C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 & Nest Thermostat

mensub

No, there's no driver for the Nest Thermostat, and for the one person on these forums that reported asking for the protocol, Nest did not release the protocol to them.

I wouldn't expect a driver for it anytime soon.

RyanE

Uh, OK. I guess I'm a little shocked. What do we actually know about that product and does it answer all needs of the typical Control4 home-owner. I mean, can it even handle a remote sensor and do simple regression to determine optimal climate between two adjacent rooms?

I dig that it is cool looking but what can it actually serve-up for us guys (assuming sucessful partnering does take place)?

I am have a call scheduled for this coming Tuesday with the CEO of Nest to discuss this tops.

From the man himself. My favorite Control4 Executive...Mr Eric Smith.

This is good news Eric! Now, if only the Nest will work with Multi-zone systems such as Bryant Evolution.

It may very well not be in Nest's business model to open up their protocol for a Control4 driver. I really think it would be awesome-cool if they did but I wouldn't hold my breath. There are plenty of really cool products out there that don't integrate very well. :(

Eric is a busy guy, so I'll give a quick update. Nest is currently focused on making sure their launch goes well, so integrating with Control4 is not a top priority at the moment. It seems they are open to integration discussions, but it won't happen out of the gate.

And, as cool as the product may seem, it's not the holy-grail of stats. What is wrong with introducing a programable ZP relay module that locates at the HVAC equipment and keep display on your touchscreens?

My personal desire is to keep my system all Control4. Card Access is a necessity but why not spend your efforts partnering with them to make a smart relay for climate control? I really think the days of wall-wart thermostats are few and Nest seems to think you still need a piece of equipment in your face all of the time.

No, there's no driver for the Nest Thermostat, and for the one person on these forums that reported asking for the protocol, Nest did not release the protocol to them. I wouldn't expect a driver for it anytime soon.

The nest web cloud protocol is simple to mimic.

I tried and can use curl to check status, schedule, and post target temp changes to my nest.

The unique info you need is your nest serial number, nest user id integer, and home.nest.com cookie's cztoken.

Temperatures are stored and transmitted in Celsius aka "target_temperature":22.77777777777778 and time in seconds from start of day.

If you post the command syntax you've reverse engineered, I'm certain someone here will make an attempt at a lua driver.

There is so much personally identifying data in the transactions it would take awhile to redact them. Just use the Tamper addon for Firefox and pay attention to the packet payloads you generate and receive by controlling the web interface. Be sure to use the url decode toggle to reveal the payload syntax.

The clue I will give is the set target temp curl syntax looks like this but with your unique payload data in the ... parts.

curl -v -d "payload=%7B%22payload%22......%22target_temperature%22%3A22.77777777777778%7D......." https://....transport.nest.com:9443/v1/jsonp

-v = verbose for debugging

And, as cool as the product may seem, it's not the holy-grail of stats. What is wrong with introducing a programable ZP relay module that locates at the HVAC equipment and keep display on your touchscreens?

You'd also need a temperature sensor, and some complicated routines (the things the thermostat normally would do itself).

It's a bit more complicated, but I agree, you don't necessarily need wall clutter for thermostat functionality.

RyanE

Archived