C4 Forums | Control4

Pool Control

A friend is going to build a pool in his house. What should be the best equipment to be able to integrate the pool control to the control4 system?

I've heard 2.1 is going to have pool control again. What should he buy??

In my house I have Hayward and not even tried to integrate it. Dont know if its wotrh it. I think there should be something better

Thanks for your help

What is the benefit of having your pool tied into C4? It seems an expensive way to go to turn the pump on/off (I use a $30 intermatic timer) or to change the temp (after mine warms up in the spring, i never adjust the temp)

The only thing I would like, is to have the pool temp on the C4 screen

What is the benefit of having your pool tied into C4? It seems an expensive way to go to turn the pump on/off (I use a $30 intermatic timer) or to change the temp (after mine warms up in the spring, i never adjust the temp)

Integrating lights and any water features would be nice...and the cover of course.

Lights, forgot that, I use a C4 switch.

Regarding the cover, I feel the cover switch should be a press and hold switch near the pool. If you are not in sight, you dont know if something or someone is in it.

Just my 2cents!

edit for typo

Lights, forgot that, I was a C4 switch.

Regarding the cover, I feel the cover switch should be a press and hold switch near the pool. If you are not in sight, you dont know if something or someone is in it.

Just my 2cents!

Agreed on keeping an eye on the cover. Don't completely automate the closing if that sucker...

If all you want to do is turn on/off the pump then C4 would be an expensive way to do that.

Some people have dedicated pool control systems. This is usually additional external hardware that controls various aspects of the pool such as temperature, lights, hot tub, etc. If you have this type of system (and budget) you can integrate the pool control with the C4 system.

Sorry, iam new here.Would like to know what is pool control and where you can find it oor how use it in 2.0?

If you have a compatible jandy or pentair controller and a system on 2.0 with a MiniTouch screen or some other device that runs classic navigator, and the pool controller was integrated with C4, you could use the on-screen to control aspects of your pool system. However, now that 2.1 is out, you don't need the classic navigator as the pool controls have been updated to support the new flash navigator.

Sorry' date=' iam new here.Would like to know what is pool control and where you can find it oor how use it in 2.0?[/quote']

If you have a compatible jandy or pentair controller and a system on 2.0 with a MiniTouch screen or some other device that runs classic navigator, and the pool controller was integrated with C4, you could use the on-screen to control aspects of your pool system. However, now that 2.1 is out, you don't need the classic navigator as the pool controls have been updated to support the new flash navigator.

I assume I will be able to control the heat temperature as well as the pump, correct? I had my Jandy connected to my hc-300 about 2 years ago but my dealer was never able to get them to talk. I am hoping that the 2.1 release may help? Anyone have a screen shot of what this looks like in the new flash navigator?

depends what kind of wire he ran to the pool panel outside.................requires a certain amount of volts...........to the pool contractors equipment inside....that connects to hc300................then pool contractor would need to program his interface................then c4 will be able to talk to

I am in the process of having a pool put in. Can someone tell me what cable needs to be run from the pool control equipment to the HC300? It is a Rs-232?

My pool equipment is nearly 300 feet from my HC300 in my attic rack. Is there a max length to these cables?

THanks

I am in the process of having a pool put in. Can someone tell me what cable needs to be run from the pool control equipment to the HC300? It is a Rs-232?

My pool equipment is nearly 300 feet from my HC300 in my attic rack. Is there a max length to these cables?

THanks

what make and model of pool control? There is usually hardware that allows you to interface the pool control system to the C4 system. The connection to the C4 system is usually serial. You are probably best off putting the pool control interface box close to the C4 controller. I would run at least a Cat-5e from the pool equipment to the C4 system but you should check with the manufacturer of your pool control as to the wiring requirement of their system.

I integrated a Pentair IntellaTouch and ran Cat-5e from the pool equipment back to the C4 rack and put the adapter near the C4 system and used a short serial cable to connect to the C4 controller. You could also probably use 22 or 18 AWG 4 conductor wire that is commonly used for alarm systems.

THanks

I used Cat5e then RJ45 / Serial adapters from my rack to the Pentair Intellitouch in the pool house. Probably ~150'. Works great.

• 3 months later...

There are other uses for this as well. It might be nice to have your pool heater on a timer so that you can not be heating it at times when no one is swimming, or you might want to only have the pool heated up for the weekend so you turn the heater on Friday morning and turn it off on Sunday night.

It also might be nice to be able to have the capability to remotely turn the heater on/off - such as when you have gone away for a few days but forgot to turn the heater off.

And my pool heater has an unsophisticated timer - it only allows you to switch it off once per day and on once per day. Presumably when you integrate it into C4 you could have it shut on/off multiple times per day.

By the way, wasn't Jandy bought out by Zodiac? Can you still buy their controller that interfaces with C4? www.jandy.com redirects to www.zodiacpoolsystems.com

Hi Zaphod. That's all I really want to do as well... Turn on heater. Turn on/off pump. Pool lights etc. Seriously all this could be done really easy at each power socket with a simple wireless relay device with the appropriate C4 driver. These exist for inside GPO's. But what we really need is something like this which is outside (water) rated. A zigbee or zwave wireless relay that is rated for outside use. This seem a no brainer solution to me.....as 1/ being wireless (most pool equipment might be hard to reach with a cat5) and 2/ water proof (most pool equipment is wet ) :cool:

Now lets start searching for something like this....

Bump.

Cody..anyone?

Just were are we at with Pool Control and just what do the new buttons in navigator 2.1 allow us to do? And with what equipment? I just wish there was a wiki on this :)

No new functionality. Still Jandy and Pentair. Just a flash version of the old pool controls.

My pool lights are plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a regular C4 ON/off switch - this C4 switch is inside my pool cabana. Everything else for my pool is controlled manually as I didn't think it was worth the integration cost which sounds like it would have been at least $2000.

Hi Zaphod. That's all I really want to do as well... Turn on heater. Turn on/off pump. Pool lights etc. Seriously all this could be done really easy at each power socket with a simple wireless relay device with the appropriate C4 driver.

You do need at least a wee bit of logic as you don't want to turn off the pump when the heater is hot, you should kill the heater and runt he pump for 5 minutes or so first - but you could probably code that into C4 pretty easily. Adjusting the temp on the heater would be a little trickier.

Hi Zaphod. That's all I really want to do as well... Turn on heater. Turn on/off pump. Pool lights etc. Seriously all this could be done really easy at each power socket with a simple wireless relay device with the appropriate C4 driver.

You do need at least a wee bit of logic as you don't want to turn off the pump when the heater is hot' date=' you should kill the heater and runt he pump for 5 minutes or so first - but you could probably code that into C4 pretty easily. Adjusting the temp on the heater would be a little trickier.[/quote']

Zophod. My heater has a water flow sensor "shut off"... so it won't kick on unless water is flowing thru it, so this isn't a problem.. :)

My pool lights are plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a regular C4 ON/off switch - this C4 switch is inside my pool cabana. Everything else for my pool is controlled manually as I didn't think it was worth the integration cost which sounds like it would have been at least $2000.

This is exactly my setup too. And I totally agree. But wireless relay control of all the loads adds a couple of huge advatages. No cable runs. Easy to retro fit. It can be designed to be site specific..with all the logic tailored specifically for the end user. And potentially a lot cheaper. Also Remote turn on/off of heater and pump is easy to implement. Adding pump shut down into "scenes" could also save power. And all this accessed from anywhere in the house. THe other problem I am finding with pool control systems is my timer resets whenever there is a power outage..which is a huge PITA. I don't know of an outdoor rated UPS! Having it all controlled from inside with a system like C4, would solve this hassle (My C4 is on a UPS)

Guy's. Schnider Electric US make a wireless 30Amp outdoor rated (enclosed from rain/water) relay that would be perfect for controlling pool equipment at a fraction of the cost of these expensive systems. It also includes power and load monitoring. I think it's zigbee too..

I found this out because I googled "Wiser"..as this is the Schneider electric Aussie name used for the Cbus network interface device that I use here..and up came the Schnieder electric "Wiser" power monitoring and load control page...

..it's called "Wiser" in the US. they are two different products (with the same name) made by the same company in different markets. What the..! Anyway

It's a real pity I can't get it here...it would be problematic importing it, because of all the wireless regulations..

Now I hate announcing this sort of thing on a Control4 forum, but sod it, I've had got nowhere here getting info on Control4 pool integration..

Seriously. How do they expect us to cough up 3-5K for a decent pool control solution if we don't even know the model no's, how it integrates, how it looks on the navigator etc..

I mean seriously!

Archived