C4 Forums | Control4

Lutron Caseta / August SmartLock Touchscreen Controller + Blinds - What is best solution?

computergiant

Question

I have two homes with Lutron Caseta controlling every light / dimmer switch / lamp dimmer with Lutron Caseta motion sensors to trigger lights and turn them off after x minutes of inactivity, and August SmartLocks on every door. Alexa handles the voice control but I'm looking for a touchscreen controller for lights, smart locks and vertical blinds (no hardware purchased for blinds).

Do I need a Control 4 system to do this? The first project is a 1500sqft condo on the beach that must close blinds automatically during sea turtle season at 9pm 6 months out of the year. I want it to be simple enough for renters to use. 

All TVs are ROKU TVs that switch to a live video feed of the beach screensaver after 1 minute of inactivity. There is a SAMSUNG HW-Q67CBIZA soundbar in the living room.

I do want to add a Samsung Frame TV and activate artwork mode as well. 

It would be nice when a renter unlocks the door and steps in (Lutron Caseta motion sensor is by front door) that the lights are turned on to a scene (one for daytime, one for night).

What would be the cheapest way to accomplish touchscreen control of existing devices and to set scenes like this?

16 answers to this question

If you want a single system to control everything from one place, including your A/V equipment, then I recommend Control4, especially if you have a pre-existing Lutron system. I wouldn't say Control4 is the most budget solution but it is very reliable and all controlled locally. It is dealer-based, so not something you can go out and buy yourself, installers do all the programming and installation (Some offer the customer software for basic programming). I would contact a local Control4 dealer for advice or a quote.

Thanks Carter. I was planning on hitting up eBay for some used equipment and programming it myself (I'm a developer). A friend of mine is a dealer/integrator with Control4 & Lutron so I can use him as well, but I wanted to understand the ecosystem and see what I can do on my own without dealer involvement. Hence the question about what specific hardware I need to accomplish my goals. 

Not just a dealer forum, it's all about C4.

You'll just be bothering him to install it or program it.  Better off asking him what he's willing to work with.

No problem asking questions, but when you say you're going to buy used, some dealers frown upon that.  Might as well work with the person who'll be installing it.

No one here is going to suggest buying used equipment that is not compatible with the latest software.

Before I jump into the Control4 ecosystem it would have been helpful to understand it more. All I understand now is that dealers are not willing to provide any insight on this forum. I did not say I wouldn't get equipment from a dealer, nor did I say I was looking to purchase equipment that wasn't compatible with the latest software. From what I can gleam a lot of dealers are only interested in the initial install then abandon their customers when maintenance needs arise (lots of horror stories on here and reddit). 

If trying to understand what the potential solution & equipment are along with long term maintenance costs / ease of changes ar too much of a bother and is "pathetic" to this forum then then this is not something I want to be involved in. 

9 minutes ago, computergiant said:

gleam a lot of dealers are only interested in the initial install then abandon their customers when maintenance needs arise (lots of horror stories on here and reddit). 

I would whole hardly disagree with you. I support my customers 15+ hrs a day and have had relationships for years... 

3 hours ago, computergiant said:

Before I jump into the Control4 ecosystem it would have been helpful to understand it more. All I understand now is that dealers are not willing to provide any insight on this forum. I did not say I wouldn't get equipment from a dealer, nor did I say I was looking to purchase equipment that wasn't compatible with the latest software. From what I can gleam a lot of dealers are only interested in the initial install then abandon their customers when maintenance needs arise (lots of horror stories on here and reddit). 

If trying to understand what the potential solution & equipment are along with long term maintenance costs / ease of changes ar too much of a bother and is "pathetic" to this forum then then this is not something I want to be involved in. 

As for equipment, I have a few suggestions. I am not a Control4 dealer but know a fair amount about the system. No matter what, to integrate everything together you will need a controller. These are the brains of the system. Typically you would have a controller at each TV or media centre since they have audio outputs, and HDMI outputs for the on-screen interface, this will allow you to stream and control media which handles the TVs and soundbars. One of your controllers will be the master and handle the main integrations such as your Lutron lighting. I recommend the EA-1 or CORE-1 controllers for this, some will come with remotes as well. As for touch screens, the T4 series should do it. It is possible to buy equipment used, as long as you acknowledge the risks of doing so, and your dealer is okay with programming it. That would be a good way to save a few bucks since it is expensive.

Thank you Carter. That is precisely the information I was looking for. I understand my dealer will need to do the programming and I wanted to get an idea of what equipment would be needed prior to contacting him, and if buying used was even an option to bring some costs down. 

18 hours ago, computergiant said:

your original post screams "I am downloading a cracked version of composer pro and doing this on my own".  no offense.  and most dealers are trying to protect their means of an income.  There are many dealers on here, Lipp included, who go above and beyond to help end users who are in need, want to mess around with Composer HE, etc.

But when people come here, ask for a list of components because a "friend" is doing the job, usually, maybe not in your case, that screams using cracked composer pro.

I have a friend who is an electrician - like invited to my wedding of only 100 people good friend...when I have a question he is glad to answer a text or a call from me.  before we moved into our house I had a ton of questions, so we handled that over a beer after work at the bar, but you get the idea.  if this is a friend, I am sure he can give you the basics?

problem is, your friend may only install C4 lighting and not know lutron, so I think what Lipp was trying to say, if you got a friend in the business, ask what he has done, what he can do, what he suggests and doesnt want to support, etc.  That is going to be your deciding factor if a friend is helping you. 

Even if it was a paid dealer (aka not a friend), there are many threads on here where people get 2 quotes from 2 dealers and are confused as there is different hardware spec'd and that is because there are several ways to get to the end game here, and lots of users will post their $.02 on the quotes and offer advice/suggestions/feedback, etc.

so asking us to quote hardware that someone else is going to install is well, rather hard other than saying you need a C4 processor (EA is older stuff, Core is newer) to run the project.  if you are buying from ebay, steer clear of anything HC-xxx as that is very old equipment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.