C4 Forums | Control4

Can the room control driver be activated by a custom button without a physical button??

RandyR

Question

I asked my dealer to install room control drivers in my project for control of room audio.  He is telling me that the programming of those drivers can't be activated by pressing a custom button only - that the programming  needs to be a connection to a press of a physical button on a keypad, which sounds strange to me.  is he correct?

5 answers to this question

That's what I thought.  The technique I have been using is to "program" custom buttons and then if I also want to have a physical button do the same thing to program when physical button is pressed, press custom button, rather than repeat the code used for the custom button.  Is that best practise?

On 4/14/2022 at 11:40 PM, RandyR said:

That's what I thought.  The technique I have been using is to "program" custom buttons and then if I also want to have a physical button do the same thing to program when physical button is pressed, press custom button, rather than repeat the code used for the custom button.  Is that best practise?

Not necessarily best practice but it certainly works and could be best practice for your site (especially if you want to be able to change things without always involving the dealer).  Room Control driver (in particular) has a lot of cool features that can be set up very quickly using connections (I.e. requiring a dealer).

I really wish they would add connections to HE version.  There is a whole section on how to use them in the HE manual but the feature is not available in HE.  Do you know if there is any chance of C4 opening up that feature on HE?

As an aside, my dealer is looking at the RCD.  He is the one that told me it appears to require a physical button connection - not just a navigator custom button.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.