C4 Forums | Control4

Music Playlist Options

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

I did the programming here.  Used my standard "DAC" driver that I made to represent the DAC, so it takes digital coax in and outputs analog.  My understanding is that Control4 sees that there is a digital path option from the CORE 3, and would use that first.  Perhaps I need to use the AV path setter driver instead?  Or perhaps the controller just needs a reboot since adding the digital path?

Any chance C4 defaults to the shortest path over the digital path?

To be clear, C4 should always do hdmi to digital to stereo unless there's something preventing it. And no, this doesn't just count for their own controllers. It's in no small part the very reason the AV pathsetter driver exists so you can block or force certain setups.

That's how it's been fro day 1 at least - though I can't exclude the possibility something there was changed in a recent software version off hand.

Now exactly why that isn't working in your setup I don;t know

25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

To be clear, C4 should always do hdmi to digital to stereo unless there's something preventing it. And no, this doesn't just count for their own controllers. It's in no small part the very reason the AV pathsetter driver exists so you can block or force certain setups.

That's how it's been fro day 1 at least - though I can't exclude the possibility something there was changed in a recent software version off hand.

Now exactly why that isn't working in your setup I don;t know

Thanks for weighing in. I was hoping to hear your input. As @chopedogg88 asked above, would the AV Path Setter driver be a solution for this issue? I honestly don't care as much about the "why" if we can find a fix!! Thanks again. 

The AV path setter driver was tried today with no success. If anyone else has any thoughts as to why the Core3 is defaulting to the analog outputs over the digital, please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, ekohn00 said:

Here's a list of all the minidrivers, so yes on spotify.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 11.17.55 AM.png

Just got the Node wired in.  It clearly sounds better than C4 native audio (at least for Spotify).

My problem is that it's less-usable by the fact that I can't have a separate Spotify Connect endpoint in each room -- at least that I can tell.  If I have a single Node, I have a single instance to target from the Spotify app -- no matter how many instances of the mini-driver I have.  Am I doing something incorrectly?

C4 native is nice, because I have a separate Spotify driver in each room, which appears as a separate instance that can be targeted from the Spotify app.

On 7/13/2023 at 12:17 AM, BY96 said:

The AV path setter driver was tried today with no success. If anyone else has any thoughts as to why the Core3 is defaulting to the analog outputs over the digital, please chime in.

just some thoughts.....

have you tried it without having a analog path?

Also, do you have a driver that identifies the DAC somehow? so the path to the matrix comes from the dac(or pseudo driver) vs the core?

1 minute ago, ekohn00 said:

just some thoughts.....

have you tried it without having a analog path?

Also, do you have a driver that identifies the DAC somehow? so the path to the matrix comes from the dac(or pseudo driver) vs the core?

The digital output works fine when the two analog paths are eliminated. And the digital output works fine when I have three different audio streams coming from the Core3. 

@chopedogg88 posted above that he added his generic DAC driver in the path. 

Thanks for the thoughts! 

Just got the Node wired in.  It clearly sounds better than C4 native audio (at least for Spotify).
My problem is that it's less-usable by the fact that I can't have a separate Spotify Connect endpoint in each room -- at least that I can tell.  If I have a single Node, I have a single instance to target from the Spotify app -- no matter how many instances of the mini-driver I have.  Am I doing something incorrectly?
C4 native is nice, because I have a separate Spotify driver in each room, which appears as a separate instance that can be targeted from the Spotify app.

I think we may have discussed this but o do believe you can expose the Bluesound Spotify driver everywhere, but since you only have the one node, you just cannot steam 2 simultaneous instances. This is true for any streamer. The native (Ryff) and Autonomics (Mirage MMS) steamers have multiple streams (ie Core5, Core3, Core1, MMS-5e, MMS-3e, MMS-1e) …where the numeric portion of the product name is the simultaneous streams. Bluesound sounds fantastic, but look at Mirage MMS-3e and get 3 simultaneous streams. (Or 5 with the 5e) if you want a more robust Spotify integration. I don’t have one in hand right now (2 on demo), but when I get one back I’ll send you one to try.

6 hours ago, time2jet said:

I think we may have discussed this but o do believe you can expose the Bluesound Spotify driver everywhere, but since you only have the one node, you just cannot steam 2 simultaneous instances. This is true for any streamer. The native (Ryff) and Autonomics (Mirage MMS) steamers have multiple streams (ie Core5, Core3, Core1, MMS-5e, MMS-3e, MMS-1e) …where the numeric portion of the product name is the simultaneous streams. Bluesound sounds fantastic, but look at Mirage MMS-3e and get 3 simultaneous streams. (Or 5 with the 5e) if you want a more robust Spotify integration. I don’t have one in hand right now (2 on demo), but when I get one back I’ll send you one to try.

Yep - makes sense!  I can expose the Bluesound Spotify driver in every room like you said.  The real issue is that I can't make the stream start or launch in any room that I want.  It starts in the room where the Node lives and then I had to use the C4 interface to join/add it to other rooms.  Not terrible, but not as nice as using the C4 native audio.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:01 PM, LollerAgent said:

Yep - makes sense!  I can expose the Bluesound Spotify driver in every room like you said.  The real issue is that I can't make the stream start or launch in any room that I want.  It starts in the room where the Node lives and then I had to use the C4 interface to join/add it to other rooms.  Not terrible, but not as nice as using the C4 native audio.

I think those of us using Bluesound or other DACs are probably more focused on Quality vs Quantity.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:01 PM, LollerAgent said:

I feel like there was a way I was able to use it on the manner you’re attempting.  I still say grab a used mirage (even an MMS-5a (I might have one very cheap for you since we’re friends).  This way you can use it for Spotify only and have that more robust integration versus having to open the Spotify app every time.  Sell the node for more than you’ll pay me for the mirage. And get 5 steams. 

8 hours ago, time2jet said:

I feel like there was a way I was able to use it on the manner you’re attempting.

Not with blusound. What he means is having a spotify living room driver, and have it autoplay from the spotify appby selecting that room's spotify broadcast, and one for the master  and so on.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, time2jet said:

On a side note, I know Spotify crushes everyone in terms of users, the app is very nice, but the actual sound is the worst out I believe.  Someone here can shed light.  

siriusxm has got to be the worst.....

5 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

siriusxm has got to be the worst.....

Nah, there's plenty worse (TuneIn, iHeart and others) but SXM is also just a completely different service to begin with then something like Spotify, for a different use (to a degree).

SXM as the others I mentioned that are worse are still more 'classic' radio listening.

It's what is used the most in my house, because most of us just want to turn on some background music in a genre, don't care to look for specific songs, artists or even playlists. But it's just for background use, not for dedicated listening.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:15 AM, ekohn00 said:

I think those of us using Bluesound or other DACs are probably more focused on Quality vs Quantity.

For @ekohn00 or anyone else using Bluesound: 

I am extremely happy with using the Core3 for multiroom audio, but since I am paying for the high-end Tidal tier, I would like to be able to improve the quality of my listening in the living room. Right now, I am using an SMSL DAC (which renders MQA) between an EA-3 and my Arcam AVP in that room. But I have a couple of weeks to return the DAC. This thread got me researching the Bluesound Node and I found one at a great price. I assume it would be a few steps up in quality than my current EA-3/DAC combo? I also want to confirm that I can fully control the Node through Control4 (and don't need to use the BluOS app). Specifically, can I access my Tidal Playlists within the C4 Bluesound driver? 

15 hours ago, BY96 said:

For @ekohn00 or anyone else using Bluesound: 

I am extremely happy with using the Core3 for multiroom audio, but since I am paying for the high-end Tidal tier, I would like to be able to improve the quality of my listening in the living room. Right now, I am using an SMSL DAC (which renders MQA) between an EA-3 and my Arcam AVP in that room. But I have a couple of weeks to return the DAC. This thread got me researching the Bluesound Node and I found one at a great price. I assume it would be a few steps up in quality than my current EA-3/DAC combo? I also want to confirm that I can fully control the Node through Control4 (and don't need to use the BluOS app). Specifically, can I access my Tidal Playlists within the C4 Bluesound driver? 

The node's music selections are fully selectable in C4. You still need the BluOS app for setting up the bluesound.

SMSL makes several DACs, i've heard some of the top ones are nicer than Blusound.  I still haven't found that DAC for me, for my listening room..... my bluos is for whole home and the pool house.

And before you get set on TIdal/MQA, you may want to take a minute. MQA has gone into backruptcy and Tidal is now looking to embrace FLAC.

The SMSL DAC I was using is not a higher end one. It got excellent reviews but was under $100.

I read some articles last night about Tidal moving to FLAC. At least with the Bluesound, it doesn’t matter which format they use.

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, BY96 said:

The SMSL DAC I was using is not a higher end one. It got excellent reviews but was under $100.

I read some articles last night about Tidal moving to FLAC. At least with the Bluesound, it doesn’t matter which format they use.

Thanks for the info!

Funny, I was looking at the less expensive SMSL too, but ended up using HIFIBERRY DACs on a PI. They're supposed to be about the same. 

I find the BluSound a step up.

I don't have Tidal, so i never compared the two formats. but FLAC being lossless is going to always be better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.