C4 Forums | Control4

Control4's Media Player - now available for order

thecodeman

Cody

I was on the beta for the media player. It can't output HDMI and component at the same time.

NO!!!!!

Why would they do that?!?!?

I think it is more of a limitation imposed by Hollywood and the content police and not any sort of technical issue.

It also can do 1080p out the HDMI.

Here is my post on 1080p, HDMI, Component and the AACS Adopter agreement. As i stated in my post "that all video over component will only be at 576i. This is due to the AACS. You will no longer be able to send anything higher than 576i over component. You won't be able to send 720i, 720p or 1080i and don't even think about 1080p over component. As of December 31, 2010 this takes effect on all new players manufactured. Fast forward 3 years, to December 31, 2013, and all players manufactured will not be able to have any component outputs on it at all."

Although you can get 1080i and below out on component on the C4 media player at this time, you can not get 1080p which has already been stated. In fact will start to see more and more products that will not send 1080p over component and starting real soon you will only be able to get 576i over component. No 1080i, 720p, 720i, etc.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys

At the moment I really could need some good advice, I have to chooese between the Netgear or the C4 Media Player

For me it ist vitaly important that it does play the following correctly:

Archived DVDs in VIDEO_TS folders and ISO in PAL format!

MKV files with x264 and AC3 - Though this isnt an official feature did someone test it?

XVID and DIVX AVI files

I would be glad if someone could help me out and advice me for or againt the C4/Netgear unit, that would be so :cool:

greetz

Hey guys

At the moment I really could need some good advice, I have to chooese between the Netgear or the C4 Media Player

For me it ist vitaly important that it does play the following correctly:

Archived DVDs in VIDEO_TS folders and ISO in PAL format!

MKV files with x264 and AC3 - Though this isnt an official feature did someone test it?

XVID and DIVX AVI files

I would be glad if someone could help me out and advice me for or againt the C4/Netgear unit, that would be so :cool:

greetz

The Netgear unit will handle all those just fine I'm sure, although I haven't tried ALL those formats.

One thing I can guarantee you is that the user base will always be much larger with the Netgear.

You should ask your question on the official Netgear EVA9150 forums.

I am thinking the same thing, if this doesn't support blu-ray .iso this unit is a fail. Despite integrating well with the c4 system it must support the plethora of codecs and their containers. If this were released 2 years ago it would have been a hot item, however releasing this now it is expected to be competitve in the HD market.

It will not support blu-ray .iso files, nor HD DVD .iso. The menu structuring in DVD .iso files is not supported either - meaning that if you watch movies with subtitles (foreign films or English films that have scenes with dialogue in another language and subtitles), the subtitles need to be embedded in the audio track instead of "turned on" with the disc menu. Also, changing the audio from say 2.0 to 5.1 or to DTS from Dolby Digital isn't able to be done if you do it through the menu on the DVD (ie: Top Gun's DTS 6.1 track is better than the Dolby 5.1 imo).

Also, while .iso file is supported, on the media player, the video is only mpeg2 and AC3 or DTS, not supporting MPEG4 or AVCHD, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-MA.

Now, from what I know speaking to people that have beta tested the unit, it is stable and does a good job of playing the supported media. Now, the interesting thing about it is that new firmware updates can potentially enable new features for it.

Will C4 give detailed instructions/direction on file formats, etc. to use? I have copied files for my ARCOS before, but am ususally blown away with all the options and am pretty sure I am not using the best settings.

The table of supported formats is on our blog, here:

http://c4central.com/2009/11/23/control4s-media-player-now-available-for-order-399-shipping-starts-in-december/

As it stands, Control4 doesn't have intrests in "helping you acquire your media", rather they have a safer stance of "Cool, you have media? We'll play it back if it's X format".

Will C4 give detailed instructions/direction on file formats, etc. to use? I have copied files for my ARCOS before, but am ususally blown away with all the options and am pretty sure I am not using the best settings.

Control4 does not endorse any specific software products for digital video file creation. A simple search of the internet should provide plenty of background information on digital video files and how to get your files to conform to the recommended formats.

Hm the more we find out about this the more I realize how good an XBMC/Plex solution is, an dabsed on Go Go's post all newly manufactured players will be worth jack squat for most current video distribution systems beginning in 2010.

Hm the more we find out about this the more I realize how good an XBMC/Plex solution is, an dabsed on Go Go's post all newly manufactured players will be worth jack squat for most current video distribution systems beginning in 2010.

Why? They have HDMI outs.

The restrictions as I understand it only apply to hardware manufactured after 2010, so as long as you have a video card that can output 1080p manufactured before 2010 youre good to go. Also there are video cards that have component out via the weird s-video look alike connector. Plus there's no way the 'community' as it is will not come up with a way to output 1080p even on 'restricted' PC hardware...

Although there will probably be an entire market segment of companies trying to make it big by selling products (bluray players, etc) which are easy to 'hack' in order to play 1080p...

• 1 month later...

Same... looking forward to someone who has experience with various file formats and XBMC/Plex to give their opinions. I dont expect this thing to match up to them. Im still leaning towards waiting for the new Apple TV to be released (1080p capable) or getting the CrystalHD card for my mac mini.

Cody when you get your hands on one can you post a video on c4central?

Just checking here- can the Media Player hit on a USB-connected drive or is a NAS needed? I see the "upgrade only" note associated with the USB 2.0 port so I probably got my answer. Thanks.

Control4 does not support streaming video from any usb port on any Control4 product. You need a NAS or a computer share.

Archived