C4 Forums | Control4

Nvidia Shield Driver Problems

Have an Nvidia Shield Pro that stopped responding to Control4 commands earlier today.  It's using the official driver, and running Shield Experience 8.2.3 (the latest firmware).  Shield Remote Services app is also on the latest/correct version.  It's been working fine

I power cycled the Shield - no change.  Took it off UUID, and added it back just using the static/reserved IP.  The device is hardwired.  Then I deleted the driver, and set everything back up again.  None of these had any effect.  All the way through, the Shield was showing as online in driver properties, and I could see the response to commands in Lua, but no actual control of the box.  It would respond to the Shield remote.

Eventually I gave up, and used an old Videostorm IRUSB that I had laying around.  The box responded straight away.  So I deleted that and re-added the official Shield driver.  No control again, but Lua showing a response with the correct commands.  Swapped back to the IRUSB - all good again.

I have another Shield box in the same project, using the official driver, and that is working just fine.

Any other ideas ?

best i can offer if you have performed the following 

1.    Make sure that the SHIELD TV Remote Service app in the Shield host device is updated to the latest version. You can update the app by using Google Play Store on the Shield host device. The version of SHIELD TV Remote Service should be greater than or equal to 2036968. The version can be checked at the page: Home -> Settings -> Apps -> See all apps -> SHIELD TV Remote Service.
2.    Disable all CEC/IR control settings. We want the Control4 system to control those related settings. Please verify that they are disabled in the following settings pages:
⦁    Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Display & Sound ->Power control.
Disable all settings on this page.
⦁    Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Display & Sound -> Volume control.
Disable all settings on this page.
3.    Disable Sleep mode timeout for better user experience:
Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Screen saver -> Put device to sleep -> Never.

Thanks - checked all of this as per the driver docs.  No dice.  Can’t work out why the Lua shows the correct commands, but the box is not being controlled.  I will restart the EA-5 later, and change the IP address.  I’m out of ideas after that.  Weird.

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Def sounds like IP address conflict. Try a different reserved IP and set up accordingly see what happens. Also sometimes VPN on Shield might do that double check it's off to get to work properly. 

If it was a conflict then the IRUSB would not work as well.

17 minutes ago, alanchow said:

If it was a conflict then the IRUSB would not work as well.

That's my assumption too.  This has me baffled.  I checked the router table and Ping, to see if there was any device that might be causing the problem.  Nothing.  Restarted the router, same problem.

So - I changed the static IP of the Shield as a last resort.  Shield driver has control again.  Created a reservation, and called it good.  I still have no idea what caused the problem, but it's fixed for now.

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

That's my assumption too.  This has me baffled.  I checked the router table and Ping, to see if there was any device that might be causing the problem.  Nothing.  Restarted the router, same problem.

So - I changed the static IP of the Shield as a last resort.  Shield driver has control again.  Created a reservation, and called it good.  I still have no idea what caused the problem, but it's fixed for now.

SDDP hostname mustn't have updated for some reason.  That is my guess.

• 1 month later...

Same problem again today.  A different Nvidia Shield Pro box, suddenly no control, even tho' I can see the commands in Lua.  Have tried box reboot, controller reboot, new static IP, using IP instead of UUID.  Still no control.  The last time this happened, a change of IP address solved it.  This time not so lucky.  

Anyone else seen this ?

• 4 months later...

I just had this same issue happen to me.  Tried removing SDDP, changing IP address, full power cycle of shield and controller (all this many times).  No luck.  Just tonight, removed Static IP address in shield menu, re-identified in Composer, rebooted Shield TV in its menu and now it works again.  One of the strangest things I have ran into.

• 3 weeks later...

after the update, sometimes you need a hard reset, happens to me. unplug the shield and leave it off for 30 seconds and plug it back in. it should sync back up, doing a software reboot doesn't work for some reason. you have to physically unplug it. it will come back after a couple minutes after it boots up.

12 hours ago, QLOGIC said:

after the update, sometimes you need a hard reset, happens to me. unplug the shield and leave it off for 30 seconds and plug it back in. it should sync back up, doing a software reboot doesn't work for some reason. you have to physically unplug it. it will come back after a couple minutes after it boots up.

Took two tries, but this worked! Thanks for the tip. Super odd behavior. For those with potentially the same issue, attached is what I was seeing in the logs:

control4 shield errors.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just had this happen to me after a Shield Software Update...   Thank You for all the suggestions.

For me the power cycle did not work. However changing the static IP address did the trick to re-establish the connection. I guess applying a new IP address forced the SDDP and Shield Remote Service to reinitialize ....??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.