C4 Forums | Control4

Questions before I visit an Installer

BuckeyeAmps

Hey all,

I have finally decided to look into Control4 for my somewhat simple HT room as I just recently got a Trinnov Altitude and would love to communicate with it over IP via a remote. But before I visit my local boutique store/dealer, I wanted to see if my thought process is correct:

For a simple single room setup where I need both IP control and IR control, all within a Salamander cabinet, The EA-1 would be a good controller to ask about, right? 

And for remote, it is either the 260 or the Neeo? 

From there, it would just be a matter of the installer setting up the remote to control my A/V devices either by IP (like the Trinnov and Kaleidescape) or by IR using the IR outs on the EA-1 connected to blasters? 

46 minutes ago, BuckeyeAmps said:

From there, it would just be a matter of the installer setting up the remote to control my A/V devices either by IP (like the Trinnov and Kaleidescape) or by IR using the IR outs on the EA-1 connected to blasters? 

Just a thought, if memory serves (I got rid of my kscape 5+ years ago) you could also look to play movies by picking them from a visual menu on the remote. But you'd need the touch screens to see the movie icons.

Personally I was always happy just viewing the kscape menu on the screen and picking what we wanted to watch.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeAmps said:

Hey all,

I have finally decided to look into Control4 for my somewhat simple HT room as I just recently got a Trinnov Altitude and would love to communicate with it over IP via a remote. But before I visit my local boutique store/dealer, I wanted to see if my thought process is correct:

For a simple single room setup where I need both IP control and IR control, all within a Salamander cabinet, The EA-1 would be a good controller to ask about, right? 

And for remote, it is either the 260 or the Neeo? 

An EA-1 is not only perfect for 1 room installs like this but can also expand to more very easily. My whole home runs off a single EA-1. The biggest reason to move to a different controller is for the integrated audio (i use Sonos and Russound).

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

An EA-1 is not only perfect for 1 room installs like this but can also expand to more very easily. My whole home runs off a single EA-1. The biggest reason to move to a different controller is for the integrated audio (i use Sonos and Russound).

Thanks! Is my line of thinking how the install would go/how things would be controlled about right, too?

If the dealer gives me a choice, is the Neeo remote worth it over the HR-260? 

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Thanks! Is my line of thinking how the install would go/how things would be controlled about right, too?

29 minutes ago, BuckeyeAmps said:

He should give you a choice.

You're paying for the style, in operation they're similar.
If you're going to do lighting and such, that can be a better experience on a Neeo.
Adjusting volume, channels, playing a movie, pretty equal.

Last question: how customizable/how much of the programming of the remote can I change once Installer setup is done now that Composer HE is available? 

Like if I change out a device for a new brand or model, can I edit everything to incorporate the new device on my own? Or can I only make small changes to buttons/commands of existing devices/activities programmed by the installer initially? 

Last question: how customizable/how much of the programming of the remote can I change once Installer setup is done now that Composer HE is available? 

Like if I change out a device for a new brand or model, can I edit everything to incorporate the new device on my own? Or can I only make small changes to buttons/commands of existing devices/activities programmed by the installer initially? 

you cannot change out hardware or add hardware, dealer has to do that.  with Composer HE you can program scenes, individual buttons, complex actions, etc.

Neeo - does not have backlighting and no keypad so channel surfing isnt ideal but you get a nice screen to do other things in C4.  SR 260 isnt as pretty but its more of a normal remote for watching TV.  

Have a serious talk with your dealer about these expectations.
Control4 is not a platform intended for "reprogramming" by an end user.

HE allows adjusting of lighting scenes, creating macros of events, and doing the nifty stuff that provides a wow.
But it won't let you add components, or move the Apple TV to Input 3 from Input 4, or change the skip button to slow motion.
However, there are dealers here, and your own, who can add a new device, or change an input, remotely.
You're not stuck with your dealer, but you need a dealer occasionaly depending on how often you change components.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.