C4 Forums | Control4

MyHome Site License?

servpro

I was reading that Control 4 is coming out with a device license (C4-MyHome-Site-E) that would apply to all devices for your home (much cheaper solution for those who want to use multiple devices)

http://www.control4.com/residential/products/mobile/myhome-pc-and-tablet/

Anyone know the dealer cost and MSRP cost?

Question: I am unsure but I am running 1.7.4 will this work for tablet PC's and laptops?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct in my understanding that there is no upgrade path to a full site license from the existing iPhone and iPad licenses? If so, that is a very poorly thought out pricing scheme. Even Microsoft gives upgrade version pricing vs. full version pricing. I can't see why that wouldn't apply here. I would gladly pay an addional ~$200 for the full site license, but there is absolutely no way I will pay $500 when I've already paid $199 for my iphone license and $99 for my iPad license. Please tell me I've got this wrong and they are not going to completely screw the early adopters of the iPhone/iPad licenses?

Am I correct in my understanding that there is no upgrade path to a full site license from the existing iPhone and iPad licenses? If so, that is a very poorly thought out pricing scheme. Even Microsoft gives upgrade version pricing vs. full version pricing. I can't see why that wouldn't apply here. I would gladly pay an addional ~$200 for the full site license, but there is absolutely no way I will pay $500 when I've already paid $199 for my iphone license and $99 for my iPad license. Please tell me I've got this wrong and they are not going to completely screw the early adopters of the iPhone/iPad licenses?

Good point, with a minor fault. Originally the money that was paid wasn't really Control4's. When people were paying that amount of money they were buying product that was sold by Control UI a totally different company. I assume that when Control4 took control and ownership of the app product line they took ownership of only the product and not the company Control UI which would release them from and responsibility as to service and monies prior to ownership change.

Am I correct in my understanding that there is no upgrade path to a full site license from the existing iPhone and iPad licenses? If so' date=' that is a very poorly thought out pricing scheme. Even Microsoft gives upgrade version pricing vs. full version pricing. I can't see why that wouldn't apply here. I would gladly pay an addional ~$200 for the full site license, but there is absolutely no way I will pay $500 when I've already paid $199 for my iphone license and $99 for my iPad license. Please tell me I've got this wrong and they are not going to completely screw the early adopters of the iPhone/iPad licenses?[/quote']

Good point, with a minor fault. Originally the money that was paid wasn't really Control4's. When people were paying that amount of money they were buying product that was sold by Control UI a totally different company. I assume that when Control4 took control and ownership of the app product line they took ownership of only the product and not the company Control UI which would release them from and responsibility as to service and monies prior to ownership change.

I beg to differ the technicalities on this one. ControlUI had there shot at collecting direct revenue in iTunes. The app was and still is FREE. The customer has paid the dealer, and the dealer, Control4. While Control4 may have been paying a royalty to ControlUI during this time, that end of the transaction is not transparent to the customer.

I'm with Strange_Brew and others on this one. The customer has paid Control4 for the "right to use" the FREE app on their system. And the customers beef is rightly placed with Control4.

We haven't even touched on the hinky nature of the pricing since introduction, the future of Apple's in app purchase requirements, and the fact that the app still has UI inconsistencies and can cause "system issues".

All not handled well IMHO. Here's to hoping the mess gets cleaned up soon :)

Extending special pricing to those of us who have been through the already horribly managed roll-out of the iphone/ipad pricing/products would have been a great chance for a win in the eyes of the end users. Instead they go for the gouge. Those are very short-sighted decisions for something that I can't imagine would have a huge revenue impact (in fact, it may even be positive since it will encourage more early adopters to upgrade). I, for one, will not be buying a site license because they will likely orphan that and/or lower pricing and screw this round of licensees with the next mobile licensing scheme they roll-out. Brutal. I hope someone over there is listening because this is the type of thing that really sours a customer's view of a product/company.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that they could created a limited time upgrade offer and then go to the full price. There were lots of ways to handle this well, they chose the worst possible way.

Based on the architecture of iPhone app, time to open, etc, they're essentially personal convenience applications, and not designed to be full TS replacements.

Would have been a great freebie that could have been used in small one room starter systems, or a marketing piece to ride Apple's coat tails.

Instead: $299 reduced to $99 (-66%) .... then $99 to $199 (+100%). Who's running marketing there ?

Ehhh, ship has sailed already ....

Where have you lost value? Did your license for some reason stop working?

No, you have paid for it, and it will continue to work on the devices you've purchased it on.

I don't disagree that it would've been nice for Control4 to provide a less expensive upgrade path to the site license, but offering the site license doesn't diminish the value you've gotten (and can continue to get) from the license already purchased.

I'm not speaking for Control4 when I say this. This is *my own* opinion, not a company line. I haven't asked re: licensing, and they don't consult me to make these sorts of policies.

RyanE

Archived