C4 Forums | Control4

Who Uses the Audio-In on a Controller and why?

therockhr

I must admit that I never saw a purpose for this.  

Thinking about it now, I actually think I have a need for this.  My matrix is full and I want to connect another audio source to the whole house… am I right in saying that if I connect this to my EA5 (which already has 2 connections to the matrix) then this new source will reach my whole house although it will reduce the number of digital media streams available (by 1) if it is in use.  

7 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

am I right in saying that if I connect this to my EA5 (which already has 2 connections to the matrix) then this new source will reach my whole house although it will reduce the number of digital media streams available (by 1) if it is in use.  

Yes, though I would say you don't reduce the amount of digital streams - I would say it becomes a digital stream. 😄

In general (these days), yes local sources, these days most commonly a turntable (though I recently did a CD player), that are just inconvenient to have in a rack in the mech room....

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must admit that I never saw a purpose for this.  

Thinking about it now, I actually think I have a need for this.  My matrix is full and I want to connect another audio source to the whole house… am I right in saying that if I connect this to my EA5 (which already has 2 connections to the matrix) then this new source will reach my whole house although it will reduce the number of digital media streams available (by 1) if it is in use.  

You can cheat... move another input to the EA5 (one you rarely use) as EA5 has 2 analog and 2 digital inputs, and then use the matrix input you freed up to add a third output from the EA5. Thus having 3 EA5 connections to the Matrix.

we mainly use an ea input if we have triads spread throughout the house, this helps get a source to the areas that arent connected from our matrix. the only issue you will really run into is if your trying to use a video and audio source. there will be a significant delay. so we mostly only use audio sources but will do a cable box if they wanted to listen to a game where there isnt video. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.