C4 Forums | Control4

Must upgrade to 2.0.1 to use a HC300C..........is BS

xc420

Why? Why must existing customers upgrade to 2.0.1 to use the more powerful HC-300c? The response might be some technical reason why 2.0.1 is required......BS. The real reason is obviously Control4 is hell bent on FORCING existing customers to "upgrade" whether they want to or not.

I'm sure this decision has a everything to do with 4store. What about customers that could give a rats a$$ about 4store, but would like to use the more powerful HC300c? I would gladly buy the newer HC300c, but if I'm forced to upgrade, NO THANKS!

If I'm forced to upgrade to 2.0 just to maintain my current system when the controller goes out - no more Control4 for me.

It's probably because they didn't think it was worth it to be backward-compatible. I am wondering if this will be case for future updates. C4 OS 2.2 comes out and there we go again.

Also, 2.0 uses some kind of licensing and gets DIYers out of the way. The only people that don't want to upgrade are DIYers, imo.

Also, 2.0 uses some kind of licensing and gets DIYers out of the way. The only people that don't want to upgrade are DIYers, imo.

or people who want better performance.......or people who have tons of v2 remotes.... or people who have hardware that is not compatible with zigbee pro.......or people like me who are happy with 1.7.4..........or people who don't want to see "search for network" randomly after they replace all the v2 remotes with SR250's:).........or people who would like to create lighting scenes from touchpanels.............or who knows why?

It would be nice to maintain a system you're happy with.

On a side note, I heard all the new controllers will ship with 2.0 and above only. Not certain of this but that's what I heard.

I'm sure the DIY crowd is a very very very very very small percentage of C4 owners out there. (I might have under estimated it a bit .0023%) so this shouldn't come into play. I think 4store is the main reason why controllers will only ship with 2.0. Control4 needs to realize that 4store will never ever be successful for developers so where's the incentive to develope apps for it? Forcing customers to upgrade to help bolster 4store sales is a lost cause. It will never happen. Let customers have what they want - a system they can maintain without having to worry about components becoming obsolete and/or irreplaceable.

^ Two points:

1) All the new announcements are predicated on a soon to be released maintenance upgrade 2.01

2) The benefit with the upgrade is solely to C4. They level set their sw release and have only one major release to support. There's essentially no consideration of the customer or dealer base. How'd you like to be a dealer and find out about this at the the same time the client base does. And the dealers are the ones that actually buy the equipment (and then resell it of course).

^How's this different than anytime in the past? My dealer doesn't know squat about drivers nor new equipment or fixes to existing unless brought to his attention. He's too frickin busy on $10M new construction jobs (read: MAKING MONEY)!

If I'm forced to upgrade to 2.0 just to maintain my current system when the controller goes out - no more Control4 for me.

yeah, the entire world should stop for you. how are you accessing this website running windows 3.1?

yeah' date=' the entire world should stop for you. how are you accessing this website running windows 3.1?[/quote']

If I wanted to I could use windows 3.1 to access this site.

yeah' date=' the entire world should stop for you. how are you accessing this website running windows 3.1?[/quote']

Yeah, I don't quite understand your point here..........I'm using a hammer and chisel.

Here's an analogy you might understand. If your water pump goes out on your car do you have to buy a new car ?

Here's an analogy you might understand. If your water pump goes out on your car do you have to buy a new car ?

Sure if you drive a Pontiac Fiero and there arent any ones available from eBay. The cost of the replacement pump could just about equal a newer, better car ;)

I am not a DIYer but I am not upgrading. This is because I am not getting any new stuff. I know when I do, I'll have to upgrade which sucks! On top of it, it seems like I have to pay to upgrade (i know new HC1000 = free upgrade license) but I still pay for dealer's time, which was much more than a upgrade licence when I was forced to upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8.

What, Control4 wants to make a profit on the OS it spent years of time and tons of money to develop? :mad: I thought it was a charitable institution!

You can't really expect to use all the latest hardware with the old school OS. This is pretty standard in the tech industry like it or not. If its any consolation I would stay away from the new HC-300C, without HDMI out its already obsolete.

Sure if you drive a Pontiac Fiero and there arent any ones available from eBay. The cost of the replacement pump could just about equal a newer' date=' better car ;)[/quote']

Wrong! you still have a choice.

Sure if you drive a Pontiac Fiero and there arent any ones available from eBay. The cost of the replacement pump could just about equal a newer' date=' better car ;)[/quote']

I just checked the O'Reilly Autoparts web site. They have a water pump for a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Sport L4 - 2.5L vin R 151ci 2474cc - TBI GAS OHV

Yeah' date=' but the water pump is still available...[/quote']

So is gear running 1.7.4, we see it for sale here and on eBay.

In my case, I really do need a 2.0 upgrade. Not for the horoscope app from 4store - but for the ZigBee ZAPs. Since I installed C4, my master area has 5-10sec delays on average for 2/way lights and many times it just does not work at all. I bought the latest and greatest 1000v3 (my 4th controller) and I am pretty ready even if I need still to replace motion sensors and remotes, but what kills the deal is that I need to replace all my touchscreens. 7" touchscreens were 2yr ago just out - I had to wait for them to install it, and now they say they do not want to provide any intercom functionality for them.

I'm thinking just calling my dealer and having him all C4 back since I don't have basic functionality - I think I was patient enough :) - and then I can buy new equipment with OS 2.3 after a vacation :) with SR-350 and v5 touchscreens... or just buy things that work like lutron and (i|g)Pads :)

BTW, flash is not new tech, it's an old technology....

I just checked the O'Reilly Autoparts web site. They have a water pump for a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Sport L4 - 2.5L vin R 151ci 2474cc - TBI GAS OHV

Yes, and I also managed to find a carb rebuild kit for a 1962 corvair monza a few summers ago at an ABC auto parts. These things won't disappear entirely, just become harder to find and not through official channels.

^^ and if Apple has their way, which it seems they will, Flash will be gone soon. I deal with building websites and such, and I am doing my part to switch to HTML5 and away from Flash.

I am going to bump up my rates to cover for another upgrade that will be coming in the future :)

^^ and if Apple has their way, which it seems they will, Flash will be gone soon. I deal with building websites and such, and I am doing my part to switch to HTML5 and away from Flash.

I am going to bump up my rates to cover for another upgrade that will be coming in the future :)

too bad apple is losing market share to android which supports flash ;) and many website have stated they are not dropping flash any time soon

C4' date='

iPhone 4 has been jailbreak, so was 2.0. Tell me how in the world you're trying to run away from DIYers(hackers)???? Isn't/ wasn't it waste of time? :)[/quote']

how did you "break" 2.0?

Lol, did I say I broke it? I said "So was 2.0", it's passive, plz review your English b4 you quote someone.

Archived