C4 Forums | Control4

Triad One - will it work for me?

Arryve

I am looking for some help to figure out whether or not a triad one would work for my specific scenario.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Currently, my EA-5 and Russound whole home audio systems are in separate locations and I have no way to pull them into the same location to provide a wire from the audio output of the EA-5 to the audio input of my Russound system.  I am able to control my Russound system with Control4 via an Ethernet to RS232 adaptor (Global Chache’). As a stop gap, I am currently using a long range Bluetooth transmitter from the EA-5 to a Bluetooth receiver on the Russound.  It works ok, but sometimes it doesn’t sound great.

So, I am looking for a more permanent solution.  I came across the Triad One and was wondering if this would solve my issue? Could I have the Triad One provide the audio out to the Russound (synced with the EA-5 audio) while still maintaining zone control of the Russound system via Ethernet from the EA-5 as I have today? 

Thank you!

First option would be to move the ea5 to the location of the russound. If that's not possible because you need it where it is for other connections (IR? Serial? Relays?), you could buy a used hc800 on eBay for like $100 and put in in the location of the russound. Hc800 could run wifi if needed but wired network connection is always preferred of course. Hc800 would give you 3 separate streams of control4 audio. 

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

First option would be to move the ea5 to the location of the russound. If that's not possible because you need it where it is for other connections (IR? Serial? Relays?), you could buy a used hc800 on eBay for like $100 and put in in the location of the russound. Hc800 could run wifi if needed but wired network connection is always preferred of course. Hc800 would give you 3 separate streams of control4 audio. 

EA-5 movement isn’t possible because it is where everything else is (theater, CAT6 to cameras, cable for cable modem, etc.  The Russound is connected via Ethernet to RS232, but just barely…. via a powerline Ethernet adaptor..

So, the HC800 would simply get the synced audio from the EA-5 to the Russound?? That might be a really great option!

I would recommend a control4 audio streamer, EA3, HC800, Triad One etc etc etc and connect it to the Russound input.

I recently tried testing a Xsource + Russound through Control4 and found that it wasn't as good as a user experience as connecting a Control4 device directly to the Russound input.

When I tried using the Xsource/Russound through Control4 it took a while for the icons to load, it seemed to freeze after selecting sources on the Russound Streamer.  Connecting the Control4 EA5 to the Russound amp, installing the same online streaming services was much more responsive and gave a better experience for the client.

Russound Streamer + Russound Amp + Russound app is a good solution.. but trying to control the Xsource streamer through Control4 didn't impress me much.  I don't know if it's the same experience with the MBX Pre but thought I'd share my experience.

5 hours ago, Jeff W said:

I would recommend a control4 audio streamer, EA3, HC800, Triad One etc etc etc and connect it to the Russound input.

I recently tried testing a Xsource + Russound through Control4 and found that it wasn't as good as a user experience as connecting a Control4 device directly to the Russound input.

When I tried using the Xsource/Russound through Control4 it took a while for the icons to load, it seemed to freeze after selecting sources on the Russound Streamer.  Connecting the Control4 EA5 to the Russound amp, installing the same online streaming services was much more responsive and gave a better experience for the client.

Russound Streamer + Russound Amp + Russound app is a good solution.. but trying to control the Xsource streamer through Control4 didn't impress me much.  I don't know if it's the same experience with the MBX Pre but thought I'd share my experience.

Interesting as I used to have my ea3 connected directly to my xsource russound and found that the user experience though C4 was fine as you say but the C4 experience for everyone through the russound keypads installed throughout the house was not a great experience.   And xsource didn’t have tidal so I tried solving by adding the MBX-pre which has the full array of streaming sources.  It’s a better user experience than the prior xsource streamer but still a couple more button clicks in C4 versus native.    I didn’t think you could add a HC800 into a project with OS3?  I have an old HC800 lying around I could find a way to put it to use! :)

On 8/12/2021 at 6:29 AM, Arryve said:

EA-5 movement isn’t possible because it is where everything else is (theater, CAT6 to cameras, cable for cable modem, etc.  The Russound is connected via Ethernet to RS232, but just barely…. via a powerline Ethernet adaptor..

So, the HC800 would simply get the synced audio from the EA-5 to the Russound?? That might be a really great option!

And you can use one of the HC800 serial ports for connecting the Russound for control

42 minutes ago, Arryve said:

It’s a CAA66.  The Russound driver doesn’t specifically name this unit as supported, but it works like a charm.

I have a MCA-C5. I use a sonos connect to feed it to all zones. Works great as long as you are ok with browsing music via the app. 

if you want native Control4 audio though I would find a way to move the EA-5 with the russound. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.