C4 Forums | Control4

Ditching FIOS Gateway - Release Lease

I'm looking for some assistance removing the FIOS Gateway from my network.  I have ethernet from the ONT to the FIOS Gateway then routed through my Araknis 310.  I'd like to remove the Gateway from the system to cut out the unnecessary rental fee.  I've released the DHCP lease, unplugged the ethernet from the Gateway, and connected the ethernet to the Araknis.  Perhaps I'm just too impatient, but I haven't gotten the internet.  Any tips/tricks for getting the Araknis a lease?  TIA!

the Araknis 310 is a router.  You will also need a modem (the FIOS gateway).  I don't believe you can eliminate this from a FIOS system but I could be wrong (we don't have FIOS where I live)...or if you did you would need something else to act as the modem...not sure if you can buy your own like you can with Xfinity?

Actually what you are trying to do is ok and should work. Assumption: you have a newish ONT. The way Fios works is that the ONT pulls the IP so you don’t need any of their equip other than the ONT. That’s how we run it here - the ONT goes straight to a router. 

I have heard that not all ONTs have the eth port enabled by default. You might need to get Fios on the phone and ensure they have the eth on the ONT enabled.

Make sure the ONT output is going to the wan port on the Araknis.

I have a similiar setup. it will work but Im thinking your router is set to a static WAN IP since you had a frontier gateway installed. What is your lan IP that come from the Araknis. I bet its xxx.xxx.0.1 ip pool

This should be easy.

I replaced my gateway with Unifi UDM-PRO.

Hopefully, you don't have FIOS TV as that will require some additional changes.

If this is your first time doing this, the FIOS DHCP may still be caching your gateway's MAC address.

I would double triple check your router first. the WAN interface MUST be doing DHCP. it must also do NAT/PAT so that your home network has something like a 192.168.1.x address...

Don't worry about the ONT.. it only converts the fiber signal and doesn't do anything with the addressing.

You have 2 basic things you can do if you confirmed your router absolutely doesn't work:

1. call FIOS and ask them to renew the DHCP, I believe the FIOS app or online now allows this.

2. clone the MAC address in your Araknis if the Araknis allows it.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - Not related directly to the exact topic of the OP... But I use the following MOCA adapter (goCoax MoCA 2.5 Adapter with 2.5GbE Ethernet Port) to ensure that the FIOS cable boxes are able to get the EPG properly.  It has been rock solid and definitely a huge benefit by not having to pay the rental fee on the FIOS Gateway and my UDM Pro is the only one giving out DHCP addresses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.