C4 Forums | Control4

Mini-driver question

zaphod

12 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Do mini drivers need to be added to each room where you will be using them, or do they just need to be added once to your project and you can map several rooms to one instance of a mini-driver, say Netflix?

Once and mapped. But when you add them once and mapped they are all named the same. If you want custom names then you need to add more then once 

23 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

I believe there is an exception when using video distribution. Someone can confirm, but I recall a reason they’d be required on a per room basis when using distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it's not. I have the same watch Netflix in every room

(Mini apps aside) - In your standard distribution setup in C4, do you typically lock players to rooms? There is definitely a quirk I have seen in more than one system whereby a single mini app per service didn’t work.

I will try to replicate the situation and let you know what/why this isn’t always possible (single app/service). Like I said, I am distributing via a matrix in my own setup and recall I couldn’t use a single miniapp per service. Would love that, trust me.

11 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

(Mini apps aside) - In your standard distribution setup in C4, do you typically lock players to rooms? There is definitely a quirk I have seen in more than one system whereby a single mini app per service didn’t work.

I will try to replicate the situation and let you know what/why this isn’t always possible (single app/service). Like I said, I am distributing via a matrix in my own setup and recall I couldn’t use a single miniapp per service. Would love that, trust me.

never have had that problem with any matrix....

10 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Once and mapped. But when you add them once and mapped they are all named the same. If you want custom names then you need to add more then once 

By custom names do you mean room specific - like Netflix Kitchen or Netflix Office?  Or are there other reasons for having different names?

my issue with using one shortcut driver is i prefer one device over another in my setup. If i want to use youtube my shield tv has a better interface. but netflix hdr and atmos only works on my roku, shield is getting a bit long in the tooth. So you would need one for each to properly select the one you want or need to do some programming. The driver will always try to use a device that is not in use or use the device that got the first selection if there are no devices left, or use a device that is using the same service. So in a larger distribution system it may require more. 

18 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

my issue with using one shortcut driver is i prefer one device over another in my setup. If i want to use youtube my shield tv has a better interface. but netflix hdr and atmos only works on my roku, shield is getting a bit long in the tooth. So you would need one for each to properly select the one you want or need to do some programming. The driver will always try to use a device that is not in use or use the device that got the first selection if there are no devices left, or use a device that is using the same service. So in a larger distribution system it may require more. 

Same. Although I’m doing this for things like ease of ability to swap sources between multiple screens on a single wall and also for knowing which sources support things like Atmos and which I have configured not to since I have a mix of TVs with varying surround capabilities but don’t want to lock devices to rooms. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.