C4 Forums | Control4

Septic Alarm

Topfox

Has anyone ever done anything with a septic alarm. Mine recently went off while I was out at dinner due to a toilet flapper that got stuck open. Luckily my neighbor saw the light and heard the exterior alarm and gave me a call. Would love to do something where I can receive a notification if it is alarming. 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:08 AM, Topfox said:

I need to crack open the box and see.

At a minimum when the alarm is going off it lights up a light build and starts ringing a bell. I assume there is some way I could potentially tap into one of those actions being turn on. 

Wonder if you could tap into that power and ground for a relay or some other sensor. That being said I have a water sensor near our septic croc and ejector pump that if it senses water it turns off the water to the house and alerts me which sensor is going off. I would know that one is likely to be septic water/sewage. 

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Many sceptic alarm setups do indeed have a sensor output to tie into security panels, external alarms or in this case you'd tie it to a sensor on a controller and program away. We've done this numerous times.

Like a relay or a contact?  I still need to go look, but I have an EA-3 and a IO Extender near the inside unit. 

One side of the input puts out 5v. Then when the alarm activates it puts out none.  So would I just wire into this to a contact sensor on the IO Extender in the Sig and GND?  Then program off recognizing the voltage being present?  What driver do you normal use?

Hmm previous reply of mine didn't load apparent;y. You should wire to the alarm input - it may work but if not you're risking it throws off the alarm completely.

Seems like the one you have doesn't have a dedicated ouput - if you're willing to 'life-hack' you could wire to the red light output (assuming it's 5-16v) to sig and ground.

At your own risk of course

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Hmm previous reply of mine didn't load apparent;y. You should wire to the alarm input - it may work but if not you're risking it throws off the alarm completely.

Seems like the one you have doesn't have a dedicated ouput - if you're willing to 'life-hack' you could wire to the red light output (assuming it's 5-16v) to sig and ground.

At your own risk of course

Ok Sig and Gnd of contact on controller. What driver do I use for the detection? Is it just a generic contact driver. 

Thanks for your help on this. Last time my septic went off I wasn’t home and luckily a neighbor heard it and called me. 

We just put a water sensor in the sump pit just above where the pump would trigger. Never had a false alarm and would let you know if the water in the pit is higher than you’d like which can serve as a proxy for the pump alarm.  We had it hard wired into our alarm but I would assume a wireless sensor would work as well. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.