C4 Forums | Control4

Announcements not playing even with relay to amp

azkid

I have always had issues with announcements not playing and was told it was because it was taking too long for my amp to turn on.  I now have added a relay connection from my EA3 to the 8 zone control4 amp and got the bindings set up.  Still I am having problems where the announcements are not playing... 

If I click execute multiple times on my programing it will eventually play and then for the next 10 seconds or so if I play an announcement it will work.  If I set up the programing to play the announcement, delay 2, 4, 6, 10 seconds etc and then play the announcement again it still doesn't work more than half the time.  Only if I hit the execute button multiple times will it sometimes play.  If I listen closely it almost sounds like the speakers are on but they just aren't playing the audio... The audio is also set up to go through a control4 branded matrix.  The physical connections are EA3 -> control4 16 zone audio matrix -> control4 8 zone amp -> ceiling speakers.  The relay is binding from the ea3 directly to the control4 8 zone amp. I have the relay trigger slider on the back of the amp in the right spot. The binding is working to turn on other music sources so I think that is all set up correctly... I am on the latest 3.1.3. There is also a control4 av path setter in my project in case that is maybe the issue? I have multiple amps in my project but for the announcements I've been isolating it to just the zones that the 8 zone amp with the relay connection is set up for. Anyone have any ideas?

Added the announcement to my touch display panel and it fires every time so it is definitely something wrong with the amp triggering... Still can't figure it out though... Outside of the bindings in composer and moving the selector over to "on" trigger on the back of the amp is there something else I could be missing to have the relay trigger the control4 amp?   As mentioned my music still works but maybe it is still just using audio sense not the relay to turn the amp on...

• 4 months later...

I get the Announcement to work every time, but I had to install an 8 second delay in the Announcement to the various configured rooms for it to be heard, otherwise if this delay was shorter you would start to hear a shorter/clipped version of the Doorbell and eventually if you reduced the delay further, then no sound, just the amp clicking ON and eventually timing out.

I wondered whether to use the Motion sense of the Door station camera to at least trigger the Amp to fire up in advance or anticipation of a Call button being pressed.

To achieve this I am not sure whether to use a Fake Relay within the programming so that the trigger for the amp might be manipulated from other means, not just the start of an Announcement.

Director version: 3.2.1.592369-res

What amps are you using?  I have a ring doorbell with the ring driver for C4 and announcements work fine with no delay.  I also get announcements on my Alexa devices and the C4 announcements trigger more quickly. I guess that isn't surprising as I think the ring - Alexa loop goes through the cloud.

I am using the older 4 and 8 zone C4 matrix amps.  Where applicable I have turned off any energy saving features.

Doorbell.wav file is the Audio that is being played, not sure if the type of format or size of sound file is the issue here?

Is there any guide as to what works and what doesn't?

It seems to work, as the sound file is being heard in every Audio Zone that is configured to receive it, but only with this hefty delay being added to the Announcement tself.

So I get the C4-DS2 pinging its Doorbell sound, the T3 Touchscreens Intercom kicking in and ringing, then this big delay and eventually the Ceiling speakers make the Doorbell sound.

So certainly better than no sound, but still not quite what I want.

As a test, I guess I will switch the Amp to ignore the trigger therefore keeping it on and play around with this delay to see what I can get it down to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.