C4 Forums | Control4

CA-10

penn65000

We’ve had recent issue w CA-10. Couldn’t log in but after a day or two was able to log in. Happened again recently and got dealer involved. They couldn’t gain access either and they suspect the network card is dead and they plan to RMA the CA-10. It is still on 5 year warranty but wondering if there are any experiences like this with CA-10? We had C4 audio matrix fail and was power supply issue (which is big issue with their audio matrices). Just checking if there are production issues w CA10. Ty. 

So if you have 1 port plugged in, it works, if you swap the port, it works, but 2 plugged in, it doesn't?

Try turning off RSTP/STP to the CA10 ports. Also, make sure Link Aggregation isn't enabled on those 2 ports too. Then power cycle the switch and CA10

If you don't have RSTP/STP enabled on your switch, well, I'd be a bit worried (unless there is a very legit reason)

2 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

Also, make sure Link Aggregation isn't enabled on those 2 ports too

This would be my first thought. If indeed it works on either port as a single, but not if both are connected.

OR possibly an IP conflict on the ports.

Of course a network card can fail: heck that's the very reason it HAS a failover port to begin with. And yes if it's just a single port failure overall (the thread is a bit confusing on that) and it's in warranty....well get it RMA'd.

But to the question if this is 'seen before': While I'd be surprised if ti was NEVER seen EVER - I can tell you I've not seen it or heard of it failing on a CA-10, and while I vaguely remember that I've had occasions where a controller network card failed, meaning without an obvious cause (basically, lightning strike entering the network) it's been rare, and I would say I can count them on one hand (and while I have all my fingers, I certainly wouldn't need them) - out of many hundreds over years.

I’ve seen spanning tree protocol (improperly configured) cause this type of behavior on HA network configurations where STP would prevent the release of the IP address from the old MAC address to the new MAC address. This would be my first guess at the switching layer. The fact that the ports individually work when one is plugged in and the other is not plugged in is very telling that it is most likely a network device configuration issue of either the CA10 or the switch.

21 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

So if you have 1 port plugged in, it works, if you swap the port, it works, but 2 plugged in, it doesn't?

Try turning off RSTP/STP to the CA10 ports. Also, make sure Link Aggregation isn't enabled on those 2 ports too. Then power cycle the switch and CA10

If you don't have RSTP/STP enabled on your switch, well, I'd be a bit worried (unless there is a very legit reason)

This is exactly what I would bet money on right here. I would also add that if there are multiple switches in the network that would also add layers of complexity to the issue with HA devices if those switches are unable to properly talk to each other due to STP configuration mismatches especially if one is running STP and another is running RSTP and you are using DHCP on the CA10.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.