C4 Forums | Control4

Ruckus unleashed optimization

ERDrPC

I found the blackwire tips sheet...thanks. Followed everything but the Wi-Fi calling.

I have three r710 as unleashed. One on the second floor; one in the basement and a third outside about 50 meters away from the house. For some reason all my 5ghz connections are doing so at 802.11n and not 802.11ac eventhough I have multiple ac devices. Two Samsung s20 plus as an example.  I'm also not getting a lot of load balancing between 2.4 and 5ghz. 2.4 is also connecting at 802.11n. I have one legacy 802.11b device - Hunter hydrawise. 

I can see in each AP WLAN that 802.a/n/ac are available for 5ghz. 

Under services -> radio control I have automatically adjust AP power to optimize coverage selected; automatically adjust 5ghz channels using channelfly; I don't have automatically adjust 2.4 as it is only set for 1,6,11 and each AP gets one of the channels. Background scanning set to 300 seconds. 

Client load balancing on only for 2.4ghz at 70db adjacent radio threshold.  Not turned on for 5Ghz. 

Band balancing percent of clients on 2.4GHz is 1% and adaptive band balancing turned on. 

Radar avoidance pre-scanning turned on. 

Can anyone think of where/what I'm screwing up? 

@Kevin L - would love your input as you guys seem to be ruckus experts

33 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

If I create a legacy 802.11b network - will it still communicate with main network. The device is tied into C4. Still need it to communicate.

Yeah, it will. It's just an SSID that only runs on the 2.4ghz radio for old crap and crap that has a terrible wifi card. This is seen often with Jandy iAqualink or weird workout machines, etc. All of my gear is running fine off a single SSID on both 2.4/5ghz on the R850. 

If your dealer got the Ruckus kit from BlackWire, they are really helpful in troubleshooting these type of things and have a dedicated network engineer on staff. 

I would not use Load Balancing, the Ruckus reps do not recommend it unfortunately, and if you insist on having 2.4 at full blast everywhere to support 2.4-only IoT devices in every zone you are kind of out of luck as far as co-channel interference within your LAN zone.  I would just set your signal strength to auto on both bands, set 2.4 to Background Scanning, set 5 GHz to ChannelFly, and things will stabilize over time.

If you are not able to use 802.11ac for some reason, a legacy 802.11b device could be over-contending for the medium and causing a ton of retransmissions.  This could also be caused by poor SNRs and environmental interference, forcing all clients to bump down their PHY and MCS index further down the table.  Or even just from your overall network design and congestion, especially if the WAPs are not on the Core switch or you have streaming devices 2-3 switches away from the router.  Regardless, your network-wide overhead from creating another 802.11b only wifi network would exceed any performance hit taken from a single legacy device.  

Under Clients, go to Show Details and let us know, what is the RSSI, SNR, and MCS info (at the very bottom) for some of the clients you would expect to be using 802.11ac?

@Liam from Wales

When you say load balancing...do you mean balancing across APs - which is turned off; or band balancing and trying to force as many 2.4GHz clients onto 5GHz? Set for force to 5Ghz after 1% of 2.4 Ghz occupied

Since I made the BW changes last night - 2 of my 20 clients are now on AC. 

"set your signal strength to auto on both bands, set 2.4 to Background Scanning, set 5 GHz to ChannelFly, and things will stabilize over time." - done already 

I don't want 2.4Ghz at full blast. I'm happy to turn down the Tx - just need some direction

I am the only client with Ruckus that my installer has. It was my insistence; along with the cisco gear and router with SFP+. They haven't done any network fine tuning. GEar bought from official supplier in Canada. 

Network design

1Gig up/down modem - Mikrotik router --- SFP+ port 1 into cisco SG350 switch (Top of rack) --- SFP+ into Cisco SG500 48port POE Switch for Just add power

--- SFP+ port 2 into cisco S500 48 port POE switch for 3 APs, 11 IP cameras, all else that doesn't need 10Gbase-T from SG350

Samsung s20 plus - expect AC

RSSi - 66dBm; SNR 39 dBm; MCS14/20 / 117.0M bps

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.