C4 Forums | Control4

CEDIA 2009 - The SOHO Shop's One Stop CEDIA News Thread

thecodeman

No, the media player will not output on HDMI and Component at the same time.

You could certainly use a component -> HDMI converter along with 'y-ing' the component output, but at that point, it may be less expensive to just get another Media Player.

RyanE

Great summary Codeman, better than engadget coverage there. Only thing that is lacking is any real details of the media player. If this thing is really to be launched this fall then detailed specs including the type of files/codecs supported should be available. This big question is does this thing support bluray .iso files? Is C4 outsourcing this or is it being built in house?

Was there any substansive information at the show re: Speakercrafts forthcoming NIRV ? From my prelim read it seems to fit a similar deloyment model as Just Add Power.

The NIRV system is interesting, but it's going to be a while before it's ready for first customer ship. The media encoding/decoding approach is interesting, but it requires a parallel network and the video will only be as good as the encoder. The demos looked clean but it's still a work in progress. I didn't care for the remote at all, it's cool but I could not see anyone but a geek using it as a primary control point.

The idea of the system recognizing the user and personalizing the presentation/content/etc based on the user is very innovate and will probably be adopted by other companies in the future. Having all of your stuff follow you around the network is cool, but I'm not sure how much personalization would be valued by a prospective client.

As a Speakercraft guy, I did voice my opinions on the demo and I'm sure they will be addressed by the team.

I do not see it as a competitor against Control4 today or even when it ships. Depending on the final product, it might serve as a nice product to integrate with a Control4 system in the future.

There was nothing in the demo that make me reconsider my commitment to Control4, even as a committed Speakercraft dealer today.

Was there any substansive information at the show re: Speakercrafts forthcoming NIRV ? From my prelim read it seems to fit a similar deloyment model as Just Add Power.

The NIRV system is interesting' date=' but it's going to be a while before it's ready for first customer ship. The media encoding/decoding approach is interesting, but it requires a parallel network and the video will only be as good as the encoder. The demos looked clean but it's still a work in progress. I didn't care for the remote at all, it's cool but I could not see anyone but a geek using it as a primary control point.

The idea of the system recognizing the user and personalizing the presentation/content/etc based on the user is very innovate and will probably be adopted by other companies in the future. Having all of your stuff follow you around the network is cool, but I'm not sure how much personalization would be valued by a prospective client.

As a Speakercraft guy, I did voice my opinions on the demo and I'm sure they will be addressed by the team.

I do not see it as a competitor against Control4 today or even when it ships. Depending on the final product, it might serve as a nice product to integrate with a Control4 system in the future.

There was nothing in the demo that make me reconsider my commitment to Control4, even as a committed Speakercraft dealer today.[/quote']

Thanks jberger.

I was actually thinking about it in terms of a/v distribution .... more of a competitor to Just Add Power. Likely similar to your point above as a complement to C4. Video distribution is something I've been contemplating recently./Dave

Thanks jberger.

I was actually thinking about it in terms of a/v distribution .... more of a competitor to Just Add Power. Likely similar to your point above as a complement to C4. Video distribution is something I've been contemplating recently./Dave

We didnt spend much time in the booth, becuase it felt like 100+ degrees in there, but here are some articles on it. Most importantly, price is missing and it isn't due out until next year. Also interesting to note that they claim to be using their own IP protocols instead of standard Ethernet... may be a lot of proprietary tech here for what it's worth, good or bad.

http://www.twice.com/article/316451-SpeakerCraft_To_Get_Its_Nirv.php

Thanks jberger.

We didnt spend much time in the booth' date=' becuase it felt like 100+ degrees in there, but here are some articles on it. Most importantly, price is missing and it isn't due out until next year. Also interesting to note that they claim to be using their own IP protocols instead of standard Ethernet... may be a lot of proprietary tech here for what it's worth, good or bad.

http://www.twice.com/article/316451-SpeakerCraft_To_Get_Its_Nirv.php[/quote']

Thanks Codeman. I'll give it a look !

Ryan, thanks for the clarification on the HDMI/Component video question for the media player.

So will we be able to have the programming automatically change the output? For example, I plan on having the media player connected directly to my basement theater via HDMI, and to the video distribution via component video and digital audio (coax, might need optical to coax converter if my earlier post is right and there is no digital coax out). In that situation if I select a movie in the basement will it be able to automatically output via HDMI, then later if I choose to watch a movie upstairs switch to Component?

Ryan, thanks for the clarification on the HDMI/Component video question for the media player.

So will we be able to have the programming automatically change the output? For example, I plan on having the media player connected directly to my basement theater via HDMI, and to the video distribution via component video and digital audio (coax, might need optical to coax converter if my earlier post is right and there is no digital coax out). In that situation if I select a movie in the basement will it be able to automatically output via HDMI, then later if I choose to watch a movie upstairs switch to Component?

I dont think we know yet. I'll try to ask someone in Beta but it's likely part of the NDA until general availability.

I would imagine you would be able to bind different outputs to different devices, but I certainly don't know that. I don't know anything about this other than what I have read on here.

• 2 weeks later...
Added C4 on Blackberry picture.

I want that...

the picture? its easy' date=' right click on the picture after you open it and click save to.... oooohhh you mean the software[/quote']

Actually it was just the picture I was after! THANKS :/:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived