designs in MPLS!!

Johnnyboy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.