C4 Forums | Control4

Should eARC be avoided with Control4?

jfh

Should I avoid using eARC between a Control4 connected TV (Samsung Frame 2022) and Marantz AVR?

it was recommended years ago to me to use separate TOSlink or digital coax connections instead but I don’t know if that is still the recommendation 

As per above, consider every possible other option before going to eARC.

C4 and CEC are not by default mutually exclusive - indeed there are HDMI switches that provide CEC control TO C4 setups - but there are so many potential pitfalls combining the two in general that it's best avoided.

Better for what?  They both send the same 1s and 0s.  Which one you prefer may depend on your equipment - for example, C4 controllers have coax outputs, but not toslink.  Older C4 matrix amps would take coax but not toslink as well.

Mostly concerned if they will both handle the newer audio formats.  Had read some articles (old) that indicated they couldn’t handle the new Dolby stuff which didn’t make sense to me but I know nothing about audio

Typically, it's recommended to use a streamer box (AppleTV, Roku, Nvidia Shield) rather than the built in apps of the TV.
That eliminates needing an Audio Return from the TV.

You're correct in Optical or Digital Coax does not handle all the surround formats that eARC can.
But any of the mentioned streamer boxes will bass all surround formats through the HDMI to the receiver to process, and then the receiver passes the video on to the TV.

All Video Sources -> Receiver -> Single HDMI input on OneConnectBox -> Frame TV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.