C4 Forums | Control4

Install Apple TV/4k without needing an iOS Phone/Tablet?

A friend gifted me an AppleTV 4k today, and I'm working on getting it added to Control4 (I work for a Dealer, so have access to Composer Pro).

I'm using the Control4 supplied drivers, with both Bridge and the AppleTV drivers added. Going through the setup, it seems to require opening the Control4 app on an iOS device in order to activate 'Apple TV Control.'

I have an Android Phone, and the app there doesn't have this option (no big surprise). And when I log into my account on Control4's page, Windows PC, no such option is there either.

Is there any way to 'emulate' this, or otherwise activate Apple TV Control without physically having an iOS device?

Thanks.

I appreciate the replies, while certainly disappointed with my first venture into the world of Apple. And I'm guessing that even though the ATV is using ethernet, rather than WiFi, having someone use a suitable iOS device remotely, where I've given temporary access to my Control4 Project using 4Sight, wouldn't work either, correct?

I contacted Intrinsic about theirs, and they said I wouldn't need an iOS device to use their Driver to get the ATV into my project. I don't know yet what the cost is, or if there are limitations relative to using the official Control4 driver, but that might be an option.

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You can't use Halo voice remote if you use the Intrinsic driver 

Thanks. Not an issue for me, but good to know.

I mainly want to use the ATV for testing and comparisons, especially relative to any potential issues when used with the madVR Envy video processor. As long as the Intrinsic driver gives me basic access and connectivity with Control4, that will work for me. I'm happy with the SR260 and some Alexa in my theater, so don't need additional voice control.

16 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

Thanks - something to consider if I strike out elsewhere.

I do prefer IP in general, but IR is a viable option.

U can use IP with Intrinsic driver (50 UKP), or Jesse IR driver (free), both does not need Apple device to work, but u will suffer without an Apple device thought, It will be hell to type passwords all the time on the Apple TV!

3 hours ago, Amr said:

U can use IP with Intrinsic driver (50 UKP), or Jesse IR driver (free), both does not need Apple device to work, but u will suffer without an Apple device thought, It will be hell to type passwords all the time on the Apple TV!

I hadn't included that in my post, but you are absolutely correct about this. The driver issue was frustrating, but this was completely ridiculous.

I then googled using a keyboard with the ATV. Fortunately, the Logitech MX Keys keyboard I use with my PC has a Bluetooth mode as well. I was able to connect that with the Apple TV, and went through all of that setup yesterday morning. That worked extremely well, so that part is all done. If not for the keyboard option, I think I would have returned the darn thing, gift or not!

Regarding the IP or IR driver: are there any differences in functionality or overall capability and sophistication between them? As I said, I like the 'cleaner' physical install of an IP driver, and the 2-way communication it provides can potentially be preferable. But for those familiar with both, do they work exactly the same, equally reliable, with the only difference being the one physical cable?

36 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

I hadn't included that in my post, but you are absolutely correct about this. The driver issue was frustrating, but this was completely ridiculous.

I then googled using a keyboard with the ATV. Fortunately, the Logitech MX Keys keyboard I use with my PC has a Bluetooth mode as well. I was able to connect that with the Apple TV, and went through all of that setup yesterday morning. That worked extremely well, so that part is all done. If not for the keyboard option, I think I would have returned the darn thing, gift or not!

Regarding the IP or IR driver: are there any differences in functionality or overall capability and sophistication between them? As I said, I like the 'cleaner' physical install of an IP driver, and the 2-way communication it provides can potentially be preferable. But for those familiar with both, do they work exactly the same, equally reliable, with the only difference being the one physical cable?

Good thinking about the BT keyboard, I still have one MX for a couple of rooms! Was handy before Apple integrate ATV to everything!

We had issues with Intrinsic IP driver when Apple moved to tvOS 15 and broke the known API’s, I had since then fitted an IR bug to every ATV I have, I kept them just in case!

Jesse IR driver is superior IMO as it provides a replica of same features of the original Apple Remote no one else managed to create, Menu double click and u will have App switching so u can close apps, etc. but if this not an issue then Intrinsic is great Driver as well, I used both for a long time but switched to native C4 driver (works well, 0 issues) last Xmas when upgrading to EA5!

8 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

Just to wrap this up, I went ahead and used the IR Driver, and everything seems fine. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems fine.

Appreciate the help here.

Sorry I forgot to mention if u r using Jesse’s driver use the Alternate driver as it’s 100% mimics Apple one! 

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Sorry I forgot to mention if u r using Jesse’s driver use the Alternate driver as it’s 100% mimics Apple one! 

The Info on the driver does say Jesse Smith. Not sure what "Alternate driver" is referring to. This is my first experience with any Apple hardware, so not yet familiar with the benefits of the Apple remote.

AppleTV v4 EA[IR]
Device File:Apple_TV_V4_EA.c4z
Version 3
3/20/2018

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.