C4 Forums | Control4

Doorbird Doorstation on different network

fvierra27

Question

So I have kind of a weird problem/question and just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for a workaround. I am dealing with a private road that has three houses blocked by a gate. The gate has a Doorbird doorstation that is managed by a different owner. I integrated the gate with a Z2IO for open/close/status. They want to be able to *at least* receive a call when their address number is pressed but would love for it to use the actual Doorbird driver. Any good ideas to get around it being on the neighbors network? If not is it possible then is it possible for Control4 to receive a call from the doorstation?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Hmm, @Cinegration may be able to answer that one best - not sure if the Doorbird driver doesn't already use the cloud? That would potentially bypass the network at least for notification of a press.

Doing true intercom may be tough though.

Alternatively, if you can get access/have the 'owner' do this for you, you could see if the doorbird unit can't be set to close one of it's relays on a specific caller ID press, you could then put a sensor on the relay, and 'see' the call that way.

sounds to me this is a networking question. For example, your home is on a 10.x network, and the doorbird is on another home that might be a 192.x network. (or worse both 10x networks that are not the same).

The most logical way to do this is create a DMZ that you both can share. For instance your home is 10.1, neighbor is 10.2, but shared resources are 10.3.  Now you can create routes between the networks (probably another discussion) and only allow 10.3 to be shared/routable.

There are other ways to tackle, but basically everything needs to be routable between you and the rainbird

7 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

sounds to me this is a networking question. For example, your home is on a 10.x network, and the doorbird is on another home that might be a 192.x network. (or worse both 10x networks that are not the same).

The most logical way to do this is create a DMZ that you both can share. For instance your home is 10.1, neighbor is 10.2, but shared resources are 10.3.  Now you can create routes between the networks (probably another discussion) and only allow 10.3 to be shared/routable.

There are other ways to tackle, but basically everything needs to be routable between you and the rainbird

Except that I'm not sure these are connected networks - sounds like it's just three houses with each there own network and internet connection, so there IS no (direct) connection between them.

31 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Except that I'm not sure these are connected networks - sounds like it's just three houses with each there own network and internet connection, so there IS no (direct) connection between them.

Correct. Three separate houses, three separate families. No interconnections between the houses.

1 hour ago, fvierra27 said:

Correct. Three separate houses, three separate families. No interconnections between the houses.

I thought separate networks was obvious from your original post. And basically what I stated, you need to get together and create a DMZ/shared network that is routable to all 3 houses.

The rainbird and any other shared devices would live in the DMZ. Each home has a routable path the the DMZ.

The DoorBird driver is local LAN only.  We could develop a cloud based version but the demand isn't quite there. 

For now, the best thing would be to use the DoorBird app and setup each home as a separate doorbell.  Then you would assign a separate user for each home and have each homeowner use the DoorBird app.  We've done this for apartment complexes where multiple homes/users need to connect to a single doorbird.  But in this fashion, no Control4 integration is possible.

Thanks!
~Cindev Team

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.