C4 Forums | Control4

Control4's Media Player - now available for order

thecodeman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I picked up a Buffalo LinkStation Quad for a little over $500 4TB should do my fine for starters..

Where did you get that deal?

fry's

Nice. About two months ago I had a friend pickup a NAS for me at Fry's in Downer's Grove. It was a ReadyNAS NV+ that was on clearance...it appears they have great prices. I started peeling the price tags back and this one went from $799 -> $729 -> $699 -> $649 -> $579 -> $499 -> $399 -> $329. Mine is a 4 bay NAS, but only had two 1TB drives in it and two empty slots.

Is the 4TB usable, or total (after redundancy)?

Where did you get that deal?

fry's

Nice. About two months ago I had a friend pickup a NAS for me at Fry's in Downer's Grove. It was a ReadyNAS NV+ that was on clearance...it appears they have great prices. I started peeling the price tags back and this one went from $799 -> $729 -> $699 -> $649 -> $579 -> $499 -> $399 -> $329. Mine is a 4 bay NAS' date=' but only had two 1TB drives in it and two empty slots.

Is the 4TB usable, or total (after redundancy)?[/quote']

That's where I go. only 25 min from the city

From out of the box to watching a movie in 15 minutes. Works great with no problems!

Could u be more specific with video/audio format that u played?

Thx' date='

tum[/quote']

They are ISO files. I've got a WD MyBook World connected to an Apple Airport Extreme.

BTW- My Friend has my NAS at his house "backing up" my movies. Do I need to have it for the install? Or can I simply just add it and it will recognize?

You should have it just to make sure everything works, not saying you do or not (you would need the IP of the NAS at the least) but I would want it there to get that warm fuzzy of watching that first movie load up after it's all set up

Just my $0.02

Can't wait to hear how it works. I am getting mine installed next week. I have a ReadyNas Duo, with about 60 DVD .iso files. I am thinking about switching to Synology :D

Probably not going to get hooked up until Monday :(

Over the break, I've been doing some thinking about how I might use and slot a couple of these new C4 media players into my setup. Sort of raised a few basic questions... That tie in with what the company seems to be doing with their app store and other new developments...

If all the player can do is just play ripped movies, this is kinda boring and it sure would be tedious (or expensive) if you pay someone else) to convert over 200-300 odd DVD's...might as well just get the Sony disc changer...

The way I look at it is, you use and play movie and video files differntly to music ones. You might only play the one DVD ounce. Maybee twice... But multiple times.. And with playlists etc...? I'm not so sure.. Sorting all the differnt files will be crucial. iTunes is great for this, so the player is going to have to play straight off iTunes. Will this be possible? The fact that after several years someone is only now writing an app to share a music iTunes library and playlists doesn't give me great confidence with video file integration..

But what I would find real useful is if the player can stream YouTube, or netflix, or easily play movies and shows straight of the iTunes or another equivalent store. Or easily play a recently recorded show straight off a PVR.

So the key IMHO is going to be in the supported 2.0 software and how it co-ordinates with the media player, and whether video steaming apps become available to do the sort of things Ive mentioned.

Is this where C4 is heading with their media player, or am I just dreaming??

Is this where C4 is heading with their media player' date=' or am I just dreaming??[/quote']

No, what you're doing is called speculating.

:)

RyanE

Ok. Sorry about that...so what's then the direction from forum members on how to set things up ready to use the thing? I tell you how I currently use and view video...

I bet I'm like most of the users on this forum. I watch a bit of TV, record some stuff, but I'm now getting into pay per view through services like iTunes and Amazon, and cable. ( As an alternative to buying the DVD from the shop)

This is what I do on the TV. But more and more of our families 'viewing' is switching to the computer: partic YouTube and other streaming stuff. And putting video onto iPods etc..

I use iTunes. So am I best just recording everything in H264 format, and storing all the video in the iTunes library? I really don't want to spend too much time stuffing around sorting everything etc. And photos. I want to leave photos in iphoto. And music in iTunes. I guess what Im asking is can you point the media player straight at the iTunes and iphoto libraries and be done with it? Use iTunes to manage everything...anything for a simple and quiet life...it's way too complicated and time consuming otherwise...

Up and running! DVD's upscaled look 89% as good as what I am seeing with BD

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs193.snc3/20038_249277563957_559433957_3206791_2631197_n.jpg

So far I am very impressed.

How are your movies ripped?

They are ISO's

And my Onkyo receiver upscales it. Movies access pretty darn quick too.!

Do you guys ever have to wait for this thing to buffer? I have a friend that got one and it seems to buffer a fair amount, sometimes for an extended time (30-45 seconds). I have NEVER had to wait for a movie buffer on my EVA9150's, and I think that is due to the built in hard drive.

Just curious what your experiences with that are.

Thanks.

EDIT: Typo

Archived