C4 Forums | Control4

Control4's Media Player - now available for order

thecodeman

www.c4central.com

Will you switch to it from your Netgear 9150? Will this be the product that pushes you into the "digital era"? Will it make you a grilled cheese sandwich? Be on the lookout for cheap NAS units and terabyte sized hard drives, because your holiday season might be a little more jolly.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Screen shots!

Go over to c4 central for a peek, unless what your looking for is some unboxing pics. It's not shipping for at least another week so you'll have to wait for those.

+1 for some impressions from beta testing, if anyone has a line on that.

I for one would like to know if this perhaps over comes the 2gb file size limitation for entering media ! And if by some outside chance this guy runs navigator.

Screen shots!

Go over to c4 central for a peek' date=' unless what your looking for is some unboxing pics. It's not shipping for at least another week so you'll have to wait for those.

I for one would like to know if this perhaps over comes the 2gb file size limitation for entering media ! And if by some outside chance this guy runs navigator.[/quote']

It doesn't run navigator. I know a guy who has a little experience with one, but I don't have any details yet.

What I really want to know is if it will output 1080P over component. Aside from that, will it output Component and HDMI at the same time? If it won't output 1080P over component, will it out 1080P over HDMI and 720P over Component AT THE SAME TIME?

Any answers?

Screen shots!

Go over to c4 central for a peek' date=' unless what your looking for is some unboxing pics. It's not shipping for at least another week so you'll have to wait for those.

I for one would like to know if this perhaps over comes the 2gb file size limitation for entering media ! And if by some outside chance this guy runs navigator.[/quote']

It doesn't run navigator. I know a guy who has a little experience with one, but I don't have any details yet.

What I really want to know is if it will output 1080P over component. Aside from that, will it output Component and HDMI at the same time? If it won't output 1080P over component, will it out 1080P over HDMI and 720P over Component AT THE SAME TIME?

Any answers?

Dan ... should we start a new thread or have Cody (or C4central) compile all the questions, answers and outstandings into one post as a single point of reference ? I personally like what was done with the 1.8 thread.

Any answers?

Dan ... should we start a new thread or have Cody (or C4central) compile all the questions, answers and outstandings into one post as a single point of reference ? I personally like what was done with the 1.8 thread.

He will undoubtedly read this (if he hasn't already) and will probably either edit the original post on this thread to do somethign similar, or link us to something he puts together on the blog. It would make the most sense to keep the discussion here, but he'll do what he says most fit.

I for one would like to know if this perhaps over comes the 2gb file size limitation for entering media !

What exactly was the issue with this? I just setup a new XBMC box for testing (lenovo Q110) and had no issue on 1.8 in it scanning or me adding full .iso files of DVDs (for example, batman begins is 7.17GB). I also have a few HD-DVD rips (for example, 300 is 27.2GB) that I had no issues adding either, though playing them back is a different story.

I have another system on 1.7.3.68, no issues with it either.

All movies are stored on a Terastation. Movies found in Control4 by clicking Scan, then choosing "find files ending in .iso".

My questions:

Will it output digital coax audio and rca audio at the same time? If not, can you use programming to have it switch the audio output based on the location watching it? Same with video?

MKV support? Hi-def camcorder file support (AVCHD?)?

Connect to itunes or anything else on the internet? (although I guess this is coming with 2.0 anyhow)

I for one would like to know if this perhaps over comes the 2gb file size limitation for entering media !

What exactly was the issue with this? I just setup a new XBMC box for testing (lenovo Q110) and had no issue on 1.8 in it scanning or me adding full .iso files of DVDs (for example' date=' batman begins is 7.17GB). I also have a few HD-DVD rips (for example, 300 is 27.2GB) that I had no issues adding either, though playing them back is a different story.

I have another system on 1.7.3.68, no issues with it either.

All movies are stored on a Terastation. Movies found in Control4 by clicking Scan, then choosing "find files ending in .iso".[/quote']

It has been a known issue that without an HC1000 Control4 won't recognize/scan files larger than 2.0 GB. There are posts on this forum from Matt that confirm that problem.

I had heard that this was fixed in 1.8, but I haven't updated yet...my dealer is on vacation and has gotten around to upgrading me yet :D

And how does the average customer get their existing DVDs into bob or iso format? Does composer import into my project?

I know what DVD ripping and encoding is all about. Is C4 planning to provide guides to consumers on how to circumvent copy protection? Or, is this going to be the elephant in the room?

It has been a known issue that without an HC1000 Control4 won't recognize/scan files larger than 2.0 GB. There are posts on this forum from Matt that confirm that problem.

I had heard that this was fixed in 1.8, but I haven't updated yet...my dealer is on vacation and has gotten around to upgrading me yet :D

I don't have an HC-1000. I have an HC-300 running 1.8, and a HTC running 1.7.3.68.

I still don't get this product... What is the advantage of it over a HTPC?

Which HTPC? One that you built yourself or configured? The advantage is for $399 you don't have to build one or set it up. Unless you use XBMC, you don't have two-way communication with your HTPC either, meaning your coverart for movies doesn't show up in the Control4 GUI on TVs and touchpanels. Does it do everything a HTPC can? No. Was it designed to? No. It's just an "everyday easy" product that can playback video files for you.

I had heard that this was fixed in 1.8' date=' but I haven't updated yet...my dealer is on vacation and has gotten around to upgrading me yet :D[/quote']

I don't have an HC-1000. I have an HC-300 running 1.8, and a HTC running 1.7.3.68.

Yea. I have an HC300 running 1.7.3.68 and I can't seem to read files off my Readynas that are larger than 2gb. Is this a limitation of the HC300 or Composer running on XP ? I haven't spent an iota of time diagnosing this but if someone knows a work around/solution please do let me know. Otherwise I'll probably spend some time on it this weekend and will report back with findings.

Yea. I have an HC300 running 1.7.3.68 and I can't seem to read files off my Readynas that are larger than 2gb. Is this a limitation of the HC300 or Composer running on XP ? I haven't spent an iota of time diagnosing this but if someone knows a work around/solution please do let me know. Otherwise I'll probably spend some time on it this weekend and will report back with findings.

Not that I can see. I have Composer running on XP pro, XBMC is on Windows Vista home premium. Are you using the Netgear or XBMC?

Not that I can see. I have Composer running on XP pro' date=' XBMC is on Windows Vista home premium. Are you using the Netgear or XBMC?[/quote']

XBMC running on a mini with Snow Leopard. The problem is just entering the big media into composer. If I switch over to XBMC I have no problem seeing or playing big media (read 2+gb) from the same samba/cif's mount. Just to restate, I can't get composer to see 2+gb media iso's, cover art, etc.

/d

I still don't get this product... What is the advantage of it over a HTPC?

Which HTPC? One that you built yourself or configured? The advantage is for $399 you don't have to build one or set it up. Unless you use XBMC' date=' you don't have two-way communication with your HTPC either, meaning your coverart for movies doesn't show up in the Control4 GUI on TVs and touchpanels. Does it do everything a HTPC can? No. Was it designed to? No. It's just an "everyday easy" product that can playback video files for you.[/quote']

Gotcha...

Thanks for the clarification!

That's odd. When I had my 9150' date=' I could scan 8gig files with no problem. I had an hc300 and 1.7.

tum[/quote']

Not sure if you were using the 9150 only or c4 to scan cover art. The later is my problem.

The 9150 see's it just fine, it is Composer that doesn't/won't recognize the larger files.

I am glad someone else with the same problem piped up. I am sure a quick search will expose the thread were Matt confirmed this was a known issue.

That's odd. When I had my 9150' date=' I could scan 8gig files with no problem. I had an hc300 and 1.7.

tum[/quote']

Not sure if you were using the 9150 only or c4 to scan cover art. The later is my problem.

The 9150 see's it just fine, it is Composer that doesn't/won't recognize the larger files.

I am glad someone else with the same problem piped up. I am sure a quick search will expose the thread were Matt confirmed this was a known issue.

I'm speculating this was/is a known issue that was not fixed. Likely something related to Samba/Cifs on the controller and some odd interaction with Composer. Like others have said and I will reconfirm, if I minimize composer I have access to those same "big" files from the laptop running composer. Perhaps now that C4 has their own media player this will get some visability.

Yeah, it is maddening because the files are there, the EVA9150 can see them, your file explorer can see them, but Composer passes over them.

Now, if you want to take your frustration to the next level buy a new Windows 7 64 bit PC! I upgraded to a new PC and the problem is reversed. All the video files I have mounted on my Windows 7 PC (I have two drives in the PC dedicated to file sharing) are recognized by Composer, but the EVA9150 will not recognize them. Apparently there is a bug in either Windows 7 or the EVA9150 that doesn't allow it to recognize/access video files mounted on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. It has been discussed like crazy on the official EVA9150 forums. It will display/recognize photos and music no problem, just not videos.

Well, good thing I got my NAS getting delivered on Friday. Then life can get back to normal.

Yeah, it is maddening because the files are there, the EVA9150 can see them, your file explorer can see them, but Composer passes over them.

Now, if you want to take your frustration to the next level buy a new Windows 7 64 bit PC! I upgraded to a new PC and the problem is reversed. All the video files I have mounted on my Windows 7 PC (I have two drives in the PC dedicated to file sharing) are recognized by Composer, but the EVA9150 will not recognize them. Apparently there is a bug in either Windows 7 or the EVA9150 that doesn't allow it to recognize/access video files mounted on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. It has been discussed like crazy on the official EVA9150 forums. It will display/recognize photos and music no problem, just not videos.

Well, good thing I got my NAS getting delivered on Friday. Then life can get back to normal.

In short, I don't do Windows (except for my dual boot for composer). Unbuntu, embedded Linux and Mac OS (also a flavor of BSD).

Good luck with your NAS - Love mine !

Archived