C4 Forums | Control4

VideoStorm as a solution - any current users that can help?

I consider myself fairly adept at IT/Computers but this is one thing that has been bugging me for a while. I cannot seem to find enough information of a how a setup would work with VideoStorm Netplay. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Currently as I understand it, there is a software that you can use? Or do you use the Netplay manager? This will give you a scalable solution that will work? So you would only need third party encoders and decoders? 

The questions I have are:

- Is there any downside to this vs the Control4 Leaf encoder, other than that it will be more time consuming to set up the VideoStorm solution. My current need would be 4 in 4 out. But would/could be scaled to 4in 8out. 

- I dont see enough information around, it says that it can work on Sony Android TV. But is there any link to this? How this would be set up?

Netplay is software downloaded to your decoding device, ie: most android TV’s, media players, etc.  You’d identify that decoder to the Videostorn system.  Does require a license in order to be activated.

the Virtual Matrix Manager is what runs the show as far as changing inputs and outputs and setup of the system.  This is required.

Encoders can be 3rd party or get VS one (which is 1080p only)

what is above pretty much nails it on the head.

You need a Netplay Manager to run it - think of it as a local hub: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=nvmm - the Netplay Manager runs software called Virtual Matrix Manager that is accessible via a computer browser when you go to the local IP address of the device once its plugged into your network.  that is where you add all the licenses, name the products and set up and configure the system.

For any source you want to share (streaming boxes, cable boxes, Blu Ray players, etc) you need one of these: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=netplayready

Then at each TV you need a decoder - I am personally using a mix of Sony TV's with Android OS (so its just an ethernet cable into the TV for IP control of the TV and getting audio/video from the netplay system) as well as Shields with IRUSBs at older TVs without IP Control: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=netplayhomedecoder

With the Sony TV - you just download the Netplay TV app from the Android store on the TV, buy the proper licenses, and Video Storm's website has instructions on how to identify the TV into the project.  Would be the same process using the Shield TV - buy a license, then ID it to your virtual matrix manager which sits in your Netplay Manager device.

Thank you for this. That explains it a lot better.

How does it work on the Sony Android TVs? Does it work seamlessly when you want to switch sources? Does it take a long time? As the bitrate is around 20mbps, it should in theory work wirelessly too? Have you tried that?

Also it should be possible to buy a 4k multiple input decoder? I think about 500usd for a single hdmi encoder seems a bit steep and would rather get a 4 input or 8input if I would be doing it.

Is there any lag/performance issues by going 4x single encoders vs one 4x multi encoder?

All this works seamless in control4? Sorry I am just trying to see up the pros/cons of going for a solution like this.

In todays technical climate I do not see as big of a need for this as most tv channels and providers have apps to show the content.  

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

what is above pretty much nails it on the head.

You need a Netplay Manager to run it - think of it as a local hub: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=nvmm - the Netplay Manager runs software called Virtual Matrix Manager that is accessible via a computer browser when you go to the local IP address of the device once its plugged into your network.  that is where you add all the licenses, name the products and set up and configure the system.

For any source you want to share (streaming boxes, cable boxes, Blu Ray players, etc) you need one of these: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=netplayready

Then at each TV you need a decoder - I am personally using a mix of Sony TV's with Android OS (so its just an ethernet cable into the TV for IP control of the TV and getting audio/video from the netplay system) as well as Shields with IRUSBs at older TVs without IP Control: https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=netplayhomedecoder

With the Sony TV - you just download the Netplay TV app from the Android store on the TV, buy the proper licenses, and Video Storm's website has instructions on how to identify the TV into the project.  Would be the same process using the Shield TV - buy a license, then ID it to your virtual matrix manager which sits in your Netplay Manager device.

My understanding is that one of the advantages of this system is that you don't need a dedicated ethernet drop to each room where you want to have video.  That is usually required with distributed video.

You mention wireless - it might work but I don't think it is generally recommended for video.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you may be able to use local apps on the Android TV device for streaming for stuff like Netflix, Youtube, etc.  That may reduce the number of encoders that you need.

25 minutes ago, lebron2k21 said:

Thank you for this. That explains it a lot better.

How does it work on the Sony Android TVs? Does it work seamlessly when you want to switch sources? Does it take a long time? As the bitrate is around 20mbps, it should in theory work wirelessly too? Have you tried that?

Also it should be possible to buy a 4k multiple input decoder? I think about 500usd for a single hdmi encoder seems a bit steep and would rather get a 4 input or 8input if I would be doing it.

Is there any lag/performance issues by going 4x single encoders vs one 4x multi encoder?

All this works seamless in control4? Sorry I am just trying to see up the pros/cons of going for a solution like this.

In todays technical climate I do not see as big of a need for this as most tv channels and providers have apps to show the content.  

It works fine on a Sony Android TV.  You press "Watch > {Name of Source}" and within 2-3 seconds you start seeing that source appear on the TV.  It is not recommended to do it wirelessly.  When I first set up the TV though I had it hard wired, the TV was connected via Wifi and the video was choppy.  I realized wifi was on, turned off the radio, no issues since.  So I would not commend it off Wifi.

The link has all the encoders available.  Its not a cheap technology, it is what it is.  I am an end user, I do not set the price tag on these things 🙂  You may be able to find other encoders cheaper but they have not been tested by Video Storm to ensure they'll work in Netplay.

Cant answer your question on lag because I do not understand what is a single encoder vs a multi encoder - I have all single encoders - some are in 1 rack unit that has 4 encoders built into it.  In my link above look at the VTX100 (I have 2 of those) and the Shineco 4k 1 Channel.  Those are the items I have currently and I've considered getting the new YNS-5000KE but have not pulled the trigger just yet.

Yes it all works seamless in control4.  You can do fun stuff like PiP, Text on Screen, Cameras popping up to show live video feed, and I haven't messed with it much but lots of features with Splash Tiles, etc.

Video distribution is great when you have a lot of TVs in the house and dont want to "manage" 2 streaming devices per tv at say 10 locations.  By manage I mean change your netflix password - now go change it on 10 boxes if you have 10 tvs. Or you found a new app you like - go install it on 10 boxes.  Or in my case, my wife doesn't like apps and still insists on cable TV.  we have 6 Tvs and just 2 people.  Renting 6 boxes is costly, having them be an ugly eye sore in rooms is also a drawback.  With Video Storm Netplay/Control4, whenever I need a new TV I just buy a Sony Tv, run 1 ethernet wire to the location (ok I run more for back up) and boom I am done.  No HDMI cables, no streaming boxes, no cable boxes to hide, no IR buds, nothing.  Also another plus - a source is in sync around the house.  Having people over for the Super Bowl?  UFC Fight?  Oscars?  Now you can have 2-3 tvs in sync around the house.  This also helps with syncing TV audio to audio only rooms (though a matrix isnt needed) and with video storm when I have something on the TV in the living room I can play the audio in the kitchen and dining room that do not have TVs, but the audio is in sync with the video due to the VS Matrix and its audio delay features.

Wireless:  Not recommended unless you have no other option.  If you do use it, go with HTTP streaming instead of RTSP and have a good WAP.  Moca (ethernet over coax) is a great wired alternative since most home have a single coax already routed to most rooms.

All the encoders are effectively independent.  It doesn't matter if you use 1X encoders or 8X.  It is just a form factor difference.  You can also mix-match 1080p encoders with 4K to minimize cost.

Thank you for all the answers. Some follow up questions:

- does this need to be installed by a C4 dealer or is this something I can do as an end user myself?

- What device should I use for 1080p and 4k sources? Just the single input encoders?

- If you know of any good MOCA adapters, please let me know if you have some that you recommend. Although I think using the coax that is already there and pull Cat6a would be a better choice?

- Would there be any lag in running 1 input to say 3 different screens at the same time? Or will they be in sync fully?

- I see there is an audio delay license, is this a must have?

1 hour ago, lebron2k21 said:

Thank you for all the answers. Some follow up questions:

- does this need to be installed by a C4 dealer or is this something I can do as an end user myself?

- What device should I use for 1080p and 4k sources? Just the single input encoders?

- If you know of any good MOCA adapters, please let me know if you have some that you recommend. Although I think using the coax that is already there and pull Cat6a would be a better choice?

- Would there be any lag in running 1 input to say 3 different screens at the same time? Or will they be in sync fully?

- I see there is an audio delay license, is this a must have?

Our system is fully DIY if desired (moderate complexity).  However, you will need a dealer to install the C4 driver.  If you select a dealer familiar with this system it will save time & money.  Some of the dealers on this site can remotely install this for you and overall are an excellent resource for helping you with your C4 system.

For 1080p, use the Shineco Netplay ready 1X or larger.  For 4K, use the YNS-5000KE device.   Single or multi just depends on how many sources you have and where they are physically located.  No disadvantages to using the single input models.

I recommend the ActionTec moca adapters (Amazon).  I have used these in my own home (which only has coax) for many years and they always work.  Cat cable works well if pulling cable is easy to accomplish.  Otherwise go with Moca.

Netplay sources (HDMI into one of the encoders) will be fully synchronized at all your displays.  There is a latency from the source -> display, but that latency is exactly the same for all screens (video & audio).

For the audio delay license:

If you are using a centralized audio matrix & amp to drive speakers (that will be also be used for audio4video), then YES    (audio delay needed to sync discrete audio solution to distribution latency)

Else  NO   (your audio will be driven by TV speakers, attached speaker bar, or AVR in the zone   ==  and is already in sync with the video)

(for the audio delay devices)

3 is the limit.  If you need more than that, you can add another manager (2nd unit is less since you don't need the included license).

Audio can be feed directly from the source OR from the output of your audio matrix before going into the power amp  (basically either delaying the input to a matrix or the output of a matrix).

If the source doesn't have an audio output, you would use a HDMI audio extractor (which you would need for the matrix anyway).  

54 minutes ago, zaphod said:

@videostormWhen watching streaming video over Videostorm do you use the local Android TV app? Or do you need to have it centrally controlled by Videostorm?

NetPlayTV app:  This app is what you use on TV devices to watch video.  It is centrally controlled via our NetPlay Manager (and that by C4).  It runs in the background and automatically takes over whenever centralized commands are received.  It doesn't need any direct user to app interaction (although it does have it if you want to do that).

NetPlay Mobile:  This app is what you use on tablets / phones.  It allows you to watch your NetPlay Video sources via direct (touch screen) user control.  You do still need a NetPlay Manager in the system.

7 hours ago, videostorm said:

(for the audio delay devices)

3 is the limit.  If you need more than that, you can add another manager (2nd unit is less since you don't need the included license).

Audio can be feed directly from the source OR from the output of your audio matrix before going into the power amp  (basically either delaying the input to a matrix or the output of a matrix).

If the source doesn't have an audio output, you would use a HDMI audio extractor (which you would need for the matrix anyway).  

@videostorm how much would the 2nd (and 3rd unit) cost? I can't seem to see an option to buy the hardware without the license? Thanks.

10 hours ago, maskas said:

@videostorm how much would the 2nd (and 3rd unit) cost? I can't seem to see an option to buy the hardware without the license? Thanks.

They would be $250 without the normally included NetPlay Mobile site license.  Each one could add another 3 audio delays.  Contact sales@video-storm.com if you need these.  

On 7/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, videostorm said:

They would be $250 without the normally included NetPlay Mobile site license.  Each one could add another 3 audio delays.  Contact sales@video-storm.com if you need these.  

Ok got it. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, maskas said:

@videostorm the hardware for the audio delay driver seems to be out of stock on Amazon. Would you be able to recommend any other alternative? Thanks.

Here you go   https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-External-Channel-Surround/dp/B00Q4WQ7XW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=6+Channel+External+Sound+Card+USB+2.0+External+5.1+Surround&qid=1638730978&sr=8-1

It is a standard product.  All the ones on Amazon or Ali that look the same are the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.