C4 Forums | Control4

Delay - normal timer option.

Monopoly

Question

I have an occupancy timer for my kitchen lights that is triggered by a motion sensor. It works perfect. Except for if you are eating or reading in the kitchen and not moving enough to trigger the motion sensor to trigger the timer to keep the lights on. 

Is there a way to set another trigger to manually extend another timer for a duration so the normal 5-minute timer is longer?

As in "tap a button, button LED changes color (feedback), and 5-minute timer is delayed for 1 hour". 

I like the timer due to the kids NEVER turn lights off... 

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Make the timer much longer.

You've added a pain point that's not resulting in significant savings.
If you're using LED the cost savings between a 5 minute occupancy off and a 30 minute is going to be less than a latte a year.

Average kitchen LED lighting, it's about $6 a month if left on 24 hours a day!
Which is about a penny per hour.

Thanks RAV.

I'm not overly concerned about the cost of running lights. More of a principle. Or even more so, the ability is already there due to C4 has programming available.

To your point, I could just delete the timer. Because why worry about a cup of coffee. In fact, I could just hardwire all the lights on and get rid of the dimmers...lol. 

1 hour ago, Monopoly said:

Thanks RAV.

I'm not overly concerned about the cost of running lights. More of a principle. Or even more so, the ability is already there due to C4 has programming available.

To your point, I could just delete the timer. Because why worry about a cup of coffee. In fact, I could just hardwire all the lights on and get rid of the dimmers...lol. 

I understand your point. I'm just saying, make the timer longer and you'll likely have a better experience without adding more programming and complications.

21 minutes ago, RAV said:

and there's also Presence Sensors rather than just motion:
https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-athom-human-presence-sensor

Those are pretty cool.  Only downside is they're wifi, not hardwired, and power is USB C (with included brick -- with a 90deg angle, which is clever).

I've played with them a bit, and the mmWave sensor combined with the PIR works out pretty well.

And since Alan already has a driver for them...

RyanE

36 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Those are pretty cool.  Only downside is they're wifi, not hardwired, and power is USB C (with included brick -- with a 90deg angle, which is clever).

I've played with them a bit, and the mmWave sensor combined with the PIR works out pretty well.

And since Alan already has a driver for them...

RyanE

I actually plan to try to run USB C power using the alarm wire that is in the wall...convert it to USB C on both ends...then ceiling mount em

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I actually plan to try to run USB C power using the alarm wire that is in the wall...convert it to USB C on both ends...then ceiling mount em

Yeah, I have some converting USB ends to try the same thing w/ 12v DC supply.

Haven't done it yet, but I have the parts around here somewhere...  :)

RyanE

You could just make a button that when pressed changes the default timer time to 30min. also start a timer (30min) to set it back to the 5min and If the light is ON restart the timer

On 4/15/2024 at 3:58 PM, msgreenf said:

12V to USB C works, although this is a bit bulky, I tried it with a PC supply, worked fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DGDQ48H

And of course, you can get them for a lot cheaper if you want to wait from Aliexpress...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805320583139.html

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.