C4 Forums | Control4

3.5mm RS232C to DB9 over Cat6

OceanDad

Hi - I've finally had enough of Sony TV's dropping off IP control.  Going to serial control for reliable power on/off.

What are people using to convert the 3.5mm input over Cat6 cable to an EA controller serial output ?  I can hack something together, but if someone already has a reliable kits of parts that they use, that will save me some time.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Hi - I've finally had enough of Sony TV's dropping off IP control.  Going to serial control for reliable power on/off.

What are people using to convert the 3.5mm input over Cat6 cable to an EA controller serial output ?  I can hack something together, but if someone already has a reliable kits of parts that they use, that will save me some time.

Thanks.

A pair of Wago or butt connectors is what I have used.  It's ugly, but it's all I had in a pinch.  

Quick and dirty get a stereo and serial cable cut the ends off and dolphin clip them to the Cat6. Use a volt meter to check continuity to make sure your getting the correct 3.5mm rings connected to the RS232 pins.

Better looking same method but with solder on ends and some heat shrink.

I have done both, but I prefer the cleaner look. When I can I will push it through the HDBaseT if the option is there.

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

Thanks.

Ive also used a DB9 to RJ45 connector's like this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1151&gclid=Cj0KCQiApL2QBhC8ARIsAGMm-KGH3YyWiz7alJboCWaC2s5Db3q-HN33paWnzTLmuJncKZm8jjRo8tUaAr9yEALw_wcB and then use a DB9 female to 3.5mm cable to the TV like this https://www.sfcable.com/6ft-db9-female-to-3-5mm-serial-cable.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiApL2QBhC8ARIsAGMm-KEL1ZOZuA9eg78yWXPZ_L4VRiQUTz8ZyHa8Au1zR_BMzmnDBjRLFHQaAo4YEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, OceanDad said:

What are people using to convert the 3.5mm input over Cat6 cable to an EA controller serial output

Another option, although pricier, but very stable, is to use Global Cache Flex units, which make IR, Serial, and contact/relay controls all IP-controllable and is compatible with C4 with a free drive. I've used them all over my house and they can be PoE-powered. Best bet for cleanest run is to just take the Ethernet cable, plug it into the GC unit, and then get their serial cable to plug into the Sony. This is what I do with my LG TVs since the IP control lags FAAAR too much. 

13 hours ago, OceanDad said:

Is it null modem for serial on the Sony TV ?  I know there's a null modem setting in the EA-5 driver that you can check after making the binding.

With IO ports, null is selectable in Composer.
DB9, you have to wire per the device.

Did a couple of TV's yesterday.  Ended up going 3.5mm stereo (Sony RS232C) to 3.5mm stereo (Serial/IR Port on EA-5).  Worked fine, although I did have to reboot the controller after doing both of them (after disconnecting the IP and making the serial binding) as it seems like the controller is still looking for the IP connection otherwise.

Rock solid now of course.  It's a shame that Sony can't figure this out - these were great over IP until about 6 months ago, since when the disconnects have been getting more and more frequent.  Most of the time the only use of the driver is power on/off anyway - not using the smart TV functions, and volume/audio endpoint is something other than the TV itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.