C4 Forums | Control4

Transfer Control4 Account

Does any one know how to set up a user account without having to go through a dealer? I just purchased a home with Control4 installed that can control lights, door lock, and thermostat from the looks of it (HC-300). I reached out to a few local dealers and they all quoted me $500-$600 to set up an account. This seems extremely excessive considering I'm just requesting a login, and not any diagnostics or repair. 

Coookie, as you can see, there are some incredible members on this forum, especially honest and knowledgeable dealers that will make you do things with your system you never suspected and at very affordable costs. 

By the way, (and I don't want to start another endless discussion about the dealer/install model), there is no doubt that having local dealers asking $600 to set an account for someone not familiar with Control4 is what leads to bad rep, systems pulled... Dealers have to make a living and best ones are priceless! But is it really good for anyone when a new Control4 user (typically house buyer) has that first experience with the system? How many of them decide to ditch their system? 

Shouldn't Control4 reach out directly to all users to share some best practices when selling a house for example including connecting buyer to an installer with a set one-time transfer fee that would include basic training? 

End users typically have a learning curve on the system and c4forums is an incredible resource. Maybe we can go one step further and create a sticky for new Control4 user who have inherited a new system. A step by step approach to taking ownership of their system and maybe some programmers on the site offering an "orientation package". I am sure it would lead to some long term productive and economically viable relationships... 

By the way, as my signature indicates, I am not a dealer but end user.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:49 PM, istreich said:

Count me in, that’s exactly me. Found this forum today, closing on a house w Control4 next week. Have done my own automation using consumer products in the past. Already have a wishlist of things to do and integrations to add.

Welcome to the Control4 journey! You will enjoy the flexibility of the system and make your own opinion about the interface 😉 

I am sure a number of the forum members (who are installers/dealers) have already reached out to you (via DM) to offer their help. Also check the "Looking for an Integrator" section. Some names will pop up with stellar reviews from end users. Don't be shy about creating a post where you explain your situation and what you are looking for. It will help installers get an idea of what you are looking for and timeframe, leading hopefully to compelling pricing for you. Most of them become long term partners to the end users, getting involved once or twice a year to go through list of upgrades and changes as you have a better idea of what the system can do. No need to have everything nailed on day one - this is one of the benefits of the virtual model. 

I think it would be fantastic if you can share with the forum members your "journey" on this process over the coming weeks/months. I am sure a lot of new members will find it helpful. Share what worked well (and not as well), your cost to take over the system and making it yours, upgrading it over time... And maybe  kudos to the best installers you have worked with.

By the way the forum is a fantastic source of information about anything directly (or even loosely) connected to Control4. It will make your discussions with your installer more productive, saving time and cost for everyone. Also learn to use Home Edition too as it will give you more control that you think. It takes a little bit of time to do but it is quite intuitive. And you can even find online video training courses. 

Don't be shy asking for help, either posting in the forum or reaching out directly via DM. Most people will be delighted to help and compare notes with you. I have done this with a number of people (both ways) and did learn as much (if not more) as I shared.

Have fun with your new system... and home!

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.