C4 Forums | Control4

MyHome Site License?

servpro

Where have you lost value? Did your license for some reason stop working?

No, you have paid for it, and it will continue to work on the devices you've purchased it on.

I don't disagree that it would've been nice for Control4 to provide a less expensive upgrade path to the site license, but offering the site license doesn't diminish the value you've gotten (and can continue to get) from the license already purchased.

I'm not speaking for Control4 when I say this. This is *my own* opinion, not a company line. I haven't asked re: licensing, and they don't consult me to make these sorts of policies.

RyanE

The difference is, because I bought an iphone app for $199, and an iPad app for $99, I have paid $298. If I want a site license, I have to pay an additional $500. For anyone who has not bought any "i" apps, they can pay $500 and be done. They can weigh the option of paying $500 or having a single device license. I did not have that choice. Given that choice I would have gladly paid the $500. But now I have to pay $798 for the equivalent. So they are penalizing anyone who bought a license prior. All I am asking for is for them to recognize that a bunch of us have already paid a good chunk of money for this functionality, and that our cost should be incremental to that. Why is that so hard to understand.

Bottom line is I will vote with my wallet. I just think that its unfortunate that they could have had a) a happy customer and B) more revenue. But instead, they pissed me off and I'm not buying. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

EDIT: clarification

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No' date=' you have paid for it, and it will continue to work on the devices you've purchased it on.

I don't disagree that it would've been nice for Control4 to provide a less expensive upgrade path to the site license, but offering the site license doesn't diminish the value you've gotten (and can continue to get) from the license already purchased.

I'm not speaking for Control4 when I say this. This is *my own* opinion, not a company line. I haven't asked re: licensing, and they don't consult me to make these sorts of policies.

RyanE[/quote']

The difference is, because I bought an iphone app for $199, and an iPad app for $99, I have paid $298. If I want a site license, I have to pay an additional $500. For anyone who has not bought any "i" apps, they can pay $500 and be done. They can weigh the option of paying $500 or having a single device license. I did not have that choice. Given that choice I would have gladly paid the $500. But now I have to pay $798 for the equivalent. So they are penalizing anyone who bought a license prior. All I am asking for is for them to recognize that a bunch of us have already paid for a good chunk of money for this functionality, and that our cost should be incremental to that. Why is that so hard to understand.

Bottom line is I will vote with my wallet. I just think that its unfortunate that they could have had a) a happy customer and B) more revenue. But instead, they pissed me off and I'm not buying. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

I think its just a function of time. As things get older they get cheaper (of course it doesn't explain the price increase for a single license). IMHO you should have the option of buying the $500 license and reselling the single license.

No' date=' you have paid for it, and it will continue to work on the devices you've purchased it on.

RyanE[/quote']

The difference is, because I bought an iphone app for $199, and an iPad app for $99, I have paid $298. If I want a site license, I have to pay an additional $500. For anyone who has not bought any "i" apps, they can pay $500 and be done. They can weigh the option of paying $500 or having a single device license. I did not have that choice. Given that choice I would have gladly paid the $500. But now I have to pay $798 for the equivalent. So they are penalizing anyone who bought a license prior. All I am asking for is for them to recognize that a bunch of us have already paid a good chunk of money for this functionality, and that our cost should be incremental to that. Why is that so hard to understand.

The Iphone app was never priced at 199, but lets just look at what you have spent. 298 over two years. 199 must have been awhile ago, and Ipad came out in April? maybe May.

So ten months for 100 dollars. Now you could have waited until now but you have been using it.

Same with the Iphone app.

Now you want to add an unspecified number of computers. If it is just one then buy the 199. license. You paid that for the Iphone license (and that was just 1 license).

You are mad that New features are being added and they won't "buy back" your old license, I get it.

You have already stated the best protest you can make, don't buy it and teach Control4 a lesson.

Brent

The Iphone app was never priced at 199, but lets just look at what you have spent. 298 over two years. 199 must have been awhile ago, and Ipad came out in April? maybe May.

So ten months for 100 dollars. Now you could have waited until now but you have been using it.

Now you want to add an unspecified number of computers. If it is just one then buy the 199. license. You paid that for the Iphone license (and that was just 1 license).

You are mad that New features are being added and they won't "buy back" your old license, I get it.

You have already stated the best protest you can make, don't buy it and teach Control4 a lesson.

Brent

That's like saying Microsoft shouldn't offer anyone who owns a copy of XP a reduced price to upgrade to Windows7, or a copy of Office 2007 to Office 2010 vs. the full version because they've already been using it. They offer an upgrade path to incent users to purchase the new version. Same applies here. I'm not asking to get it for free, all I'm saying is they should offer an upgrade path from individual "i" licenses to a site license. And that goes for the current licenses as well. I just think it makes good business sense.

And, for the record, I never once said they should "buy back" my old license. Again, I think they should offer an upgrade path to a site license from the individual device licenses.

"teach Control4 a lesson"? That wasn't my point either. My point was that I think they're are missing out on an opportunity because, IMHO, a lot of people will look at the situation and decide not to buy a site license having already spent a lot of money on the "i" licenses. An upgrade path removes that barrier.

I bought the $299 iPhone app and 3x the $99 Ipad app for a grand total of nearly $600. I waited to add the additional iPhone as I was told by C4 last year that it would include 4sight. Looks like to add the iPhone alone it will be $199 or $500 for a site license. I would be willing to pay $199 for a site license but no more than that after what I've already paid.

C4 has really poor customer service when it comes to issues like these.

The Iphone app was never priced at 199' date=' but lets just look at what you have spent. 298 over two years. 199 must have been awhile ago, and Ipad came out in April? maybe May.

Brent[/quote']

That's like saying Microsoft shouldn't offer anyone who owns a copy of XP a reduced price to upgrade to Windows7, or a copy of Office 2007 to Office 2010 vs. the full version because they've already been using it. They offer an upgrade path to incent users to purchase the new version. Same applies here. I'm not asking to get it for free, all I'm saying is they should offer an upgrade path from individual "i" licenses to a site license. And that goes for the current licenses as well. I just think it makes good business sense.

And, for the record, I never once said they should "buy back" my old license. Again, I think they should offer an upgrade path to a site license from the individual device licenses.

"teach Control4 a lesson"? That wasn't my point either. My point was that I think they're are missing out on an opportunity because, IMHO, a lot of people will look at the situation and decide not to buy a site license having already spent a lot of money on the "i" licenses. An upgrade path removes that barrier.

Your right Microsoft does offer that option, but lets take a look at one of their competitors, "Apple". Ilovec4 just sold his Ipad and he mentioned that he had bought some software, (expensive) that he had on it. Come to find out, "Apple" would not allow that. It's tied to HIS account, he cannot transfer them.

Now I happen to think that you like Apple products, but I have not heard you complaining about their policy.

Brent

I am really glad I decided against Apple products a year ago. Now I will buy a site license and run top-grade Asus tablets (which is a full-blown PC and not some half-purpose toy) for about the same money as some paid for highline iPad and a single license.

Yeah, iPad sucks. Mine is long gone...again. I got snookered into buying a second one after the new OS release, and it still sucked.

It really pissed me off when I sold it and couldn't transfer my $120+ worth of iPad software to the new owner.

I am looking forward to the XOOM.

I am using the follwing-

Mini Tower= Asus Rampage Extreme III (overclocked RE3)

All-in-one= Asus ET24XVT (the 3D mac-daddy)

Tablet= Asus EP121 ("triple E" Slate and my C4 interface deluxe!)

All three are workhorses and all replaced Apple products. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've been Mac since 1982 and have converted many people to Mac over the decades but no more. These people I converted are now asking me why I changed and they seem lost after I tell them. I can now say that Apple has a cult-following and little more.

These people I converted are now asking me why I changed and they seem lost after I tell them...........

Which is?

I can now say that Apple has a cult-following and little more.

Yeah but they have the Iphone and a app store that Control4 is copying off of - miserably.

Yes the Xoom looks promising.

I am heading over to Best Buy to get one on pre-order in a few minutes.

controlfouruserguy' date=' which ASUS products are you using?[/quote']

Don't run out too fast. Pre-sales has been pushed to 2/20 from what I here now.

I heard the price was around $800, is that true?

My understanding is the 3G/4G version is $799, but there will be a WiFi only version at $600. I'm buying the 3G/4G version for VZW

Anyone know if the ipad/iphone licenses will be transferrable to the xoom or android based phones? (Im guessing no).

I think NO is a safe bet on that one, but I hope I'm wrong.

Mini Tower= Asus Rampage Extreme III (overclocked RE3)

All-in-one= Asus ET24XVT (the 3D mac-daddy)

Tablet= Asus EP121 ("triple E" Slate and my C4 interface deluxe!)

Do you mind me asking how long that tablet takes to boot up, and what the battery life is like? I have an HP Slate, which I like, but it isn't ideal for me. The iPad is close, but no cigar. I am hoping the XOOM hits the nail on the head. I need something small and lite that I can carry in my briefcase, that I can pull out and in 20 seconds or less be showing a website or powerpoint presentation. The iPad delivers on the PowerPoint part (mostly), except it is such a pain in the ass to put the powerpoint in iTunes, hook the iPad to the computer, wait for it to sync, open Keynote on the iPad, select "Copy from iTunes", select the file, wait for the data transfer, open the presentation and fix all the F'd up fonts and audio/video files that didn't transfer. I can't handle having that extra work. And the lack of Flash makes demonstrating rich media stuff nearly impossible.

I'm hoping with the XOOM I can pack it around with me, quickly unlock it and display powerpoints and flash files, do everything I want to do with it for fun (which isn't much), charge it once or twice a week and call it good.

I think the ASUS is probably just like the Slate in that it takes too long to boot up, and the battery doesn't last long. Am I correct?

Archived