C4 Forums | Control4

What Are Your Top 3 Favourite “Features” In Your House

ajd123

9 hours ago, booch said:

Thanks, man. And yeah, wouldn't make sense for most users or integrators, most likely. Building stuff and (self-taught) coding is my downtime/relax hobby, which as I tell my wife, results in something tangible beyond my enjoyment occasionally, ha.

That said, given my level of investment in HA, I'd also be pretty disappointed if I couldn't do stuff like this. I think C4 is on the right track with features they're adding, e.g., the circadian and preset stuff, so I'm just glad the platform has the flexibility for me to fill the gap in the meantime.

This is super cool -- did you design your house or add this? (See you have some other creative/designed kit based on the posts above.)

Designed and built myself.  I build custom homes.  Smart wiring / AV for always been one of my favorite parts of a new build.

2 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Mag locks work good for single doors but not double doors.

? There's specific double door mag locks with double leaves that mount behind the door (with a z-bracket or catch to allow in-swing door)

A good and pretty common 1200 pound double door mag lock (that would be 1200lb PER LEAF!) will hold those door together no problem - honestly even a 600 pound standard unit should hold the door together better than a standard deadbolt would. In some rare cases where the double 'doors' were extremely heavy themselves AND inclined to swing open (bookshelves actually holding books, wine shelving holding shelves - think along those lines where no matter how straight the hinge alignment, the awkward weight distribution works against it) we've done two sets of double mag locks - one top anchored above the door, one anchored in the floor (not as efficient of course, but added to a regular installed lock to actually hold the door, this prevents the 'flex' you can get with heavy/tall doors at the bottom) , and in some cases a higher rating (We've used locks rated as high as 4000 lbs).

And yes maglocks have may way of being made to look good/be nearly invisible even from the 'visible' side - that's all in the imagination of the finisher.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

? There's specific double door mag locks with double leaves that mount behind the door (with a z-bracket or catch to allow in-swing door)

A good and pretty common 1200 pound double door mag lock (that would be 1200lb PER LEAF!) will hold those door together no problem - honestly even a 600 pound standard unit should hold the door together better than a standard deadbolt would. In some rare cases where the double 'doors' were extremely heavy themselves AND inclined to swing open (bookshelves actually holding books, wine shelving holding shelves - think along those lines where no matter how straight the hinge alignment, the awkward weight distribution works against it) we've done two sets of double mag locks - one top anchored above the door, one anchored in the floor (not as efficient of course, but added to a regular installed lock to actually hold the door, this prevents the 'flex' you can get with heavy/tall doors at the bottom) , and in some cases a higher rating (We've used locks rated as high as 4000 lbs).

And yes maglocks have may way of being made to look good/be nearly invisible even from the 'visible' side - that's all in the imagination of the finisher.

Mag locks for residential construction is not something we ever use so my experience with it is pretty much nil. Do you mind sending some product links and/or pictures of these installations?  

I am also curious to know the cost involved for mag locks along with the electrical requirements and rough in.

maglock.com? They'll list any number of options.

Cost for mag locks will range extensively. I suggest not overpaying for a branded Schlage , but expect to pay somewhere from $400 to $800 for a double door (double leaf) mag lock at 1200 lbs. You'll likely want to add a beefy 24v powersupply, but that's under 100

Rough in cost are nearly impossible to say really - if we're talking about something along the lines of what you did there, it's going to be full custom. The rough in itself shouldn't be that expensive if full reno/new contruction - you're talking about a low voltage wire from the lock to a switch, then to a second switch if dual override is required, then to where your system is at. Honestly in the scheme of things I'm not sure the sales guys even charge for it on a whole house wiring quote.

Retro and finishing - well that is impossible to give a range on beyond anywhere from $1 to $100000.

To be clear: maglocks are not a cheap option: but it comes with several safety features, and are extremely versatile. In the end the cost for a hidden door is in the hidden door and finishing itself much more than the locking mechanism.

I know of a cabinet maker that makes custom bookshelf doors (no locking included) that charges more for a single door size unit than we do for a smallish c4 system with lightning including all a/v 🤣

Then again I made one for myself (though no fancy finish on the 'inside') with leftover material and a single mag lock for...about the 200 for the mag lock and a pair of hinges. 🤫 Now that one was nothing too fancy, and a half height built-in shelving unit that can be pulled out to provide access for a 'dump' storage area (suitcases, that sort of thing) but it gives an idea of the range this could go to.

18 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

maglock.com? They'll list any number of options.

Cost for mag locks will range extensively. I suggest not overpaying for a branded Schlage , but expect to pay somewhere from $400 to $800 for a double door (double leaf) mag lock at 1200 lbs. You'll likely want to add a beefy 24v powersupply, but that's under 100

Rough in cost are nearly impossible to say really - if we're talking about something along the lines of what you did there, it's going to be full custom. The rough in itself shouldn't be that expensive if full reno/new contruction - you're talking about a low voltage wire from the lock to a switch, then to a second switch if dual override is required, then to where your system is at. Honestly in the scheme of things I'm not sure the sales guys even charge for it on a whole house wiring quote.

Retro and finishing - well that is impossible to give a range on beyond anywhere from $1 to $100000.

Always talking new construction.  I don't do reno's.  I would put one switch in the room and hide another switch somewhere nearby. 

Do these allow for locking/unlocking via smart phone / app?  It's not like front door application where I would be buzzing people in.

I take it 24v power supply would get installed in the AV room/rack?  Is there a battery backup?

Do they require surface mounting, or can everything be buried in the door and door frame (e.g. rout out a box like you would for a mortise lock)?

15 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

To be clear: maglocks are not a cheap option: but it comes with several safety features, and are extremely versatile. In the end the cost for a hidden door is in the hidden door and finishing itself much more than the locking mechanism.

What type of safety features?

15 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I know of a cabinet maker that makes custom bookshelf doors (no locking included) that charges more for a single door size unit than we do for a smallish c4 system with lightning including all a/v 🤣

I have done these as well and they are not cheap, but not crazy expensive.  Just depends on the hinging mechanism used and how "hidden" you want it to be.  I have used this for a locking mechanism in those applications and it has worked well for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07X8N9TN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also depends on the millwork companies past experience.  If they have never done this before, you bet its gonna be costly.  I never like to be the "learning curve" for trades.

4 hours ago, ajd123 said:

What type of safety features?

Primarily the override feature, prevent lock-outs in case of fire or power outages etc, in several ways (ie auto-unlock, lock override switches, battery back-up) as well as optional outputs for state etc

but not crazy expensive

All depends on what you're willing to do for it. You might be surprised what some people readily lay down for these sort of things to be included in their home.

Do these allow for locking/unlocking via smart phone / app?  It's not like front door application where I would be buzzing people in.

I take it 24v power supply would get installed in the AV room/rack?  Is there a battery backup?

Do they require surface mounting, or can everything be buried in the door and door frame (e.g. rout out a box like you would for a mortise lock)?

Directly - there are some, but usually you'd have something like C4 to do this with, or have it tied into a security system (most security systems allow basic relay control devices, though the function is often under utilized) - and then you can use your security system, associated app AND still incorporate it into Control4 or other systems.

Where the supply is is changeable, but generally you'd do it where all the other automation is, yes

As for how they are installed: this is where they are much more versatile than people tend to think (a lot of mag locks are undeniably installed very basic, so you see a huge box) - but depending on application you can use mag locks fully routed into door and frame (shear locks) - or the main unit is in the door frame and an L plate is installed across the top of the door (and can be painted to match the door or even have say a wood veneer that covers the lock AND the door etc).

There are also options for electronic strikes and electronic bolts of course.

Any of these are simply relay controlled devices, and are extremely simple to integrate into C4 or other automation systems. Even retro is often possible enough, by putting power and a local control piece into a nearby closet for example.

But retro is almost always more expensive to finish (nicely).

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

All depends on what you're willing to do for it. You might be surprised what some people readily lay down for these sort of things to be included in their home.

I know.  I have seen people spend more money on their hand carved solid slab Calacutta kitchen island or slate roof than a lot of people spend on their entire house.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Directly - there are some, but usually you'd have something like C4 to do this with, or have it tied into a security system (most security systems allow basic relay control devices, though the function is often under utilized) - and then you can use your security system, associated app AND still incorporate it into Control4 or other systems.

Where the supply is is changeable, but generally you'd do it where all the other automation is, yes

As for how they are installed: this is where they are much more versatile than people tend to think (a lot of mag locks are undeniably installed very basic, so you see a huge box) - but depending on application you can use mag locks fully routed into door and frame (shear locks) - or the main unit is in the door frame and an L plate is installed across the top of the door (and can be painted to match the door or even have say a wood veneer that covers the lock AND the door etc).

There are also options for electronic strikes and electronic bolts of course.

Any of these are simply relay controlled devices, and are extremely simple to integrate into C4 or other automation systems. Even retro is often possible enough, by putting power and a local control piece into a nearby closet for example.

But retro is almost always more expensive to finish (nicely).

So maglock paired with a relay that is controlled via Control4.  Seems simple enough.  Definitely going to look into this for my next project.

I like the idea of Control4 integration, which could be programmed to automatically lock/unlock the maglock to correlate with the armed status of the house.

Has anyone used the Control4 driver for August lock?  What has your experience been?

On 3/31/2023 at 10:57 PM, Cyknight said:

It just occurred to me that in an interior double door application, only a single mag lock is required.  One of the doors is "fixed" with a flush bolt securing the fixed door pretty much at all times.

I personally use two flush bolts (top and bottom) which really helps make the fixed door more secure with less wobble at the bottom (which happens when a flush bolt is just installed at the top of door).

On 3/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

Impossible to pick 3 things…

1. Music that chooses each family members playlist and follows one around the house via simple button taps;

2. Automated lighting (e.g. bathrooms, all downstairs and outside lights going off when the alarm is set and certain ones - eg pool - coming back on if the alarm is deactivated and it is night time);

3. Keypads being used to alert on power outages / borehole water in use  etc. (via red / blue backlights);

4. Solar and generator control and Smart Control of inverters to avoid overloading the house;

5. Full visual BMS feedback on power, water and gas use as well as pool heat pumps, HVAC systems, rainfall, temperatures by room, humidity by room etc.

6. Automated control of aircons, underfloor heating, pool heating, jacuzzi heating, chiller chilling etc. alarm on/off times etc. based on various combinations of modes and parameters (e.g. vacation, in residence, weekend etc,).

7. Ability to press one or two buttons on my house system to tell it that I will be away in 10 days for 7 days and press another 1 or 2 buttons on my Beach House system to alert it that I will be there in 10 days for 7 days and know that everything will just work (geysers, pool heating, jacuzzi, alarm times etc.).

7. Voice control of everything from lights, to AV, to blinds and curtains, to jacuzzi cover; and,

8. Announcements over speaker (both automated and typed in on a touchscreen / iPad.

And all of this excludes the basics of AV, lighting, comfort, pool control, security and camera integration.

I am told that I have over 10,000 lines of automation code in my system (which doesn’t really surprise me with over 1,000 drivers and devices) and I love what it does for me.  I get lost when I am away from home as I am so used to “the house” (as my youngest daughter calls it) doing everything for me.

Ever think about integrating Shivram Paws calendar driver to this? Just put on your calendar something like "Beach House". Then use the calendar driver to "event notification" and use the "event_notified_title" to start a 10 day timer? 
? If event notified title is equal to Beach House 
-> Start beach house timer
? If event notified title is equal to home
-? Start home timer

Could even just set the event to fire 24 hrs prior to start of event and turn everything on 24 hrs before you get there not do a timer. Might not even have to remember to push a button as long as you use the proper "beach house" or "home" every time on the calendar.  

3 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Ever think about integrating Shivram Paws calendar driver to this? Just put on your calendar something like "Beach House". Then use the calendar driver to "event notification" and use the "event_notified_title" to start a 10 day timer? 
? If event notified title is equal to Beach House 
-> Start beach house timer
? If event notified title is equal to home
-? Start home timer

Could even just set the event to fire 24 hrs prior to start of event and turn everything on 24 hrs before you get there not do a timer. Might not even have to remember to push a button as long as you use the proper "beach house" or "home" every time on the calendar.  

Love the idea and definitely worth trying.  I have played around with various scheduler drivers for this but not the calendar drivers (yet).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.