C4 Forums | Control4

New thermstat with zigbee

td_20

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but that was then, this is now.

That size color display has come down quite a bit in price from when Control4 designed the Wireless Thermostat.

It's interesting, that's for sure. My Aprilaire stats still work fine, and have for 10+ years.

RyanE

Another reason why C4 should transition to mostly a software company....

<Snarky Answer>Well, when you run the company, feel free to change how it's doing business.</Snarky Answer>

:)

Seriously, that has long been an advertised goal of the founders of the company, and I think they do fairly well with their mix of product. When the company was started, there weren't *any* ZigBee or WiFi (or any other industry standard) thermostats, dimmers, keypads, etc. It was necessary to create them, and with them, create the market.

The really nice thing is that Control4's architecture was built for just this sort of thing.

As 3rd-parties create compelling devices such as this, Control4's architecture allows them to be integrated fairly easily, as long as the protocols are available.

RyanE

<Snarky Answer>Well' date=' when you run the company, feel free to change how it's doing business.</Snarky Answer>

Seriously, that has long been an advertised goal of the founders of the company, and I think they do fairly well with their mix of product. When the company was started, there weren't *any* ZigBee or WiFi (or any other industry standard) thermostats, dimmers, keypads, etc. It was necessary to create them, and with them, create the market.

The really nice thing is that Control4's architecture was built for just this sort of thing.

As 3rd-parties create compelling devices such as this, Control4's architecture allows them to be integrated fairly easily, as long as the protocols are available.

RyanE[/quote']

Than why are they still building tablets?

<Snarky Answer>Well' date=' when you run the company, feel free to change how it's doing business.</Snarky Answer>

RyanE[/quote']

Than why are they still building tablets?

If you are talking about the new portable touchscreen I prefer you call it a brick. It is nowhere near the functionality or form factor of a tablet. It is also 2x-6x more expensive than a tablet. Maybe the components are made of gold?

They are building tablets because that remains part of the user experience. Yes you can make an app to run on someone else's device but then you are beholden to them for any updates, changes, bugs, and anything else that might interrupt the end user from actually running their system. The actual user experience had using an app/ipad is completely different from using a dedicated touchscreen. Each has their place -- but the experience is MUCH different.

This is like asking why are they still making remotes when other companies make remotes... ;)

I don't speak officially for Control4 on this forum, but IMHO:

They're making a tablet because there's economic and customer demand justification for one.

I don't quite get why you're so vocally dissatisfied with how Control4 leadership has decided to run *their company*. It's a private company. That's how it works.

RyanE

They're making a tablet because there's economic and customer demand justification for one.

I don't quite get why you're so vocally dissatisfied with how Control4 leadership has decided to run *their company*. It's a private company. That's how it works.

RyanE

Is all of C4's R+D done in Utah?

It's pretty simple RyanE: I have spent thousands of dollars on a product that is not evolving correctly.

You talk about customer demand for the tablet. Prove to me otherwise, but I suspect that it was modeled after a dealer survey asking THEM if customers would buy it.

Obviously you do not speak for the company, but you sure are drinking the Kool Aid.

RyanE

I pray you are correct because I have $30k invested in my system. Although C4 is a private company i do have a passive investment in it and would like to see them successful. I know the leadership doesn't take customer calls or respond back (from first hand experience), hopefully you are right and there truly is customer demand and not just what your dealers are telling you.

I don't owe anything to anyone here, and don't need to *prove* anything that Control4 is doing, or justify Control4's roadmap.

... but you sure are drinking the Kool Aid.

Yeah, I may drink the Kool-Aid, but I also get to see it made, and know the cooks in the kitchen.

RyanE

I don't owe anything to anyone here, and don't need to *prove* anything that Control4 is doing, or justify Control4's roadmap.
... but you sure are drinking the Kool Aid.

Yeah, I may drink the Kool-Aid, but I also get to see it made, and know the cooks in the kitchen.

RyanE

Stay classy.

Can we stop beating on touch screens and start on the current Control4 thermostat? It's a pain in the ass and looks dated. I don't care what good-luck stories are out there, the thing is tough to work with. It's trying to be a end-all product for the HVAC world and ends up being so deep in operation hardly any end-user can dial it in.

If a damn iPad can work a Control4 system, why can't any other third-part stat (with the right stuff) talk to a HC? It's time. It's past due!

Archived