C4 Forums | Control4

macOS: Control4.app generates huge container file while running

Versions: C4 Director 3.3.0, Control4.App 322.25.0, macOS 12.4

Use: Control4.app running on M1 Mac, generally in Camera snapshot view, but occasionally streaming one camera view

Problem: Huge container file generated which ultimately uses all available free space on the computer (this one got up to 92gb) [photo attached]

Solution: Delete the 'systems.realm' file in the affected container file.

Results: App had me sign back in.  'systems.realms' file monitored afterwards and could not reproduce results, remained 16kb in size.

Outcome: Hope this helps anyone who finds all their free space gone with a similar setup and developer possible squash a bug.

PS: I know it is made primarily for iPad.654782338_ScreenShot2022-07-14at6_52_12PM.thumb.jpg.59377500b9460faabbb60c37981b5719.jpg

Mixture of Chowmain Dahua and Hikvision; I think primarily the Dahua driver though

Ok more specifically it's Chowmain: Dahua nonPTZ IP Camera Driver Version 20210913 Date: Monday, 13 September 2021 and Hikvision Version #20211004 - 04-OCT-2021

Ok, so after pointing this out I monitored the file size while in snapshot, looking at a dahua camera and looking at a hikvision camera.  Looks like both increase the file size a bit after stopping viewing a live camera, although I'm only up to 1MB after several minutes, not sure how it could get in the GB range.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, cwilmo said:

It's the Chowmain driver, still exhibiting this behavior despite recent updates.

G'day, I spoke to Justin a while ago, and either forgot to respond, or couldn't find the thread..

We don't believe its a bug with the driver actually (as we apparently don't even open any files with the driver). Upon research, it appears to be a common issue with a lot of developers projects and Realm files which they explicitly need to work around, and it could even be a behaviour on Apple's side (which may require an explicit work around by Control4). 

I've sent this thread to one of our contacts at Control4 for review (as neither myself nor Justin uses a mac for our primary computer).

On 9/29/2022 at 7:28 PM, cwilmo said:

It's the Chowmain driver, still exhibiting this behavior despite recent updates.

@cwilmo That's crazy that it gets so big! Could you try closing the Control4 app, deleting the Control4 folder inside of "~/Library/Containers/" in your screenshot above, relaunching the Control4 app, and sending me the app logs when the systems.realm file gets bigger than 30 MB?

4 hours ago, ChrisHenderson said:

@cwilmo That's crazy that it gets so big! Could you try closing the Control4 app, deleting the Control4 folder inside of "~/Library/Containers/" in your screenshot above, relaunching the Control4 app, and sending me the app logs when the systems.realm file gets bigger than 30 MB?

By the way, thanks for getting to this thread so quickly.. If anything is required from our side @ChrisHenderson, let me know and I'll provide Justin's details (as Justin developed the driver). 

Thank-you for the quick reply.

I followed the instructions and deleted the Control4 folder, relaunched the Control4 app.  Initial size of the systems.realm file 131kb.  After clicking in and out of a couple camera views I found that the file seemed to be increasing in size, after 10-15 minutes of clicking various views it was 7.3MB.  I left it running on a snapshot view overnight and its 54.82GB today. I've attached the app.log file. It did also make two other app_xxx.log files if needed.

app.log

48 minutes ago, cwilmo said:

I followed the instructions and deleted the Control4 folder, relaunched the Control4 app.  Initial size of the systems.realm file 131kb.  After clicking in and out of a couple camera views I found that the file seemed to be increasing in size, after 10-15 minutes of clicking various views it was 7.3MB.  I left it running on a snapshot view overnight and its 54.82GB today. I've attached the app.log file. It did also make two other app_xxx.log files if needed.

app.log 172.75 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I can't see anything in the logs that would indicate what's going on. Could you repeat the steps of closing the app, deleting the container folder and relaunching the app? Then could you PM me an attachment of your systems.realm file when it gets around 30 MB or larger?

3 hours ago, cwilmo said:

app.log 172.75 kB · 2 downloads

Never mind, I'm seeing the issue now. Control4 tech support got back to me with a login for your system and I think I know what's going on.

I think it is a bug in Realm, which is a database our app uses. I can reproduce it on my iPad, so it's not a bug with the M1 version of the app. I have a fix. I'll get you a link tomorrow that will let you test out the fix for yourself, if you'd like.

Thanks for your hard work and prompt attention to this!  Seems like it will help a good number of folks then.  

I would be happy to test it out - I tend to leave the app running on my computer while I work and it gets old having it lock up from loss of free space. 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.