C4 Forums | Control4

Control4's Media Player - now available for order

thecodeman

i had my 9150 months ago and got rid of it. but, if I recall correctly, I could scan my 8gig files from within composer so that the coverart would show up with the gui. I recall there was a specific place that I had to select .wmv files to look for or something like that and then it would find it. got rid of the 9150 b/c it just couldn't handle hd material.

tum

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've updated the blog post with some information that I just came across in regards to format playback compatibility. I'm still working to answer everyone's questions about simultaneous hot outputs, etc.

Cody

I was on the beta for the media player. It can't output HDMI and component at the same time.

I've updated the blog post with some information that I just came across in regards to format playback compatibility. I'm still working to answer everyone's questions about simultaneous hot outputs' date=' etc.[/quote']

Cody

I was on the beta for the media player. It can't output HDMI and component at the same time.

NO!!!!!

Why would they do that?!?!?

What I really want to know is if it will output 1080P over component.

Why? If it does 1080i your tv can deinterlace back to 1080p. A lot of display devices don't take 1080p over component anyway. That's not a big deal breaker for me, I'm just curious why you need it.

I've updated the blog post with some information that I just came across in regards to format playback compatibility. I'm still working to answer everyone's questions about simultaneous hot outputs' date=' etc.[/quote']

Cody

I just verified this, thanks. It seems that the media player will play out of all the analog outputs simultaneously (DTS only available by HDMI and S/PDIF, though). When HDMI is hooked up to a TV or receiver the other video outputs are turned off.

Something else that may be worth mentioning, it does not seem that at this time with launch firmware there is not a way to navigate a disc's menu structure. MKV files may also play depending on the containers contents, but that they are "not officially supported".

Also, supported video codecs are MPEG2 for .iso, so no HD .iso support at this time whether Blu-ray or HD DVD.

What I really want to know is if it will output 1080P over component.

Why? If it does 1080i your tv can deinterlace back to 1080p. A lot of display devices don't take 1080p over component anyway. That's not a big deal breaker for me' date=' I'm just curious why you need it.[/quote']

I don't NEED it, but my TV's do accept 1080P over component, and I have component distributed through the house right now, I haven't done HDMI distribution just yet.

Cody

NO!!!!!

Why would they do that?!?!?

I think it is more of a limitation imposed by Hollywood and the content police and not any sort of technical issue.

It also can do 1080p out the HDMI.

Many people like myself utilize dual outputs, ie. one to a projector and the other to a HDTV. It is possible for them to make both HDMI and Component live at the same time even though it is the same feed, all the newer Directv recievers do this.

Many people like myself utilize dual outputs, ie. one to a projector and the other to a HDTV. It is possible for them to make both HDMI and Component live at the same time even though it is the same feed, all the newer Directv recievers do this.

Apparently you didn't read the thread.

^He's in denial

That feature would have been one convince me to sell my Netgear 9150's and pick up a couple of these. I like the Netgear units though. I use the YouTube player from time to time to find a funny commercial or something, so that feature is kind of nice.

I just verified this, thanks. It seems that the media player will play out of all the analog outputs simultaneously (DTS only available by HDMI and S/PDIF, though). When HDMI is hooked up to a TV or receiver the other video outputs are turned off.

Ok so you can output to component video and S/PDIF, but if you do will it output to RCA audio at the same time, or since SPDIF is digital does that mean the analog audio outputs will be disabled?

I also have a need for HDMI and component output at the same time... Basically so that I can output from the media player into my receiver locally (HDMI) and to the video distribution (component video) at the same time. It would give me 1080p capability locally even if the video distribution is limited to 1080i.

Ok so you can output to component video and S/PDIF, but if you do will it output to RCA audio at the same time, or since SPDIF is digital does that mean the analog audio outputs will be disabled?

I think it will output S/PDIF and analog at the same time.

I also have a need for HDMI and component output at the same time... Basically so that I can output from the media player into my receiver locally (HDMI) and to the video distribution (component video) at the same time. It would give me 1080p capability locally even if the video distribution is limited to 1080i.

The C4 media can't output HDMI and component at the same time. In fact if you have it hooked up via HDMI there is no way to make the component outputs active without programming changes. The programming changes require that your dealer make connection changes with the Composer Pro software. There is no way to automate the programming changes to switch from HDMI output to component output or from component output back to HDMI output.

Thanks Alan, the SPDIF/RCA simultaneously is a big deal for me since some of my video distribution is 5.1/7.1 setups and others are RCA.

I realized that it cant do HDMI/Component at the same time but was just throwing in why it would be useful for me since I thought someone asked why above, but turns out they were asking why about the 1080p vs 1080i question.

I just verified this' date=' thanks. It seems that the media player will play out of all the analog outputs simultaneously (DTS only available by HDMI and S/PDIF, though). When HDMI is hooked up to a TV or receiver the other video outputs are turned off.[/quote']

The Media Player will play out of all the analog video outputs and all audio outputs simultaneously (note that DTS will only play out HDMI and S/PDIF). When the HDMI output is connected to a television or receiver the other video outputs are unavailable.

Will this player support blurays if they are mkv instead of iso? Any plans for future upgrades to this? If it does not support bluray it is almost pointless to release a streamer that doesnt support the current format that has been out for a long time.

The Media Player will play out of all the analog video outputs and all audio outputs simultaneously (note that DTS will only play out HDMI and S/PDIF). When the HDMI output is connected to a television or receiver the other video outputs are unavailable.

When just the HDMI output is connected, will the analog and/or the optical audio output work simultaneously? This is a must to get the audio from the source to the distributed audio amplifier.

I am thinking the same thing, if this doesn't support blu-ray .iso this unit is a fail. Despite integrating well with the c4 system it must support the plethora of codecs and their containers. If this were released 2 years ago it would have been a hot item, however releasing this now it is expected to be competitve in the HD market.

Archived