C4 Forums | Control4

Nest introduces smoke/carbon detector

Rumors were true... Nest's new product is a smoke/carbon detector.

http://www.nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/#intro

In addition to the usual stuff, includes a bunch of sensors (humidity, 3 activity sensors WiFi etc... ) Curious about the "activity sensors" and how they might be used? IE: Occupancy/motion sensor would be great. There's no mention of how it might integrate with the Nest thermostat, but I'd assume there would be some type of integration?

EDIT to add: It does work with the thermostat - improving Auto-Away feature and automatically turning off your HVAC if alarm sounds. Cool.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Considering that most people have 4+ smoke detectors in their homes, @ $129/each, hard to justify replacing all of them. May be over time. I have 8 total and 4 that have CO detection.

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=58

The following GE Wireless Sensors are supported for use with the Card Access Security Sensor Bridge V2:

-GE Micro Door/Window Sensor

-GE Recessed Micro Door/Window Sensor

-GE Water-Resistant Panic Pendant

-GE Wireless Smoke Detector

-GE Wireless Carbon Monoxide Detector

I hope this helps.

Matt

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=58

The following GE Wireless Sensors are supported for use with the Card Access Security Sensor Bridge V2:

-GE Micro Door/Window Sensor

-GE Recessed Micro Door/Window Sensor

-GE Water-Resistant Panic Pendant

-GE Wireless Smoke Detector

-GE Wireless Carbon Monoxide Detector

I hope this helps.

Matt

Well this doesn't seem to be too cost effective (when compared to the Nest, assuming it eventually integrates with C4). Plus they are separate devices (not dual smoke/CO).

the nest, is Smoke, CO, and has a heat sensor.

Also it tells you with voice the other room that has smoke.

There is nothing even remotely close to it on the market. They have once again redefined a product, and the price point is very good for what you get.

The motion in the unit also works with the thermostat to better the auto away sensing.

The will be releasing a Hard Wired Security system based unit in early 2014.

http://www.nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/inside-and-out/#teardown

They will be releasing a Hard Wired Security system based unit in early 2014.

I just pre-ordered the hard-wired smoke detector for shipping in November. Where'd you hear/read about the 2014 security system? That sounds interesting too.

CO effectively has a vapor density of 1 which is equal to air. This generally means you will find CO at any and all levels of a given space. It will move with normal air flow/currents in your home.

They have indeed added "some" tech to the industry but to say they redefined the market is a stretch. Lots of CO/fire detectors that talk to each other and use voice announcements to alert a resident as the the location of a hazard. The Heat detector isn't a big deal if you have any understanding on fire science. A smoke detector is far better for early notification.

Now some of the other tech is neat but not ground breaking

Show me any detector that does everything the new nest does.

It is that different!

Hmmm, Fire science. If something is burning there will typically be heat, having a sensor increase it's sensitivity based on an increase of heat is a smart thing to do.

There is much they do that is different, and for sure groundbreaking. Not to mention if this puts more and better detectors in peoples homes it WILL save more lives. Now that is ground breaking!!!

CO effectively has a vapor density of 1 which is equal to air. This generally means you will find CO at any and all levels of a given space. It will move with normal air flow/currents in your home.

They have indeed added "some" tech to the industry but to say they redefined the market is a stretch. Lots of CO/fire detectors that talk to each other and use voice announcements to alert a resident as the the location of a hazard. The Heat detector isn't a big deal if you have any understanding on fire science. A smoke detector is far better for early notification.

Now some of the other tech is neat but not ground breaking

CO is almost the exact same density as air. That being said there has been research to suggest a CO detector will typically function marginally better higher up as CO comes from combustion and will typically travel with the heat created from said combustion, and heat rises.

Sounds cool, but I thought you were supposed to put CO sensors close to the ground, not up where smokes go.

I guess I'll have to actually *read* the announcement... :)

RyanE

It's not as if this isn't possible already.

How so' date=' without having to change out my security system?[/quote']

I'm speaking solely of the ability to integrate fire and co alarms into control4 for messaging/alerts and shutting off HVAC units.

If your security system can't be integrated that's your specific situation.

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=89 - dual unit that could be wired to a standard sensor input.

The ABILITY to do all this is there as it is.

This is nothing against or for the nest piece mind you - just clarifying that the ability to do the things you mentioned is there, nest or no nest.

It is that different!

Hmmm, Fire science. If something is burning there will typically be heat, having a sensor increase it's sensitivity based on an increase of heat is a smart thing to do.

There is much they do that is different, and for sure groundbreaking. Not to mention if this puts more and better detectors in peoples homes it WILL save more lives. Now that is ground breaking!!!

http://www.edwardsutcfs.com/sites/default/files/85001-0621%20--%20Intelligent%20Heat,%20Smoke,%20CO%20Detector.pdf

Intelligent alarm unit that bases it's alarm or not on a combination of heat/smoke and has a CO sensor option as well. Much more to it as well. Been around for over 3 years.

Obviously does not do the hvac shut-off and increased occupancy sensing for said t-stat - but that's specific only IF you have a NEST st-stat.

It's a neat piece, and I suspect it will work well and all. But 'groundbreaking' is perhaps a bit much said.

Combining existing capabilities, to me at least, is never 'groundbreaking'. Smart, good policy and commendable for sure - groundbreaking and redefining ... not so much.

The part you linked does not have a built in CO, it does not have WiFi, it also does not have the ability to tell you where another detector in the system has gone off, it also does not test itself and report back that it is functioning and online with full status multiple times a day, most with heat do not heighten the smoke detection when heat rises, no other detector lets you wave your had to shut off a false alarm.

There is nothing even close in the feature set on the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no doubt this will increase the chance of saving lives.

It's not as if this isn't possible already.

How so' date=' without having to change out my security system?[/quote']

I'm speaking solely of the ability to integrate fire and co alarms into control4 for messaging/alerts and shutting off HVAC units.

If your security system can't be integrated that's your specific situation.

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=89 - dual unit that could be wired to a standard sensor input.

The ABILITY to do all this is there as it is.

This is nothing against or for the nest piece mind you - just clarifying that the ability to do the things you mentioned is there, nest or no nest.

No battery option, ugly as sin, no wifi, no voice, no ability to report daily status to know the system is working everyday.

I bet it isn't much cheaper then the nest will be. Retrofit is a huge area of the market and no doubt the nest ease of install is much more versatile by have hardwired and battery options.

much more in your face LED to keep the home owner aware of status, as well as integration with an mobile app.

this is about saving lives, there isn't a part better built to save lives then what they have will release, as I'm sure they have done their testing to ensure this unit performs.

Being able to tell you there is smoke in the bedroom at a very early time frame means you aren't wondering where the problem is and even 10 seconds can be a huge difference insaving lives and property.

I can envision them even announcing the fire extinguisher is under the kitchen sink, as in a time of confusion being able to tell you details can make a difference.

It is that different!

Hmmm' date=' Fire science. If something is burning there will typically be heat, having a sensor increase it's sensitivity based on an increase of heat is a smart thing to do.

There is much they do that is different, and for sure groundbreaking. Not to mention if this puts more and better detectors in peoples homes it WILL save more lives. Now that is ground breaking!!![/quote']

http://www.edwardsutcfs.com/sites/default/files/85001-0621%20--%20Intelligent%20Heat,%20Smoke,%20CO%20Detector.pdf

Intelligent alarm unit that bases it's alarm or not on a combination of heat/smoke and has a CO sensor option as well. Much more to it as well. Been around for over 3 years.

Obviously does not do the hvac shut-off and increased occupancy sensing for said t-stat - but that's specific only IF you have a NEST st-stat.

It's a neat piece, and I suspect it will work well and all. But 'groundbreaking' is perhaps a bit much said.

Combining existing capabilities, to me at least, is never 'groundbreaking'. Smart, good policy and commendable for sure - groundbreaking and redefining ... not so much.

The part you linked does not have a built in CO, it does not have WiFi, it also does not have the ability to tell you where another detector in the system has gone off, it also does not test itself and report back that it is functioning and online with full status multiple times a day, most with heat do not heighten the smoke detection when heat rises, no other detector lets you wave your had to shut off a false alarm.

There is nothing even close in the feature set on the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no doubt this will increase the chance of saving lives.

You may want to re-read.

-Option for CO included version

-Ability to sound other locations or separate audible alert locations

-Constant Self diagnostics and alerts and feedback to a controller

-Controller alerts when a unit is off-line or mis-located.

Again - the NEST takes some other combinations and puts it all together. Good, I'd even say better. But not groundbreaking.

Oh I read those features aren't even close to similar.

I could care less if the detector tells it self its working. Being connected via Wifi and able to send a hearbeat signal is much more useful. Also most people do not have an alarm for this to be wired to.

The nest will verbally tell you via the other detectors where the issue is. Rather then a screeching siren via your solution.

Keep telling yourself it's the same device. The nest is better in every feature, and easier to use.

Your device is about the same as an apple and orange both have vitamin C. Given the option of the nest vs your Edwards, I'm willing to bet 99% of the population would pick the nest.

Archived