C4 Forums | Control4

WD TV HD Media Player

bhadams

Anyone have any feelings about this? This has been out for a while, but I just came across it over the weekend. Western Digital provides the open source files, and I suppose someone who understands that kind of thing, may be able to extract what is necessary to write an ethernet driver. I don't know, for $99 I figure it sound like a pretty good alternative to what we have available. Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Just a note on the WD TV Live for anyone thinking about it... I bought one and it was DOA.... did some research and apparently this is a common problem, and also can occur very early on even if it does work initially. In addition a firmware fix WD released bricked a bunch of WD Live TVs as well...

I returned mine and am waiting until the reports of this issue start to decrease, right now there is definitely a QA or design issue.

Love to know this as well.

Good friend of mine just hooked his up and we tested against the EVA9150 and it seems this WD handles audio codecs better than the EVA and it seems there are patches to get the WD to stream True Dolby & DTS HD.

Any luck out there yet with getting a network driver written?

In the meantime, why not just create an IR driver?

Can any of you with one of WD Live devices do a port scan against it and tell me what ports are listening? Maybe I can give you some tips on how an ethernet driver can be created. Could be easy if it's a DLNA server.

It appears the WD TV Live supports DLNA as a client for viewing content from a DLNA server. It doesn't appear to act as a DLNA server. As a result, there may be no way to retrieve a listing of content stored on the WD TV.

An IR driver is all you may be able to do.

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I just bought the WD HD TV Live and I managed to create a custom IR driver. It's not too hard. If you need a copy then let me know. As always thanks for the help.

That's awesome!!

What control does the IR driver you created give you?

I have the EVA9150 currently but am getting more and more fed-up with it since I cannot get any audio via m2ts HD Dolby or DTS.

I've seen a couple guys recently that get both HD audio codecs to work with the WD with m2ts files.

My only allegiance right now with EVA is the fact it integrates with my C4 system nicely with coverart, etc.

I'm assuming the WD does not and the IR driver would only control the basics of the remote correct?

Hoping I'm wrong.

This would only be a 1 way IR driver, so no coverart - navigator integration. The IR driver would be a nice start though, and from mbell2034 you can't go wrong. That guy's a freaking C4 legend. Good to see you here sir.

ha ha ha ha ha ha... shame on you buh-adams. You're right priatemonkey, just basic controls. If your files are mp4 video files and you have the metadata stored already then you will get cover art on the WD TV Live, but if not it's a total pain in the butt to get cover art (depending on how many movies you have).

• 2 weeks later...

c4 remote completely controls wd hd tv live. The user interface is the wd hd tv live. Out of the box, the wd device plays .iso files. You have to use "network shares" for the .iso files to show up. Works great for me. I use it to view photos, and home videos. A bonus is that it plays ripped blurays or sd movies. Also nice addition is that it streams Pandora.

All in all quite a value for $119 bucks!

Also plays music files, but i use c4 hc300 for that. I purchased the wd hd live tv over the apple tv because it plays substantially more file formats without having to do any conversions.

Will be happy to provide driver to anyone who wants, but really all I did was learn the codes using the hc300.

as poster above alluded to, its a one way control type driver.

dont know much about apple tv. I looked online at the specs and it didnt look like it supported many file extensions other than itunes type extensions. Thats why I tried the wd device. So far the WD device has played every file type thrown its way. I was particularly looking for .avi support as this is my camcorder's format. It doesnt look like apple tv supports, but the wd definately does.

• 7 months later...
Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I just bought the WD HD TV Live and I managed to create a custom IR driver. It's not too hard. If you need a copy then let me know. As always thanks for the help.

Will you put up a copy of the driver under the "File Library"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived